Parangs!!

Discussion in 'Red Eyed Hog Survival Seasoning' started by RedEyedHog, Feb 17, 2017.

1. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Never have used one but I'm really liking the looks of the Condor Village Parang. I had a Cold Steel Warlord when I was in my teens. (Anybody remember those?) It was badass until I broke it killings a snake. Looks kinda similar. I've been looking fora new toy and I just keep coming back to the parang.
    Anybody got one? Or have any opinions on parangs in general?

C99c and Zeek like this.
  2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

The Village Parang is more of a hatchet replacement kind of tool and is built heavier than traditional parangs. The Duku Parang and Mini Duku Parang are closer to a traditional build. While it has a poly handle, the Bushcraft Parang is a great all-'rounder that I tend to recommend to most folks looking to pick one up for hard use.

3. RedEyedHog

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  4. Marty W

Marty W Member

I have the Condor bushcraft parang and I love it. I have another Condor parang too. They are both incredible quality for their price.

RedEyedHog and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  5. RedEyedHog

If I'm understanding this right the bushcraft parang is lighter? I think it may be more along what I'm looking for. Something light like a machete.

6. FortyTwoBlades

In terms of weight/length ratio, from heaviest proportional build to lightest it's: Village Parang, Standard Parang, Bushcraft Parang, Mini Duku Parang, Duku Parang, Eco Parang.

RedEyedHog likes this.
  7. RedEyedHog

Heavy enough to baton with?

8. FortyTwoBlades

All of them will stand up to batoning. But the thicker it is the better it'll split, of course.

C99c and RedEyedHog like this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

C99c, jlowrance and Theodore like this.
  10. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

This is an actual serious question. What makes a parang a parang? It seems that many of them have a curved blade, but I see some that don't. It is basically a shorter machete with a squared off (more or less) tip? Something handy in the jungle bush but also for watermelon in the back yard?

If you are interested in this style of blade, you may just be interested in an upcoming offering from Expat® Knives...

JKPirate08, C99c and Zeek like this.
  11. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

A Parang Sticker!?!?
    That is genius!

C99c and Zeek like this.
  12. Scrap

Scrap Member

He'll probably screw that one up as well.
    The sticker will have ''Darang'' on it.

13. Mountainmistwanderer

poundsignDarang

C99c, Scrap and Zeek like this.
  14. Zeek

Zeek Member

C99c and Scrap like this.
  15. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

poundsignexdatdarang

16. RedEyedHog

Excellent question. I'm curious about that too.

17. Slade

Slade Member

I have the Parang Machete, Village Parang, Duku, Warlock, Pack Golock Knife, Engineer Bolo, and Mini Duku. I have others too, but these all have some kind of similarity to the Parangs imo. I am a fan of what you get for the price in Condor and they were and are still some of my heaviest users.

Condor's sharpening is hit or miss. I've had some great ground sharp knives from them, and I've also had some of the worst edges I've ever received that WERE NOT apexed at all. My Solobolo Knife was not able to cut anything on arrival. They obviously have at least a someone in the sharpening department that knows what's up, but not everyone. This doesn't matter much to me, but even the solobolo being 1075 took a considerable amount of time to correct. Love the quality leather you get with a condor for such a cheap price point. I think Condor has great handle ergos, and that goes a long way into making these heavier knives still manageable. Do not expect that the 1075 will hold an edge forever.

The parang machete is great for light clearance stuff. It is kind of thick, and heavy for something so long, but I love the shape of the blade and handle.

The village parang is kind of heavy as Ben mentioned. I love the hammer finish they put on this one and the pack golok knife. The pack Golock knife is easier to wield. Think of the Village Parang as a Butcher knife on lethal doses of steroids.

The engineer bolo is a great design for severing small to large saplings in one swing. It is a lot of steel, but the shape helps make it worth it. 2" thick limbs are not a problem in one swing. The weight and shape of this thing make it kind of dangerous I think because it almost works too well.

The Pack Golok Knife has the same finish as the Village Parang and is a good large knife that offers interesting uses with that huge belly with no tip.

The Dukus and the Warlock are so far unused by me. As is a thai enep machete. The dukus in particular are much lighter weight, and the thai enep even more so. These are all my more recent Condor's and I've been buying knives that interest me faster than I can get out and use them since I injured my back about 18 months ago.

I know shipping would be pretty silly on most of these things these days, but I'd be willing to ship you one with a fresh convex to play with if you'd like to check one out first hand.

RedEyedHog and Zeek like this.
  18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

The thinner Condor versions are well liked, almost got one a while back. Decided on the Varustelka Skrama instead tho, same blade shape but shorter and more "knife like". In use it has the feel of the larger Asian style kitchen knives, it will do a number on the ingredients of a stir fry! ( Had to borrow a extra lg wok but it was worth it!)

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  19. Mountainmistwanderer

One of the great advantages of going thru http://www.baryonyxknife.com/ is that he can put on a killer edge for you as a option with lots of blades he sells. Yeah people might say that they can do it themselves but it sure is sweet to get a light sabre right out of the box.

20. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

That's no BS either. 42 sends em ready to work!!