Skills fun at the Park.

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by WOODSDEVIL, May 7, 2022.

1. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Day off yesterday. Went out to the local Regional Park to get some sun and nature immersion. Took along a shelter my wife sewed for me sometime back, building it from canvas and she placed reinforcing tabs around the edges. I used toggles to attach it to the ridgeline. I needed some more, so carved some with an MT from a piece of Sequoia redwood limb that the tree had dropped.

DSCN0569.JPG DSCN0566.JPG DSCN0571.JPG DSCN0570.JPG

I decided to carve a stirrer for my bushpot, but just for fun did it with a sketchy sawback knife my daughter gave me. "Go have an adventure with it", she said. I wouldn't hang my life on it, but it is okay for fun stuff.

DSCN0567.JPG DSCN0573.JPG

I had a banana for breakfast and after a while, realized I was shaking pretty good, so I rummaged in the truck box and came up with a can of Pork `n beans, which I ate cold, lol. Nobody knows when these first appeared, but they were prominently mentioned in an 1832 American cookbook, and have been called America's first convenience food. I also carry a couple of cans in the truck box for just these situations. The first canned P&B were offered in 1880. Full can went about 420 cals.

DSCN0572.JPG

It was a great day and I sure enjoyed just kicking back and being outdoors. Every community has a micro-wilderness or park you can use. Micro-adventuring, backyardsing, day camping, whatever name it goes by, better to get out and spend a few hours practicing some skills than dreaming about the epic adventure you may never take, and it is good prep for when you do go so you will know what works and what does not. On the frontier, they'd do what was called a "Hudson Bay Start" in which they only went a few miles and set up their first camp; if you realized anything was forgotten, it wasn't so far out you couldn't go back and get it. Smart folks indeed.

Vid I shot around the camp:

Back to work tomorrow, but relaxed and with good weekend memories!

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Awesome

WOODSDEVIL likes this.
  3. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Especially with gas so high right now. Has me looking for opportunities that don't require a lot of fuel.

Bushman5 and anrkst6973 like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yea I hear ya - we just hit $2.25 CAD per litre this weekend. Let's just say I've pumped the tires on the truck to 40 psi, and I've been doing a LOT of hyper mileing and coasting down hills in neutral with the truck.