Chiappa Little Badger .22 Pack Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Goose, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Goose

Goose Member

Anyone got one of these? I've been seriously considering picking one up as a lightweight pack rifle. Comes in at 2.93 lbs.

For those that have researched pack rifles, I am curious how this stacks up against other options out there.

I am assuming all the rails are removable. Are they metal or polymer? I would likely remove them, so that may shave off a few extra ounces.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    The Warrior likes this.
  2. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

I've shot one. It works as advertised.

3. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Steel. All steel. Folds up nice and could fit in a pack.

Also available in .22 mag, which some people will tell you can be used to shoot .22LR as well. It is not recommended, but some will tell you that you can. Some type of sleeve deal to make up for the shorter shell.

Funny thing. Saw one at a gun show that they had mounted a $5,000 military grade starlight scope on. It was pretty cool.

4. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Except the peep site. That is plastic and not steel. And the cartridge holder in the stock is not metal. I have thought that you could put together a nice survival kit to fit into that stock.

5. Mudman

Mudman Member

I used to think they were stupid...

Until I played with one, now I really want one.

6. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Me, too.

7. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I think there is also one in .17HMR

8. Mudman

Mudman Member

The one I played with was suppressed too! Man it was soo awesome, heavier than expected as well. In photos it looks cheap, lightweight (in a bad way) and poorly made. But in person I found it to be the complete opposite.

Being in CA, and 22LR already being as rare as hens teeth. I'd want the 17HMR version, granted ammo for that isn't any much better in terms of availability- the caliber itself holds my interest.

Didn't have a 10/22 to compare but it actually felt heavier. It's the ugly duckling of rimfires.

9. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I do believe the barrel is threaded so it should accept a suppressor. Also being a single shot break action you should also be able to shoot .22 shorts, too. That would give you a low power, quiet gun that should not attract much attention or scare away game.

10. Mudman

Mudman Member

I don't remember what model suppressor he had, but it was a mindf**k as that was my first time with suppressed. Couldn't wrap my mind around such a thing could be so quiet, I've had farts louder than that thing. 22 short? now your just getting into sorcery!

Need to find someone out here with the 17hmr version. I'd like to try one of those for sure.

11. indulf

indulf Member

i almost bought one at a pawn shop near me a few months ago, but the guy wouldn't come off the price. it seems very well made.

i ended up with a marlin papoose that my uncle gave me. i'd still like to grab one of these some day - neat little rig!

12. JAD

JAD Member

13. indulf

indulf Member

yeah those are cool too. my papoose comes in a nice little nylon bag that slips in my pack pretty easily too, but it's not as self-contained. plus, it was $free.99, so i can't complain! :)

14. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

You want something even smaller and lighter? Look up the Crickett 22lr. Single shot with peep/iron sights, small enough to to put in the "pass thrus" on a pack. Drop dead reliable too. :)

15. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I believe @esee6&3 has one in .17HMR.

16. Medicth

Medicth Member

I had one of the armalite AR-7's growing up, it was my squirrel gun.
    I loed that gun, really miss it, been looking to get another one just for nostalgia's sake.

17. indulf

indulf Member

the savage rascal is a better rifle. comparable size / just a touch more expensive.

18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

That is a sweet looking 22, I don't think I've ever run across one (but truthfully I wasn't looking either :) ). The Cricketts seem to be everywhere...there were 3 in the case at the local big box last time I looked, an od green, a wood, and a fluorescent pink, all at just over a $100. Hard to pass up a functioning firearm at that price point.

19. indulf

indulf Member

no doubt! the rascal is pre-tapped for scope rings, has a way better trigger, the iron sight is better quality, and the cricket safety is annoying as crap. no cocking knob either - the rascal is like a real bolt action rifle.

20. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

My interest is peaked