EDC & KNIFE STORAGE, ONE SOLUTION

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by GaryMc, Sep 14, 2016.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

"WHERE DO I KEEP MY EDC GOODIES? WHAT DO I DISPLAY THEM IN? WHAT DO I STORE THEM IN?"

That's the title for this post. It's a common question asked of me fairly often including three specific individuals who wanted to know just today on an EDC forum I post often on. So here you go. This is probably going to let a lot of people down who see this & think maybe I have a great display or an elaborate solution to where do you keep your EDC. Lots of pics going to be posted so be patient with the page loading.

When it boils down to things, I'm pretty simple, nothing elaborate, there are no displays of EDC, well except for my good Bibles. I'm severely OCD, so it had to be something where I could group specific items for organization. It had to be transportable, somewhere to keep it when I'm home, but then easily transportable to the safe in my basement when I'm away. I use to be a big time fisherman from when I was a child into my late 20's, moved to the big city of Atlanta and just got away from it, however I kept updating my fishing gear through the years using BPS, Plano, and Browning plastic organizers as I did fish occasionally with my Dad when he was alive. So what do I use to organize my EDC, well those same lure box organizers I have hundreds of fishing lures, worms, spinnerbaits, and tackle in. Nothing elaborate about them except they just work, kind of like ESEE knives, ZT's, my Costa sunglasses, and my Sig Sauer firearms, everything is simple & just works like it should.

First off my office is a mess, it was originally a deck, then a sunroom, then became my home office as a pretty much full-time telecommuter in 1998. I share it with 2 cats, did have 3, it's their home, they roam the house except our bedrooms in the day but go here at night. Their litter boxes, food, water, all of it is in my office so I have to dust often. It hasn't been painted in years since it's their home too and I change out objects on the walls often so there are nail/screw holes everywhere that need to be painted and patched. It has a linoleum floor I hate, but again is cat friendly for the girls. After retiring it'll get a complete makeover with hardwoods or something nicer, I'll live with it until then. It's a great place to work, 2 walls of Windows looking at nothing but woods, often deer, rabbits, birds, squirrels, occasionally a coyote for which then the deer rifle comes out quickly, I hate coyotes. Two painted walls.

The first pic is where my EDC gear is kept most of the time when not in the safe.

[​IMG]

So, where's the EDC? Well it's hidden & dust free in the larger left center bottom compartment. On the right are all my old Apple products and all their boxes.

[​IMG]

Those plastic cases house my EDC, Luminox and watch tools, 3 Luminox and a Citizens Blue Angels along with the Rolex and a few other watches are on or in my nightstand right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZIPPOS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SAKS, ALOX, & SMALL LIGHTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZT'S & HINDERERS, A COUPLE ON THE COFFEE TABLE RIGHT NOW

[​IMG]

SOUTHERN GRIND BAD MONKEYS, DPX HEST F/2.0, AND A LONELY BENCHMADE

[​IMG]

CASE & A FEW OTHER KNIFE BRANDS, MOSTLY CASE XX

[​IMG]

WALLETS

[​IMG]

KEY FOBS, A COUPLE BEING USED TODAY & TOMORROW MISSING

[​IMG]

OK, so not shown are handkerchiefs that stay in my dresser, 8 iPhone 6 Plus cases, and my pen collection both kept in my middle desk drawer. My fixed blades and guns are in the safe. Various other knives, lighters, etc are in EDC or survival bags kept in cars and the basement including a lot in a full blown bug-out kit. I find this to be a great solution because I want this stuff in a safe when I'm away. Again nothing elaborate but like ESEE knives it just works. So if you want a great cost effective transportable solution take a trip your local Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's. As always thanks for taking the time to read yet another of my reviews. Thanks, Gary

Rainy, JMJ, dhunley1 and 3 others like this.
  2. JAD

JAD Member

Good post Gary. Give me some details on your watch kit/tools in the blue box.

GaryMc likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@JAD Gotta get back to work right now but I'll be back tonight and post details of those, maybe a separate review. Thanks for taking the time to read this brother!!!!!!

4. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Very nice Gary! You remind me of Antithetik, who also stores all his EDC stuff organized like that. I can't keep all my stuff in one place. I like to scatter them around so they are more accessible!

JMJ and GaryMc like this.
  5. JAD

JAD Member

Talk about scattered around, I'm beating myself up real bad right now. I have misplaced a parts box with spare magazines (8-10 various calibers from g19, g26, LC9 etc), wooden grips for my S&W snubbies, and some replacement springs. I CANNOT FIND THE F**KING THING. My search is going into week #2 with no clues. My wife insists no workers have been in the house and my kids have all been cleared. So I am having a bad senior moment over this one. I know it is a result of some reorganizing in my shop, but I am pissed off at myself right now.

JMJ and GaryMc like this.
  6. sneakypete

sneakypete Member

Great organization! Those plastic cases work perfect. I must say your collection of zippo lighters is amazing! Gotta show some love for the sak's too.

Thanks for sharing

GaryMc likes this.
  7. Joelski

Joelski Member

Tell me about that Marshall speaker. Is it a mini amp? I've been looking for a replacement for my JamVox ever since it died and couldn't be resurrected by my toaster repairman buddy. Of all my amps, I've logged the most hours on the JamVox since I bought it back around 2009, it was just so handy to sit and plug into the lappy and tweak tones. Don't get me wrong; it will never replace my Mesa/Boogie tube farms, but it was just easy to plug in and go.

GaryMc likes this.
  8. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Those plastic cases are nice. I have several, for the electronic accessories, etc, I've purchased over the years. I would write on the bottom of the section what went there, so I wouldn't forget, if I had more than one thing out at a time.

GaryMc likes this.
  9. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Joelski Marshall Stanmore. It's pretty perfect except not portable requires AC. Really heavy internal amp. Connects wirelessly via Bluetooth, or wired via RCA stereo cables, optical fiber stereo PCM cable, or mini jack. Really diverse ways to connect. I love it, it can really jam with that old amp vibe to it. I use it with my iPhone, iPad, laptop, hooked up to that LCD TV in that pic through optical fiber cable to an Apple TV unit. I even hook my turntable up to it at times to listen to LPs. Comes in black, cream, or brown vinyl that feels like real leather. Really quality feel to it just like an old Marshall guitar amp plus it just looks old school cool. Old school dials for volume, bass, & treble on top, no remote. Not cheap at $349 but the diversity it gives makes it worth it to me. Specs below from Crutchfield:

• Bluetooth with aptX audio coding for high-fidelity streaming from compatible devices
    • analog volume, bass and treble control knobs
    • two 3/4" dome tweeters, one 5-1/4" woofer, each with a Class D amplifier
    • total system power 80W (20W x 2 plus 40W for woofer)
    • optical digital audio input
      • accepts stereo PCM digital audio only; not compatible with Dolby® Digital
    • RCA stereo input
    • stereo minijack input with included coiled minijack cable
    • AC power required (power cable included)
    • 14-1/8"W x 7-1/4"H x 7-1/4"D
    • weight: 11.1 lbs.
    • warranty: 1 year
    I absolutely love mine and consider good money spent. You can find it at a number of retailers.

Marty W likes this.
  10. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Thanks @91bravo Antithetik is starting to become a friend of mine. I follow him and he follows me elsewhere. We post to each other occasionally.

11. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@sneakypete Thank you Sir, and thanks for taking the time to read it. I do love ZIPPO's and SAKs.

12. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@The Warrior It's funny I swap EDC almost every day so they all get pulled out and within 5 minutes I've got tomorrow's EDC picked out and ready and those containers put back and swapped with the current day's. Usually do it before bed every night. More of my OCD I'm sure. Thanks for taking the time to read it brother!!!!!!!

13. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I wonder if antithetik would come over here?

GaryMc likes this.
  14. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@91bravo I don't know he's pretty tied to and revered as a favorite on the Planet now. I keep pushing ESEE and the ESEE forum over there, we'll see in time if I can get some of the really good guys over there to come here or do both like I'm doing. I know a few of us here go to multiple forums I'm on. Maybe if we all spout the ESEE message over time, the interest will grow here. I've posted ESEE and Expat Knives stuff now, time will tell. All I can say is I'm trying brother!!!!!!

15. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Yeah, MTM and I represent ESEE knives over there and got some enabling points for some members purchasing! Yeah, antithetik is a nice fellow!

16. Marty W

Marty W Member

I've looked at that speaker. I always wanted one, but the Fugoo was waterproof and more portable. I still want the Stanmore though. They are just freaking cool! And sound incredible as well.

GaryMc likes this.
  17. Marty W

Marty W Member

Try Fugoo! Stanmore is awesome if you don't need portability. If you want to take it with you, the Fugoos are great. I have the normal and the XL.

GaryMc likes this.
  18. Marty W

Marty W Member

Great write up and I LOVE your collections. You and I share a lot of the same tastes. I may try the boxes.

GaryMc likes this.
  19. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Marty W Love the Fuggos myself was about to buy one but my son gave me another brand for portability so I never got it.

20. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Marty W Thank you Sir!!!!!! Definitely knew we had the same taste in knives, good we share other areas as well. The boxes just work for me, easy simple solution.