5COL - Whirl-Pak waterbag review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bushman5, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Picked up these Whirl-Pak water bags from 5COL a while back. They are made by Nasco. I bought these with own money.

My goal with these was to stash several packs of these all over the load out. They are 1 liter each, food grade plastic, no odor. They weigh next to nothing. Can be used for water collection/purification/storage or have multi use as food bags, berry collecting bags, solar water sterilization , (link 2 - SODIS) etc. 4mm plastic construction (sonic welded) and can stand on end. 6 of these bags, folded up take up approx 4" x 5" x 1/8" your kit. (very little room). You can literally tuck one pack (6 bags) in each pocket and have upwards of 30+ liters water storage capacity (unfilled) in one jacket.....

[​IMG]

These bags are sterile (originally made for lab use). There is a perforated tear off on each bag, this has to come off to use the bag. Once opened the bag has two plastic wrapped aluminum tie offs to seal the bag (roll bag up, secure tabs). There is also a small space on the bag to write on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

filled with creek water. This water from this creek has made me ill before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

added two PRISTINE tabs, rolled up the bag and secured the tabs. Now the tabs are not 100% secure, not like a container with a screw on lid. However, i was able to gently shake the bag to mix the PRISTINE tabs. Then I let it settle for 30 minutes. (one could also simply place the Whirl-Pak filled with water in the sun fro 5 - 6 hours)

[​IMG]

solar sterilization

[​IMG]

after 30 minutes (water treatment tabs) or 5-6 hours (solar sterilize) time to hydrate. Unroll the bag and you have fresh clean sterile water. You can roll up the bag if you still have water in it and carry it like a water bottle.

[​IMG]

pretty durable bags, Even after much usage if they can no longer hold water (pinholes from wear and tear), they can still be used to hold gather/store food, or collect / store tinder etc.

10/10 product.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    SC864, SMD226, 5col and 2 others like this.
  2. animalinstinct

animalinstinct Member

Nice review. Good info. I just read your link to UV purifying and did some research. I had no clue this could be done. Amazing

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for an awesome review, @Bushman5 ! I like these bags for what they are: a super compact emergency water storage solution that is sized for most water treatment tablets. And they're inexpensive. They're often included in military survival kits for these reasons, and ESEE includes them in their Mess Tin Survival Kit and Advanced Survival Kit.

BUT, I have one gripe with them, and that is that the closure doesn't hold well when the bag is under pressure (like if you had it in your pack, for instance). To address this, we brought in another American-made water storage bag as a step up from the Whirl-Pak bags. It has a screw top closure. You can carry it in your pack, stand on it, smack it against trees, drop it, throw it, and freeze it and it won't leak.

SC864, koolaidnd and Bushman5 like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ good stuff! my only issue looking at those new water bags is they dont pack that flat.....unlike
    the ones i have, i have literally stuff a 6 pack in every pocket and i dont even know they are there.....

koolaidnd and 5col like this.
  5. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

That's true. I get a little frustrated about that when we're packing the collapsible bottles into hard-sided containers. Those mouths/caps take up some space.