My first backpacking tent! NatureHike Cloud Up

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bushcraft_Dave, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

I usually car camp and bring really heavy gear with me, but this summer I decided to venture deeper into the woods and try to see what lies beyond the road. At 5 lbs this tent isn't considered "ultra light" by any means. Next time I'm going to leave the tent pegs and tent footprint at home to save space.

What I really like about this tent is that it's relatively light, waterproof to a high rating, and lots of ventilation. The rain fly goes all the way down and helps keep the wind out, big plus for me since I get cold easy. Only negative for me is that there's only one door so it's hard not to disturb your tent mate.

For me, it's the perfect size for my me and my girlfriend. I like keeping my gear inside the tent and leave our boots in the vestibule right outside the front door.

If anybody is interested here's the video review:

Datilite, chorpie and R Stowe like this.
  2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Seems like a nice tent. 5 pounds is not bad for a 2 person tent with room. I agree though that 2 doors are worth it on a backpacking tent. Wendy and I have had several different backpacking tents but always go back to our MSR Hubba Hubba. It weighs in around 4 pounds and has two doors. We've been in it during some downpours and it is absolutely waterproof and really quick to set up. I quit packing the stuff bag a long time ago and just pack it in the separate sleeping bag compartment in the bottom of my backpack. That way, when it's wet it's at the bottom of the pack.

Ravenous12 likes this.
  3. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

O
    MSR makes good stuff, I know someone who has a 30 year old stove that's still working! I just looked up the MSR Hubba Hubba and dang, it's really nice. The one I saw on REI only weighs 3 lbs 7 oz! Looks like it has a lot of headroom too. Thanks for commenting Jeff!

4. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

chorpie likes this.
  5. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Thanks. Brother! 2lbs is amazing! I've spent all my time and money on hd survival equipment and now I have to sell some of it and go light

mtngoat likes this.
  6. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I know the feeling, when I bought all my backpacking gear, many moons ago my tent was designed to thru hike the AT, it's even called the thru hiker at 7 lbs packed back then it was light.

Bushcraft_Dave likes this.
  7. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I think the Big Agnes is called the Fly Creek. Had one for a long time. Great tent but it's actually a 1 1/2 person tent so you need to chop the second person in half or quit feeding them 3 months before your trip.

Zeek, chorpie, mtngoat and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

@mtngoat I think people were tougher back in the day, at least tougher than me. I guess I have two choices, either get stronger-become a better hiker or open my wallet and buy lighter gear.

@Jeff Randall LOL!

9. chorpie

chorpie Member

I have the Fly Creek UL1. It's also 2 lb. I cannot sit up in it without hunching over (6', 200lbs for reference). 4-5 lbs isn't bad for a 2 person tent. The one my wife and I used forever weighs about 8. I've since switched to a GoLite SL-3 which weighs about 4 lbs for two people but it's the Fly Creek if solo (or not backpacking with my wife at least).

No room for a pack inside of anything on that Fly Creek though.

[​IMG]

10. chorpie

chorpie Member

Wow, 71x84 is huge! Well worth the weight for room to spread out

11. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

That's a very cool tent @chorpie Thanks for sharing your experience and photo! I'm thinking of getting a Z-Packs backpack. What do you think of those?

12. chorpie

chorpie Member

They look nice, but i've never handled one. I'm far from an ultralight backpacker :) I think I fall into the ultraheavy backpacker category

13. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

lol, I tried that and I almost fell off the mountain!

chorpie likes this.
  14. chorpie

chorpie Member

Learn by doing, is what I say.