Re-curved blade stones

Discussion in 'Baryonyx Knife Co.' started by JD Miller, Jul 15, 2017.

1. JD Miller

JD Miller Member

Benjamin
    Do you have any rounded stones for sharpening something like a Becker Bk4 or other re-curve blades ?

I see you have a ceramic rod . Is that like a 1000 gt like your ceramic stone?

I also see that "Bull Thistle", but that's a 120 gt I think, probably too course

Something 240- 320 rounded would seem to be good.

I think I saw Norton has a round stone.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

The ceramic rods we have aren't the same sort of sintered technical ceramic the old economy stones were, and the supply of those has sadly been exhausted, to boot. The grits on all of our stones are in ANSI/CAMI standard, which is different than what the Japanese standards (JIS) is and if you convert the grit size you'll find the stones are finer than you probably thought. ANSI 400 is the equivalent of JIS 700. Honestly, the Bull Thistle would work well in that setting because while it's certainly a coarse grit it's formulated to minimize burr formation. It just gives you a toothy slicing edge, which really works best on vegetation. The Arctic Fox canoe-shaped scythe stone would do well on it.

3. JD Miller

JD Miller Member

Thanks
    So what grit are the ceramic rods you carry?

4. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

The manufacturer doesn't have a specified grit on them but they feel similar to stoneware. They're pretty fine.

5. JD Miller

JD Miller Member

Thanks

FortyTwoBlades likes this.