Modification question

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Hack73, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Hack73

Hack73 Member

I know it would probably void warranty but I'm wondering if I properly removed the finger guard on my LS without damaging the heat treat. Would it still hold up well or would I be removing too much meat in that area?
    Picture for reference.

esee-ls-p-esee-laser-strike-knife-_-_copy.jpg

2. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

It is my understanding that if you put it in a vice and snap it off using a cheater pipe, while shooting a video that you then post to your YouTube channel, they will replace it. You might be called names, but you will get a new ESEE LS.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Theodore likes this.
  3. Theodore

Theodore Member

I think you are aware that the only way to be covered under warranty while removing a gaurd on an esee product it to film yourself removing it with the jaws of life.

4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

It won't void your warranty but I wouldn't do that to it.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  5. Hack73

Hack73 Member

I'm aware of the excellent warranty but assumed that it would be voided if you removed steel from it.

6. Hack73

Hack73 Member

Why not?

7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Check the laser strike thread. Someones done it. Message them.

Kaw-liga and Hack73 like this.
  8. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Creaky bones.

Hack73 likes this.
  9. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I feel like it would jeopardize the structural integrity of the knife. You may get a surprise if you go to baton with it. It's not a huge choil. Why do you want the guard gone?

Hack73 likes this.
  10. Hack73

Hack73 Member

Don't know how to explain it but I always seem to be trying to figure out if I want my index finger in front of or behind the guard. I think it would be more comfortable without it. I saw that a couple people online had done it and it went from a knife they didn't like to one they loved. I do not want to make it weak though.

11. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

It may work, it may not. I'm not an engineer but it just seems it may make it weak. Do what you like and hope for the best brother.

Hack73 likes this.
  12. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

First off what makes you think the warranty would ever be needed. What are you "capable" of doing to the knife in order for it to break. Not saying that you are weak but are you confident in your skills that after the mod breaking won't be a issue. Are you intelligent enough to realize you are approaching a breaking point and to back off. Clean straight hits during batoning shouldn't be a problem. What else is there to cause a break that you will be doing to it.

13. Hack73

Hack73 Member

Never said I thought it would be needed. Just assumed it would be voided if I removed steel from it. I know I wouldn't want to replace a knife after someone went about the modification the wrong way and destroyed the heat treat.

Not sure exactly what I'm capable of yet due to lack of experience. I am a big strong guy. I'm not confident in my skills yet. I guess my biggest concern would be breaking it in an emergency situation. Not so much while using it around the house or in the woods because I would have a back up.

Not sure intelligence would help me but I am not very book smart.:D I have worked with my hands my whole life and think that I would recognize the breaking point before it happened but more concerned with emergency situation where I may need to use it for something it was not designed for in the 1st place. After losing fine motor skills in a emergency situation I figure I would be less likely to identify the breaking point not to mention that would probably be the last thing on my mind at that moment.

Thanks for the tip.

AddictedToSteel likes this.
  14. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

In an emergency I would not be concerned about no stinking warranty. :D

The ESEE warranty is legendary and while there are limits - handles aren't covered, rust is not covered and stainless steel blades are not covered - you can shoot it with a .50 cal and it will be covered. While most people here on the forum would be too embarrassed to ask for a warranty replacement if they broke their knives doing stupid stuff, that stupid stuff would still be covered.

Mod your LS with confidence. You say you are not that book smart, but work with your hands. Sounds like a natural fit for an ESEE blade. You probably have a better understanding of this sort of thing than the average 25 college pinhead professors. :)

JAD and Hack73 like this.
  15. CWB

CWB Member

It's recommend by Esee to modify to you needs.

Hack73 likes this.
  16. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

That is a very good quality to have. I don't think you would have a problem if you did the mod especially being a man that uses his hands a lot. Go ahead and turn it into that dream machine you envision.

Hack73 likes this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

personally, I would keep your knife the way it is.....BUT buy a used one, same model, to do the mods on....then you can test it without worrying about your other one.

Kaw-liga and Hack73 like this.
  18. Hack73

Hack73 Member

I was thinking about doing exactly that.

Strigidae likes this.
  19. Hack73

Hack73 Member

You are correct.The warranty actually has no part in my decision. I just said "I know it would probably void warranty" so everyone wouldn't have to reply saying don't do it because it will void the warranty! Sounds like it would be covered though.:)

20. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

It won't affect warranty. But I will definitely call you a dumbass for doing it. Knives break/fail. It happens to the best knives. And we replace them. But when guys decide they can out think the design and remake it with different mods then later decide they screwed up then "put it in a vise and break it with a cheater bar" to get a new knife that is simply abusing a great warranty . Yes we will replace it. But I would rather these guys go buy their knives from another company. They don't deserve an ESEE knife.
    Mike