Dark Earth vs OD Coatings For Military Use

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by twd_sbct, Jan 15, 2021.

?

OD or Dark Earth

1. OD

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dark Earth

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. twd_sbct

twd_sbct Member

Would Dark Earth or OD be the better coating choice for military applications? I have never seen the Dark Earth in person but own a few ESEE's in OD.

Does the Dark Earth lean towards a copper / bronze color or is it a more flat coyote ?

I live in Michigan so for off-duty use which would be better for the north east?

Also, is the Junglas only made in Dark Earth? I didn't see a part number for OD on the website currently.

I look forward to your responses.

2. Paul Revear

Paul Revear Member

Everything is better in OD. Junglas comes in quite a few colors. Mine is OD

The Warrior likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I think it would honestly depend on your application as "military" is a pretty broad brush. For example, if you are mostly using it on base to break open cases/boxes/gear I would lean to orange so you can find it and also see who is walking away with it at a given moment. If you are talking about in the "field" honestly desert/OD/black will serve you equally well as for the most part the knife will be sheathed 99% of the time so the actual blade colour is of little consequence. It may also (if you are concerned with "blending in") be about the general environment you believe you will be deployed to and/or the location you will be based from. My vote would probably be black as (like a cocktail dress) it goes with everything.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Drew RedBear and Twoody88 like this.
  4. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Rusto or krylon makes for a quick colour change on a user too !!

Drew RedBear, IW17 and erik like this.
  5. twd_sbct

twd_sbct Member

Thanks for the replies, just wondering for those who have seen the dark earth in person, is it closer to tan or coyote brown?

pictures online make it occasionally look like magpul FDE, and others appear bronze / copper.

my AO in Michigan would be primarily woodland with seasonal changes of course.

6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

This is the closest I could find to the actual FDE color. As for which color, for woodland I would go with the FDE. It'll blend in some and be easier to find than a dark OD green if dropped.

Attached Files: