The Grimalkin Lives!

Discussion in 'Baryonyx Knife Co.' started by FortyTwoBlades, Apr 5, 2019.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

A few years ago, I shared some images here of a little utility fixed blade I'd designed and hoped to have made for me by Imacasa. However, they bafflingly considered it too similar to the Condor Bombus (it's radically different!) and declined my request as a result. That ended up being for the best, because it ultimately led to me finding a way to get it produced right here in the USA. I was determined to get the design to market one way or another, and I did a bit of digging around to find a way of getting them done up, resulting in the final product you see here: an American-made knife done with a full flat grind in 1095 at 58 RC at a reasonable price point probably not too far off from what it would have cost to have made out of country!

[​IMG]

I've been using one of the pre-production prototypes for everything, and it's an absolute joy to use. It was envisioned as a compact do-all that would be comfortable without the need for any handle wrap or scales, but readily able to be outfitted with either, and scale kits will be available in the near future. The oval handle is designed to nestle into the hollow of the palm, which allows it to be comfortable, secure, and versatile in terms of hand holds without requiring a large handle. It's at home in the woods, in the workshop, on a job site, or around the house performing petty tasks. I'm immensely pleased to be finally bringing it to market!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mudman, Kevo, The Warrior and 7 others like this.
  2. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Looks very utilitarian. Any idea on a price point? Or a kydex production sheath?

RocketmanDane and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

CONGRATS MAN! !!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  4. FortyTwoBlades

MSRP is only $44.98, introductory pricing of $33.74, and I'm exploring options for kydex as an add-on, but if we find a manufacturing partner for those it'll be as an optional item like the scale kits will be. May also offer leather sheaths as an option. The included HDPE one looks decent, works great, and keeps the cost low. :)

5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Looks like a hunter or fisherman's dream 42. I like it! The price point is spot on too. I'm endlessly impressed with your desire to put quality in the hands of working class people. Salute!

6. FortyTwoBlades

That's the idea! It's the Maine way to love a good deal and to pass it on when it's within your power, and my philosophy is that a good design doesn't count for much if people can't get their grubby mitts on it and USE it! Affordable gear is where the rubber meets the road. :D

Delkancott and anrkst6973 like this.
  7. Stagehand

Stagehand Member

Very Nice...My order is in!

8. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I remember your original work on that, it’s a phenomenal design in hand, and I’m very glad to see it made it into production finally!
    Excited to see the scale kits for it, are they going to be a bolt on design like the Izula or Becker Necker?

9. IW17

IW17 Member

I'm definitely interested in your ideas on the handle kits. Are you planning on micarta? I'd love to see something thin. The bk11 scales from kabar come to mind. I love that thin profile on a small knife.

10. FortyTwoBlades

The scale kits' first offering will be in Richlite, to the pattern shown here, though these are ones I made out of black locust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Couple of new questions 42. What is Richlite? Is is customizable? Could I put a Rocky Mountain tread pattern on it like we do micarta? I would put that rear handle screw in the top hole...just aesthetics, but that might mean some drill work to make it countersink/flush. Doable? Next, Are you adding your poly sheaths as an option on the website? Maybe in the "upgrade" section?

12. FortyTwoBlades

It comes with the HDPE sheath shown in the first photo. Richlite is basically an eco-friendly paper/phenolic laminate similar to paper micarta. It's used for everything from cutting boards and countertops to architectural elements, skateboarding park surfaces, and guitar fretboards. Putting the rear bolt in the upper portion would make proper lanyard use a bit less conducive. Because of how it nestles in the hollow of the palm, your pinky finger would be running right over the lanyard hole.

[​IMG]

13. FortyTwoBlades

The bolts used are #10-24 machine screws mated to self-clinching fasteners (typically used for sheet metal too thin to tap), so you'd be able to use whatever variety of them you'd like if making your own scales. They're also compatible with Corby bolts as a permanent option.

14. McKROB

McKROB Member

Do you ship to Canada?

15. FortyTwoBlades

Yup! The website only calculates Priority Mail International, but the Grimalkin is small and light enough that it can ship First Class International for less, so just drop us an email with your postal code if you'd like a quote. :)