Unveiling the BYXCO "Black Magic" Honing Plate!

Discussion in 'Baryonyx Knife Co.' started by FortyTwoBlades, Apr 29, 2019.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I've been experimenting with these for over a year now, and it's finally time to go public with them! Much like sintered alumina ceramic stones, these are ultra-hard fully fused stones produced without binder under enormous heat and pressure until the grains lock together, much like sedimentary stone does in nature. A common issue with alumina ceramics is that since they do not shed grit, the surface does eventually blunt and needs periodic refreshing. While sintered silicon carbide ceramic is no exception to this, its higher hardness reduces the rate of this wear, and its higher friability allows the grains themselves to fracture under pressure to expose fresh surface, which further extends the life of the surface before requiring dressing. Inexpensive lapidary diamond may be used to recondition the surface if necessary, but I have yet to need to do so with any of my test pieces despite using them extensively.

When seeking out a suitable grade of production for my purposes I did end up with some test pieces with significant warps in them that I lapped flat with lapidary diamond on glass, and it worked fantastically, but none of the test pieces have needed resurfacing from honing wear. All I've ever needed to do was wipe steel dust off the surface with the side of my thumb and keep on honing. These have been my finishing stone on almost all of my edged tools, regardless of if they're set up with a coarse slicing edge or a finely polished push-cutting one. They cut almost alarmingly fast for how fine they are, as well.

beestokk, TerryD, C99c and 3 others like this.
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

IW17 and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

4. JAD

JAD Member

Thanks for the preview.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  5. Kevo

Kevo Member

I'll take an 8"x3" please and thank you. ;)

Great sounding stone. Is water, oil, or dry giving you the best results? I could see something that size replacing my mini arkies for field finishing.

6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

An 8x2 is planned, but no plans for an 8x3 at this point in time. Maybe in the distant future, though. I typically use a little water, since it helps prevent a buildup of particles on the stone's surface, but often use it dry since it's just being used for final honing, so it's not like there's too much buildup typically, and what there is can just be wiped off with the pad of your thumb.

TerryD and Kevo like this.
  7. Kevo

Kevo Member

The 8x3 was only a little tongue in cheek. A nice quick finishing stone would definitely fill in some gaps in my sharpening rotation though.

8. junglebum

junglebum Member

if it's as good as your puck I'll be buying one for sure