Tomahawk use

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by mlrs, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlrs

mlrs Member

I have a hawk that I use to throw on occasion. I have thought about carrying it in the woods instead of a hatchet. Does anyone carry theirs in the woods and what do you use it for?

mlrs

Zeek likes this.
  2. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Honestly I carry my RMJ Shrike sometimes when I'm fishing. Mainly because I fish a lot while riding my Supermoto through the woods and the Shrike does well clearing small trees and the spike is great for moving logs.

Zeek and Wisdom like this.
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I second the RMJ Shrike. Its probably my favorite sharp thing I own. Its also made in the greatest State in the WORLD by some really nice folks.

4. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Have one, Carry one, use one. But mine is made in the greatest State lol.

5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Carried one for a few camping trips and it wore me out using it as an axe. If you use it as a hawk its a great tool eg. small tasks or splitting or chopping. If your trying to cut down and limb trees its under gunned. With all that said i still have a hawk and carry it around the farm sometimes for small tasks.

Zeek likes this.
  6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

Think about why you would want to carry a 'hawk instead of a hatchet or axe. What advantages are you hoping to gain? Personally I use Italian axes for most of my tasks these days and appreciate that the tomahawk-style eye on them allows me to use multiple lengths of handles on the same head, but that they have the geometry of a proper utilitarian axe as opposed to a tomahawk form, which is usually more weapon-focused.

Zeitgeist likes this.
  7. olderguy

olderguy Member

Scalping parties ?

Zeitgeist, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  8. Theodore

Theodore Member

Modern hawks are weapons first. What you want out of a weapon like a hawk is penetration. The ones I have held are too light to do real work and lack cheeks designed to release.(I am speaking in generalizations. There are makers out there trying to do the right thing. I have spoken with one and am quite interested in his work.)
    That goes for all thin flat cheeked axes. They suffer from being too light and over penetration. Just poor design if they are intended for actual work. To claim one should simply meter out the force they use to compensate for the poor design of a flat cheeked thin axes over penetration is foolish. It is the solution of a person working with numbers not someone using a tool. Humans make a bad force meter. And they make a horrible regulator. Axes evolved the way they did for a reason. A person can use the weight of the ax and the axes design will clear chips and allow for an easy release if properly made.

A well designed tool does it's job by making you do less, not more. Life fact #1.

Anybody around here throwing them?;)

Zeitgeist, Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  9. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

When it comes right down to it personal choice. You will not know what does or doesn't work for you till you try it. Even then it won't be the same in every environment.

10. Theodore

Theodore Member

I disagree wholeheartedly. It is not. It comes down to task at hand. The task will determine the best design for the job. Personal choice is not interchangeable with best for job. You may choose to flip eggs with a spoon instead of a spatula but that does not make the spoon the tool best suited for the job.
    (And you may be happy about using a spoon. And I support your loving the spoon and shouting about how great it is. I am simply pointing out the facts about spatulas and spoons. Unfortunately people who love spoon flipping do not like to hear spatula facts because it does not jive with the spoon love. But if I start talking about eating soup with a spatula look out! The spoon lovers will freak out!;)
    And as far as not knowing what will work for you?
    Of course you can! Uncountable people use different tools every day. Thousands of them write about it. It is all at your finger tips. You may not be totally sure, but you can narrow it down quite well in today's world before you ever even pick a tool up.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Zeitgeist and Dagwood like this.
  11. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

Well unlike you I will not debate this issue once again personal choice. See how that works

12. Theodore

Theodore Member

The second half of that sentence is contrary to the declaration in the first half;)

Have a great 4th @Wildbill247365

Wrong_tool.jpg

13. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

One would be better served discussing politics on this forum than to mention a tomahawk, axe, or sharp rock attached to a stick.

14. FortyTwoBlades

Your screen name is appropriate. :D :D :D

Zeek and nathan shepherd like this.
  15. Theodore

Theodore Member

As I did elsewhere just switch out the word axe from something else in the comments above. Is a hammer just a hammer? Is it all just personal preference as some would have you believe? Is one tool no better than the other? Perhaps if we switch it up people will see through the bs cloud. Go build cabinets with a waffle faced framing hammer. Go frame a house with a light finish hammer. Suddenly it's not all personal preference is it? Suddenly one tool is superior for the task at hand.
    I personally do not care what hammer anyone uses. I do care however when people say all hammers are the same. That one is not better, just different. And it's all just personal preference. No, it's not. Try those comments with ANY other tool around people who use them all day. It will not fly.

So when a weekend warrior or a salesman try to claim the metal handle light weight finish hammer will be great, or did a great job as a framing hammer , those that know better speak up.

(Edit) let me tailor it for you. What is said about axes often here and other places is the equivalent to this........

"All pistol calibers are fine for self defense. It is all just personal choice. No one is better than the other, just different"
    It's just that far more people use pistols and know the difference. The ax use world (those that understand the differences) is far smaller. So comments slide by more often.

16. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

See what works for you buddy ignore all the know it all B S no one's outdoor kits are the same and there is no wrong or right choice if it works for you then that is great. I personally think you are smart enough not to think a hawk is the tool you need to cut a tree down or split logs. It is what it is a small light weight cutting tool with a part you can use to pound with. All I was saying.

nathan shepherd likes this.
  17. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

So are you the worlds leading authority on axes or something?

koolaidnd likes this.
  18. Theodore

Theodore Member

Scotland is very flat.
    Before you respond, are you the world's leading authority on Scotland?

19. mlrs

mlrs Member

Gentlemen,

I started this thread asking what people use their hawk for. I did not start it for people to get into a pi$$ing contest. If you can't keep it to that then please don't reply to the thread.

mlrs

20. FortyTwoBlades

Really the biggest advantage that you gain with 'hawks most of the time is the removable handle, or the fact that it's a light head on a long handle. There are axes out there that give you those same advantages, but with better overall proportions/form for serious woods work rather than weapon applications.

Zeitgeist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.