Sleeping bag temp rating?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Clown, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Clown

Clown Member

Does anyone have any clues as far as how to tell what temp a bag is rated for?
    I've got a Mountain Hardware bag that I've had forever and I cant recall what its rated for. Cant find a rating on the tags. Trying to plan for some hammock camping in chilly weather this fall.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

If it is not on the bag or stuff sack the only other way is through the maker's website perhaps ? Ratings are highly subjective as well, depending on if you are a cool/warm sleeper etc. I also warn people that those ratings are more about "you won't die" if the temp drops to that, not that you will be all toasty at -20C.

CCMI, IW17, Kylemeister and 1 other person like this.
  3. IW17

IW17 Member

Exactly. Those are survival ratings. Generally I buy a bag rated 20 degrees lower than temps I'm sleeping in. As far as figuring out yours, I'd call them. Depending on how old the bag is it might not be listed on the site. Also if you've used it a lot, and stored it in a stuff bag or rolled up somewhere, odds are that it's filling isn't as loomy as it was and won't be suitable for its temp rating.

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Down bags are also prone to shedding over their life so lowering their warmth. I have only just had my old -20C down bag cleaned and repacked. Worth it when I found the replacement cost was close to $2K....

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Clown

Clown Member

I ended up calling Mountain Hardwear to see what I could find out. The customer service rep was very friendly and eager to help but ultimately I think she told me the wrong model. I did some more searching online and the closest I can figure is that I probably have a thirty degree bag.

It worked well enough last year with temps at night hovering around thirty. I may give it a try again this year unless I can find a good deal on something else before October gets here. I'm trying to upgrade/lighten up some of my gear this year on a tight budget.

Ideally I'd like to switch to a quilt I stead of a sleeping bag but I've got to find an affordable option.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

you could try adding a poncho liner if you get cold. I have a NASA/causality/SOL bag to go over the outside too. The 2 items together add near nothing to your load but many degrees of warmth to your bag.

7. Clown

Clown Member

Decided I think I'm going to switch over to a quilt from Hammock Gear. Now I just need to sell a couple knives to fund it...

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Ive never looked back after changing to a quilt. Hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

9. Clown

Clown Member

That's great to hear! I'll be placing my order this week. With a nine week backlog I hope it gets here in time.