Micro Steak Grill

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushman5, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

whipped this up today , for grilling a steak at Camp 4 later on.

[​IMG]

Datilite, vBlake, CWB and 4 others like this.
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

What did you use for the rods?

3. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Interesting timimg. I have been toying with making some type of portable Camp grill (more oriented towards backpacking as far as as size/weight) and am curious what people are looking for.

Nice expedient model you came up with. If you had more options, what would you like to see?

Theodore likes this.
  4. Theodore

Theodore Member

Are you just going to dump coals in it? Or are you going to cut a feed door and perhaps a low intake hole?

I like it.

Dagwood likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

just some 1/4" mild steel i had laying around.

nah, quick and dirty , dump charcoal into it, a dash of coleman fuel to get er going, let the charcoal burn a while then add some damp applewood or hickory . Oil the rods and slap that steak onto it.

Stainless, rectangular build (for those longer steaks, fish, sausages etc) ....... micro hibachi style...... something that will NOT WARP after high heat usage :) (count me in for one)

something like this, but better........Non folding is fine if it is a small unit...(less than 4" tall) in fact, a basic stainless steel rectangular box, no moving parts, all one piece except for the removable grill grate, would be perfect. 6" wide x 10" long x 3" tall. No feet or anything. something EASY to pack in a vertical molle pouch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Zeek, Theodore, Dagwood and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

I had been thinking something that was totally packable. All stainless obviously. Two end pieces made of square stock possibly (that run the long way) and then the rods would slide into blind holes and be able to screw the two end rods down on either end to lock the whole thing together. And then have four legs that thread into it to support it. Still in concept mode... Feel free to chime in.

Ok, just saw your edit. I wouldn't be doing a box for it like the picture. Nice grill, just for this one I am going for something smaller that can be put into a sleeve and packed away.

Theodore and Dagwood like this.
  7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Ok, I can admit the "build" was beyond my ability to access the tools and materials for what I envisioned...so my beloved bought a ti version from sno-peak. Very nice little grill, folds flat, weighs little. My test found it works great with charcoal, not so good with wood fire. Doesn't seem to draw air as needed for wood. It's not a diy, but an option for those with limited access to supplies....

Zeek likes this.
  8. CWB

CWB Member

Anymore pics bm?

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ in my Adventure Thread! :)