P. Rollins and the JG3

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Jeff Randall, Feb 13, 2017.

1. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I am unsure of some of the recommended foot conditioning techniques mentioned...perhaps an attached video would assist?

It is slower traveling barefoot, even when jogging on city streets as one tends to be slightly more cautious. The exception for me is when climbing a grade at altitude. The need to take deep breaths and go slower negates any discomforting as well as the fact as the weight is on the heels, the toughest part. Descending is defiantly slower as the weight is on the balls of the foot that contains more nerves.

My wife and I hike, often in man made trails. These are particularly difficult in the spring after laying off a while. usually they consist of sharp gravel embedded in clay or some other media or perhaps cedar chips. Anyone can do this for a while but after a few miles it is hard to keep up. Usually on more primitive trails the terrain varies enough that it does not matter.

Part of the conditioning is getting your mind used to the signals it receives from the nerves. You are not going to die from stepping on sharp rocks(or legos). Usually the pain subsides within a few steps. I have hiked in most of the western states including Hawaii. One of the most important aspect is having a plethora of smart ass remarks to us when interacting with fellow hikers.

In short walking on gravel is a good way to toughen your feet. It also encourages more blood flow in case one has other maladies, which I do.
    I also do some kettle bell exercises on one foot to increase stability. As one ages, falling has more consequences.

I have been mostly barefoot for 8 years and it has solved a few maladies. I can jog without my knee locking up. I have less back pain. Due to some malformed bones the podiatrist recommended surgery. I rarely have pain from that now. Every year my nails would turn black from long pheasant drives and eventually get toenail fungus. Fungus cannot live on bare feet.

This diatribe should teach you fellows not to ask questions about this or shotguns.

As for confessing to crimes of which you are innocent, my dentist firmly believes that I killed Lincoln, Kennedy as well as taking the Lindbergh baby.

Theodore, Stone, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Hobbit jokes? Cody lundin jokes?

3. Stone

Stone Member

I nominate KMC for hardest core forum member.

In my early 20's, I met a dude on the AT (Smoky Mt stretch) who was through-hiking barefoot carrying a very heavy pack, and he was a small guy. I was in awe of that.

I'm not a barefoot person at all. Not even at home beyond bed and taking a shower. I almost always wear footwear -- sandals (almost all summer), crocs (in house) or boots, but own not a single pair of "shoes". I'm the opposite of KMC foot bone wise: I have abnormally high arches, so walking barefoot has never been comfortable for me, even as a kid. I have to choose my footwear with careful attention to arch support.

As a result, I can't even comfortably wear moccasins. I want to try a pair of genuine Arctic mukluks someday, but it'd take some special arches.
    ___

Wait ... weren't we talking about Patrick and the JG3? Oh, right, right -- this is ESEE forum ...

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

....both in winter... more in the south most certainly (permanent glaciers there and snow up high even during summer).

Stone likes this.
  5. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

This conversation intrigues me.

Strigidae likes this.
  6. Theodore

Theodore Member

@KMCMICHAEL
    I can absolutely respect the choice and understand the reasoning behind it. When stalking I go for the thinnest footwear possible to "see" with my feet. Thinner is faster in that way. But when banging around logs I like a good solid boot. I go barefoot to the mailbox once and a while, or to talk to someone in the driveway, but I am not going to "convert" anytime soon.

KMCMICHAEL likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I can't walk barefoot across my yard without sustaining a life threatening injury !! LOL Bindies and Catseyes have me in two steps... !!

Zeek and Theodore like this.
  8. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Hardcore??...those days are long behind me!

I have high arches and they have gotten higher since losing the shoes.

I have always been considered eccentric by friends and coworkers. We make our choices.

Stone, Delkancott and Theodore like this.