WFA Course

Discussion in 'Search, Rescue and Technical Skills' started by Kevo, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Kevo

Kevo Member

We had 10 team members complete the NASAR Wilderness First Aid course over the weekend. I had a ton of fun in the class and our instructor was top notch. One step closer to the sweet SAR Tech 2 cert!
    IMG_20200919_1520271.jpg
    IMG_20200920_0931551.jpg
    I didn't get permission from the other members to post pics of them so y'all get a couple shots of yours truly instead.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I always enjoy first aid courses. No matter how many I do (partially because of evolution and partially the experience of the trainers) I always learn something new. They are the one thing I encourage EVERYONE I know to do.

Anything that stood out for you on this one ?

Strigidae and Kevo like this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Member

Same here, I love a good refresher.

There were definitely some differences compared to what I've had previously in first aid and EMT-B training. Lot's of emphasis on improvising on what would be available in the field. The assumption being that you'll be spending an extended period of time with the pt before evac is possible. There was also a lot of work on making very durable bandages and splints. I'm oversimplifying, but a lot of EMT class was recognizing what is wrong, gauze and diesel, pack em up and haul ass. The Wilderness part makes you think about how to wrap something up for a long walk or carry out, and how to come up with things once you've exhausted your supplies that were carried in.

C99c and Jeff Randall like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

That's good stuff !

Strigidae and Kevo like this.