Irons in the Fire...

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by VaughnT, Sep 9, 2016.

1. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

For all those that like hand-forged bits of blacksmith work, let's get to posting!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Zeek, KnOeFz, trench and 2 others like this.
  2. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

One of my "cornucopia" style of flint strikers. They're big enough to do the job, but small enough to wear as a pendant or on your kit as a bit of flair.

[​IMG]

Rune pendants carved and ready for heat coloration and wax finish.

[​IMG]

An Otzi style knife in the works....

[​IMG]

Finished Otzi style knife. The handle is pear wood from the back yard. The blade is Admiral Steel's 1070/1080 alloy and is held into the handle with just epoxy. The cord binding and pitch glue are more decorative and add to the overall look.

[​IMG]

And, of course, what's life without a Dragon's Fang?

Making these Dragon Fangs takes ages and it's hard to get motivated sometimes, but I love seeing how they turn out. I work organically, without a plan, and change things up constantly. Not knowing how the Fang will look until the end is part of the fun of making them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to follow.........

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I love this stuff and had big plans to get into it but the anvil I was getting from an old (80's) farmer was stolen before he could get out of the hospital to go pick it up.

Thief probably sold it for $20.00 worth of Meth.

4. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

Don't let that stop you, hoss. There's always another anvil right around the metaphorical corner.

5. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

That was several years ago. Still on my bucket list, but I already have so many "irons in the fire" that I am lucky to get my shoes on every morning. Great work by the way.

6. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

Tools of the trade.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mudman

Mudman Member

Sub'd. =)

8. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

When you happen to find one of your granddad's old masonry hammers in your bucket of bits and bobs, but you don't need a masonry hammer and don't want to disrespect your granddad's memory by throwing it away.....

[​IMG]

Heat it up and make something that your granddad would be proud of.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, no, I still haven't had the heart to put a handle on it and test it out. She's a sexy adze, probably as sexy an adze as ever there was, but I like looking at her as she sits on the desk holding down papers. I don't know if I could bring myself to actually haft her and sink her into some wood.

9. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

If you need a hook to help organize all your bushcraft gear, why settle for some ugly run-of-the-mill hook from one of those big box stores?

These actually came about when I needed a hook to get some cords organized in the shop and looked around for a bit of scrap to use. There in my bucket of bits and bobs was a rust old nail just begging for a new lease on life.... and how could I say no?

12" of Iron Goodness was soon transformed into what I like to think is one of my signature designs. Maybe it's not Prada or Gucci, but folks do seem to like them. Who would have thought, right?

[​IMG]

10. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

One of the interesting things about blacksmithing is that there's always some way you can repurpose the steel you find at hand. A 12" spike nail seems like just another 12" spike nail until you bend it a bit and drive in some countersink divots. Then, as if by magic, it becomes an decorative wall hook that fits right in to the decor, whether you're in a log cabin in Montana or a loft in New York City.

11. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

Dang if this guy isn't working some big iron!

I love videos of guys keeping the old skills alive. I've watched all of the stuff they have on making that wagon and can't believe a bunch of mules were able to pull the wagon! Thing's got to weigh a ton.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  12. erik

erik Member

DJ - any time you want to play, if I'm at E's, I'm more than happy to spread the addiction.

Here are some of the pieces I hammered on this past weekend at the Beckerhead gathering.
    several others got hammered out by other folks there, but I'll let them post up their own creations.
    [​IMG]

and yes, the hawk really does chop pretty well -- the hand shock is less abusive than I expected.

13. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

Good work, Erik. I keep saying I'm going to make a hawk from a wrench, but I never seem to get around to it.

14. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    One from the old thread.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  15. SEMO

SEMO Member

16. SEMO

SEMO Member

Very nice work.

The Marsh Gorilla and VaughnT like this.
  17. erik

erik Member

the neck gets REAL bendy pretty quick -- I wish I'd of had a point source of heat for bending the tines, it would have saved me a lot of straightening.
    lessons learned type moment. :)

18. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

Made an iron bowl yesterday and it came out pretty dang nice. It's a great size for catching a pocket full of change and your car keys. And the best part is that it rings like a bell when you strike it with a soft hammer. I'm thinking I'll make a gong out of the next one just to say I have a gong.

19. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

I think I posted this on the old forum, but it never gets old and deserves another showing. Habermann is something of a legend in the smithing community, and you can see why as you watch him work. I have no idea what he's saying but there's no doubt he's passionate about the trade. He makes it look so easy!

He used to license someone to make his signature hammer, but I can't seem to find them anymore. No idea what happened there, but I'll find one eventually and add it to my rack of hammers!

20. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

Here's a preliminary photo of the little iron bowl I forged the other day. I wasn't satisfied with the hammer marks so I took her back to the forge for another go. And while I was there, I made her a sister.

The nice thing is that she rings like a gong when tapped on the rim!

IMG_4381.jpg

BobbyRatTail, Zeek, Bushman5 and 2 others like this.