Some questions about .380 ACP, especially Ruger's LCP II

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Stone, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Kevin

Kevin Member

The West coast of Newfoundland (The best coast)
    It always surprises me that a revolver is still considered a serious self defense weapon, especially for someone who just wants it for self defense. As for the "added complexity" of a pistol I can only say that regardless of your choice your going to have to be trained otherwise your just going to shoot your self, someone else or it's going to be taken from you. Five or six rounds in a revolver is not enough for someone with little training, you just have to watch cop videos of them spraying rounds up down and around range when the shtf. The last reason to own a revolver for defense went away in 1911 or even 1908 unless your remaking a western movie. (I'll sit back and wait for the flames)
    My choice for a handgun for your lady friend would be the P238 or a Glock 42 if you/she really want to stick to .380... As for a reason for the handguns I suggest? When you pull the trigger they go bang. Never forget that the best option for self defense is to run away.

Sincerely,
    Kevin

2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Scandanium Stone, I think Colt was the brand, it was the replacement for the "air weight" design. I picked one up to look at years and years ago and it felt almost unreal...like a cap gun. I didn't like it for that reason. This was wayyy back when Buck had a 110/112 folder with a ti handle. I just couldn't get past the ultra lite feel. But it's something to think about when considering the size, age, and experience of the shooter.

3. JAD

JAD Member

@Stone -- Sigs are expensive and your 2x is pretty damn close. I bought mine USED and paid $700 with Trijicon night sights (very worth it to me). The S&W's were both bought new just under $400. The LCP II is under $300? Does that sound right? That's money that may be better spent on practice ammo, or maybe not.

I will take some side by side pics for size comparisons when I get home this afternoon. I may also try to swing by my son's house and borrow his LCP II for a photo op.

@Kevin -- no flames to you. I understand your "likes" on the semi auto's. But why the dislike of the revolvers? I frequently slip one of the Smith & Wessons in a jacket pocket on the weekends when I'm buying gas, picking up a paper, running to the bakery, etc. I never feel "defensively deficient".

Zeek likes this.
  4. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Another thing to consider with the LCP is the difficulty of racking the slide. My wife is a small woman, and she struggles with it.

It fills a niche for me, but it's the last gun I want to shoot at the range.

Zeek likes this.
  5. JAD

JAD Member

Just spoke with my son. He also owns the Sig P238 but he bought the LCP II for its even smaller/lighter size. He said the edges on the Ruger are melted so of course it slips easily in/out of the pocket. He is using some kind of abbreviated kydex sheath that guards the trigger. He's going to send some pictures. His other comment was that the Ruger is still very snappy but the big difference is the trigger has been vastly improved.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Member

[QUOTE="@Kevin -- no flames to you. I understand your "likes" on the semi auto's. But why the dislike of the revolvers? I frequently slip one of the Smith & Wessons in a jacket pocket on the weekends when I'm buying gas, picking up a paper, running to the bakery, etc. I never feel "defensively deficient".[/QUOTE]

Jad, I would always suggest carry what you like but for me having an extra clip or two plus 7 rnds or more in the clip and pipe plus very easy trigger pull for all or after the first round depending on cock state/double then single action I really don't see the point of a revolver , that heavy trigger pull for every round (Your not going to pull back the hammer in a shtf situation for each shot) would concern me. Also the width of a revolver for concealed carry is a factor.

If a person can't effortless work the action of the slide then all this is moot of course, you have to be able to do this without thinking and immediately if there is a misfire/jam etc. So then I would of course suggest a nice Colt Army (just kidding).

Regards,
    Kevin

JAD likes this.
  7. Theo

Theo Member

We all have our likes and dislikes and can speculate all day. Find a range that rents guns and let this lady try out anything she is interested in. If there is no rental range at least have her handle anything she is interested in, see if she can work the slide.

OKcherokee, Zeek, Kevin and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Member

Most places that teach also have a wide selection of handguns to try etc. The place here in Canada that teaches lets you shoot about a dozen different handguns of many types/calibers as part of the basic handgun course.

9. Kevin

Kevin Member

That's for sure, if there was only one good, say knife for example, imagine how boring this site would be...

Theodore likes this.
  10. Theodore

Theodore Member

You let off one round from a colt dragoon in a small room and anyone and everyone will flee, into each other because you won't be able to see crap.

Kevin, Zeek and anrkst6973 like this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

That was funny right there!! Thanks for making me spew tea all over the place! :D

Kevin, Zeek and Theodore like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin Member

Or you could use the weapon that I'm sitting with in my sig photo. It's a 40mm automatic grenade launcher with laser ranging, ballistics computer for direct and indirect fire, amazing IR and zoom optics plus programmable fusing for he/ap/air burst rounds plus other options. It was a fun to shoot, fired about 2,000 rounds through over 8 full days of testing.

Theodore likes this.
  13. Kevin

Kevin Member

IMG_2075.JPG

Theodore likes this.
  14. Theodore

Theodore Member

First off, outstanding. Secondly.......
    I do not picture you rolling out of bed in the dark for a little return fire with that baby in tow....

15. Kevin

Kevin Member

No, it's more of a standoff weapon I'll give you that but the noise and ejected casings will cause some confusion in the near ground area.

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  16. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

So much to say if not working off my phone.

Semi pistols are often intimidating to newbies due to moving parts etc. I'm a hardcore gun guy by my wife still gets intimidated if she has to work a semi herself. There's also the issue of if she can work slide. If not intimidated and cam work slide then go for it.

P238 shoots great but a SA is a terrible idea for a newbie. G42 is a cap gun and shoots great. Both of those aren't generally ammo sensitive so that is good. My LCP custom is great as a super deep carry but LCPII are fantastic too. I've handled one and will but one eventually.

A model 60 or similar would be great revolver but are pricey. Maybe could find a Taurus equivalent for cheap. .38 is just fine. Don't let the haters hold you back. Revolvers are usually harder to shoot due to heavy triggers and smaller sights.

Zeek, Theodore and Kevin like this.
  17. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Forgot in the last post - if the lady isn't comfortable with a decent size caliber I wouldn't hesitate to suggest a .22 of some variety. Like others say a bunch of easily delivered rounds will stop a target. It's not ideal but neither is shooting someone.

Kevin, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  18. JAD

JAD Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stock versus Pachmayr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anrkst6973 and Zeek like this.
  19. Theodore

Theodore Member

Circle gets the square on this one. Best line of the day.

VolGrad, anrkst6973 and Zeek like this.
  20. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Oh and I used to have a P238 and wish I still had that one. It was sweeeeet and I had some awesome custom leather for it.

OKcherokee, Delkancott and JAD like this.