Price willing to pay for a folder?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Scott Whittington, Jan 6, 2017.

?

What price range is your cut off on buying a folder?

1. Screw Folders!

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. 1-100

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. 101-250

51 vote(s)
    49.0%
  4. 251-400

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  5. 401-551

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 550-1000

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Sky is the limit if I like it and quality is there!

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. daizee

daizee Member

I'd top out at $150 at this point, for a factory folder. I haven't broken $125, but am leaving a little room. ;)

Addicted2Tone likes this.
  2. mil spec

mil spec Member

I voted $101 - $250. Generally I spend between $150 and $200 on a folder. There was a time when I wanted and bought knives that cost me up to $800. I look at things much different over that past couple years and prefer a much more simple life. Use what you got and enjoy it.

Today I ask myself just how much better can a folder get after $200.00.

3. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Voted 250-400 since that's where most of my folders are/have been. I've only owned one folder outside of this price range and it was only in my possession for about a month. I turned it into a Firearm.

4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Honestly, not much. After $200 you're done paying for durability and you start paying for materials, exclusivity, and warranty. With that said, you can still get a **** knife at $200+. Try picking up 10 Emersons. I guarantee 8 of them will have something for you to complain about.

mil spec likes this.
  5. Benson X

Benson X Member

The most I've paid for a knife is $225, but I've come close to spending more...many times. I think $300 is my limit.

6. Addicted2Tone

Addicted2Tone Member

I've paid $150 max for folding knives that were up to $250 retail, I never pay retail for anything.
    I always hunt for deals and coupons on things. I just bought a new Benchmade Adamas for $140 out the door at a gun shop Christmas sale and a brand new ZT0620 for $124 from Knives Ship Free because I found a coupon code that worked with the already closeout price. Gotta shop around, I am never knife or gun shop loyal, I go where the best deal is..

Bruno_GO and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  7. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

Thanks for all of the feedback on this! About what I expected only I figured more would vote for screw folders. I am thinking those votes went to Jeff and Mike:D

I hope everyone will keep throwing in replies. Maybe when I do the same poll for fixed blades I will put it in scoots so all the spy types will jump in!

Addicted2Tone likes this.
  8. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Folders or lanyards are the "in" thing around my area at present. I trade knives all of the time and you can't give a fixed blade away right now. Add a skull bead to a piece of cord attached to a knife and everyone wants it.

I typically don't spend too much on folders but will pay more if I really like something.

Bcamos and Addicted2Tone like this.
  9. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    $150 for a folder is my max. In my area, somewhat financially suppressed, $150 for any knife is insane. Were it not for the internet, I wouldn't even know you could buy anything other than a wally world chinese folder, a pakistani wonder, or a yellow handled Case XX.

Addicted2Tone and mil spec like this.
  10. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Member

My vote was $500-$1000, but in voting this I've only purchased two knives over $500 in my life. One being my UG LG 21 Sebenza and the other being my custom Oeser, both of which are 150% worth it. I've probably bought 50+ knives in the $50-$150 range and I can count the number of knives I've bought above $150 on both hands.

11. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

better put that on the usual suspects if you want the Emerson folks on board

12. thepierced

thepierced Member

I've got way too many existing obligations and responsibilities to throw more than $50 at a folding knife when I already have two RAT Model 1s. Single income, five mouths to feed..... I have to say "NO" more often than I would like. There was one time when I bought a ZT 0560 for $140. But the Model 1 did everything the ZT did, at 1/5th the cost. I would love for someone to prove me wrong on expensive folders. Am I really missing something? I'll send you my address and you send me your "proof" that a $500 knife is 15x better than what I already own.

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  13. santacruz

santacruz Member

Pre ACA I would've said $251-400. But since we're post ACA I voted $101-250. And who knows, that might not even happen. To get my most recent folder I had to sell other(s). Anybody wanna buy a knife?! :eek:

Strigidae likes this.
  14. Lumberjack_jack

Lumberjack_jack Member

I always carried Buck 110's, have 4 of them, but just last week decided to upgrade to a benchmade big summit lake which was 4x what I could get a 110 for. 3X if i didnt get a smokin deal on a 110. This is my new limit.

15. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

It comes with a nicer box

mil spec and Addicted2Tone like this.
  16. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

Got a southern grind spider monkey on blade forums for 175 a week or so ago. Currently the most I've spent on a folder

17. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

I voted 101-250 but my top price is little less than $200 (170-180). HOWEVER, if a really good opportunity rises to buy a CRK Sebenza (till 2013-14) I could go a little more.

18. T-103

T-103 Member

I'm not big on folders. I only own 5 or so. Each year I buy myself a Christmas gift of one folder.
    I EDC the knife for a full year and then repeat the process again. The most I've spent on a folder was for my SOG Vulcan $200.00 or so. 2017's carry is the Avispa, so far so good, a decent budget blade.

19. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

You spent $200 on a SOG?

Spikebot587 likes this.
  20. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Realistically, no. There's nothing a $500 knife can do that a $20 knife can't do. They cut things.

But on that $500 knife, it will have better fit and finish, better lockup (Which actually means something when you're using a knife as a tool), better warranty, and better materials. If those things mean nothing to you, then you won't get anything out of owning a $500 knife.

I like Sebenza's because they're titanium, their fit and finish is perfect, their warranty is golden and because I don't want to pass on a $30 heirloom to my kids. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. You can buy a used Izula for $40 and have the best warranty on the planet and a knife that will last a lifetime.

So I think what you're actually asking for is proof of value. That's something you'll have to decide for yourself. We can't determine that for you.