Unhealthy survival

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Drew RedBear, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

There are those of us that aren't in the best of health but still like to camp, hike, or just get out. But what if a situation arises that we get lost, injured, or for whatever reason have to survive? What if we can't carry a lot? What are some essentials that we should think about carrying that won't overload our weight limit? For example:
    What to pack in a first aid kit
    What knife to bring
    Specific foods (dependant on health, like for diabetics)
    Extra clothing (season dependant)
    Etc....

For me, I have type 2 diabetes and heart disease and I have stints (if that matters).
    Are there any good books or readings for such things?

2. Kevo

Kevo Member

I'm sure there are lots if guys with better advice than me, so take it for what you paid lol.

Meds are a big one. At least a days worth of your regular rx stuff is good to have handy for an unexpected stay anywhere. If you take blood thinners, then even minor cuts can become a big problem. Bleeding control is something to prioritize in your kit then.

Communication and access to call for help is also a big thing. I know nobody wants to feel like they have a life alert, but a plb or gps like the inreach can make a huge difference. Here is a great example:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/23/us/washington-runner-injured-crawled-eight-hours/index.html

This guy broke his leg on a trail and had to crawl 6 miles to get into cell phone range. He could have cut his rescue time down significantly with a gps distress call.

3. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I'm sure I could think of a laundry list of crap that I pack. But Kevo hit on a really important one to me. That's bleeding control. I have a small red pack on the back of my main bag. It has nothing but bleeding control supplies. My less critical "boo boo box" lives in my shoulder bag in case I get a small cut, scrape, sting, or headache. I kayak and camp into some more remote areas where I'm at and I spend a lot of time swinging an axe or machete in the process. I've been seriously contemplating getting a plb, also something Kevo mentioned. I've also been wanting some training. My question for ESEE in the Izula II GAW thread was asking if they plan to do a wilderness medicine course this year. I could use it.

4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Thank you both. I am on blood thinners so that's definitely a concern. I have a small ifak but nothing for clotting blood so I'll add that to it as well. I usually take all my meds with me also, because if I get pulled over there may be an issue lol. Plus I like to know I'm covered that way. I was thinking of looking into a GPS but I D thinking maybe a two way radio also? Maybe as a back up.

The Marsh Gorilla, Kevo and Kaw-liga like this.
  5. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Identifying hypoglycemia, which most diabetics are masters at doing, would be a priority. Increased activity can certainly put you in that state. Cool, pale and diaphoretic should signal you to test blood sugar on the trail and of course have a contingency plan.
    Hyperglycemia typically wouldn’t be a concern. Wound management skills due to anticoagulant therapy is a given.

6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

You make some valid and important points here. I don't test my sugar levels on a regular basis as I should, but being in a situation it will definitely be more imperative to check .

The Marsh Gorilla, Kevo and Kaw-liga like this.
  7. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

I keep a couple of Starbucks Honey packets around almost always.
    I was camping on an Island in central Oregon with a guy who had just been diagnosed with diabetes and the medicine he was taking lowered his blood sugar too much. He went back to his tent feeling sick and a little while later I hear him asking for a spoon full of honey.
    I guess it did what he wanted because he was up and around in no time.
    I don't understand all the science and microbiology of it all.
    Those packets don't take up much space in a kit.

8. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

That's actually a really good idea, thank you.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  9. C99c

C99c Member

If you don't have access to the honey packets or want to use local honey instead for the added benefits it's super easy to store them in a section of sealed drinking straw just like people do with spices or tinder.
    I keep some in both my hiking and running/biking kits for a quick snack or to add to coffee.

10. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

That's also a great idea. I think there's a local honey farm nearby so I'll check them out.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.