Field survival intensive

Discussion in 'Randall's Adventure & Training®' started by Strigidae, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Man, no one's gonna want to go to the Expat Experience after all this type of training.

All we're going to do is lounge around a Costa Rican beach, build fires, cook food, and explore the jungle every once in a while. We plan on having ice and surf board instruction available.

mtngoat likes this.
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I'm so gonna be there.

3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm. No suffering. Hmmmm. Is there a patch?

Zeek likes this.
  4. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Instead of reading...The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday
    thta patch should read...There Will Be Another Easy Day Tomorrow.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  5. Strigidae

Alright guys now that im back to full steam let me share some thoughts. The roughest part of this trip as i see it is the come down from sugar. I tapered off caffeine and have had no issues with that but i think the sugar letdown caused a headache and fuzziness come day two. It was rough. The lack of food wasn't too horrible at all. Periodic stomach grumbles was the worst of it. Did have a few bouts of dizziness but that could have been hydration or sugar withdrawal. I will say that we, as in my wife, boiled a ton of water. It was a full time job to keep the camp hydrated. Keep that in mind. The shelter leaked like a sieve in a downpour but it was better than being out in it. Id say a full on reduction in drops by greater than 80% as i went out for wood and was immediately soaked though my softshell. Learning to sleep with drops all around you is a chore. My best advice is cover all your sensitive areas (face hands feet etc) as that will annoy you more than anything else. I had an ear full of water and when it warmed up it was like having ear muffs on so the noise was minimal. It is possible to sleep in a puddle with the rain on you i promise. It aint a best night of your like sleep but its something. The cold on the first night was something Ive dealt with before. Usually requires high amounts of wood, insulation or reflectors. We had wood. Roar the fire and turn to and from the fire as you down side will get cold. One person really needs to be in charge of the fire as it can get cold in an instant. Its a night long job that your team will help with. The team we had was top notch and we all knew what we needed to do and how to do it. Keep that in mind with the folks you run with as you may be stuck with them and their liabilities. Dont alienate all your friends but just keep in in mind if youre the planning type. One last thing on gear. All of our knives were different but they all performed well. Use what you like and know. Clothing: i used a lot of synthetics and wool blends. Shoes were goretex and filled up with water numerous times but the wool blend socks were my savior or that goruck training (running with wet shoes and socks) is paying off. I will say my backside was wet for an entire day after the rainstorm. Just have to deal with it or expose your dirty bits to your team. The shemagh aside from looking operator was nice to keep the mosquitoes off your neck and face at night. I will say i just ignored the bugs unless i had downtime to fool with it. Defecating in the woods really wasnt an issue for me. My gut didnt start back up until friday evening. So no help with what natural tp is best.

I will say this in closing i enjoyed my time with the team. The instructors James Gibson and Patrick Rollins were amazing and they suffered right along with us which is awesome. They lead from the front!! If you can get into a class with these guys you better do it. We are very lucky to have them so available to us.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Delkancott, SEMO, R Stowe and 3 others like this.
  6. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Great write-up. James and @Patrick Rollins are certainly not one trick ponies. Good folks with strong ethics.

7. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Sugar is my downfall also. It's amazing how addictive it is.

mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  8. Zeek

Zeek Member

mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  9. Strigidae

James and Patrick are absolutely fantastic instructors.

mtngoat and Zeek like this.
  10. Strigidae

IMG_6445.JPG

My trophy.

mtngoat and Zeek like this.
  11. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    image.jpeg I copied JG's bow drill kit :D

mtngoat, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  12. Strigidae

Cedar makes you look good everytime. Love that tree.

SEMO, DYSPHORIC JOY and Zeek like this.
  13. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

And smell good.

Strigidae likes this.