Rinaldi Trento, Use and Thoughts

Discussion in 'Baryonyx Knife Co.' started by The Warrior, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Theodore

Theodore Member

Those thin flat sides do penetrate further. And American axes are not thin and flat for a reason, and being an "all arounder", is not the reason. The reason is sticking. What you have is too much penitration. A well designed axe minimizes the effort of the user. Those non flat cheeks on an American ax allow it to "release itself" from the cut. Or at least make it easy. They also allow the axe to throw a chip, so you dont have to twist the axe to do it. If you chop small little trees or limbs you may not know this about axes. (Or care for that matter) But if you work on larger stuff, or just more of it, it will become apparent quickly. Balance. Penitration is not the only factor:)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. Theodore

Theodore Member

You can find the green painted #4 Council Daytons for about the same price as the railsplitters if you look hard enough:). I forgot you like the Paul Bunion sized axes:)

3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I'm well aware of the purposes behind it and we've gone down that road plenty before, with me even linking to period descriptions of the functions of various aspects of axe head design. I'd advise you not to derail things yet again...

4. JAD

JAD Member

@The Warrior -- Thanks for the link. I just spent some time over there reading it. You're now in my backyard. :D

The Warrior and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  5. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

No problem man, glad you liked it. You must live in Missouri?

A few more shots.

[​IMG]

My wife was laughing at my hair in this photo. What the hell does she expect after not showering for 2 days, and sleeping on it for 2 nights, haha? Note the battle wound on my forearm. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

chorpie and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  6. FortyTwoBlades

That is certainly always one of the interesting aspects of headin' to camp. The lack of a daily bath or shower takes adjusting to--everything just feels different and a little alien until you settle into your "woods skin" as it were. It's almost like getting your sea legs. :D

chorpie, The Warrior and JAD like this.
  7. JAD

JAD Member

STL-MO

The Warrior likes this.
  8. daizee

daizee Member

Great review, Dubz!
    Cute axe too, and it performed as I'd expect for what it is. Thumbs-up.

I have a collection of maybe 7 axes of various types. Dunno about in your area being more plainsy, but in New England there are lots of classic American-made axes to be had at flea markets for good prices. Condition various, but refurbishing an axe head isn't too hard, and very satisfying.

9. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Thanks. Yeah, I need to get these rehandled:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have only had them for about 25 years, haha. Garage sale finds. I gave $2 for these, a push mower the guy thought was locked up, but wasn't, and I used it for 10 years, and a wooden box, haha.

mtngoat and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  10. daizee

daizee Member

Oh damn, Dubz!!

That double-bit looks like most of the steel is still there, I bet it will clean up well. Those things chop like YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE. But I'd avoid limbing with them... edges everywhere. Use the Norlund for that, and stand on the opposite side of the trunk.

Steel wool, some oil, or simply sno-seal (I love sno-seal). Hanging an axe isn't TOO hard, but it does help to have a vise and some appropriate tools. Also, a belt grinder with a 10" wheel doesn't hurt. :p

The Warrior and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  11. Theodore

Theodore Member

A. Hard to tell from a picture but that looks like a whole lotta handle on that hudson bay pattern.
    B. Is that a plumb on the right? That is the one I would want to clean up hang and use first.

The Warrior likes this.
  12. FortyTwoBlades

If working to remove any mushrooming from the polls, check for cracks and if none are present you can try gently cold-hammering them back in place. It'll save a lot of steel. The two rightmost ones look pretty worn and will likely need a lot of thinning in the cheeks to get them doing much other than splitting well. Quite the odd handle choice someone had for that Norlund HB!

The Warrior likes this.
  13. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

I did clean it up, and asked about the markings some time ago: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/867742-Help-With-Axe-Markings?p=9828943#post9828943

The Norlund has a crappy rehandle attempt by me years ago. I didn't know anything then, haha. Still, tbh, really don't know much about axes. The one on the right says True Temper on it.

Thanks for the input. As I said above, that was done by me. I went to the hardware store, and that was the only handle they had. I didn't know anything about hanging an axe, as you can plainly see, haha.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  14. Theodore

Theodore Member

Sweet. If you want it re hung give me a shout. Im sure we can work out a deal you are happy with.(to be clear I am not starting or offering a buisness service. ) I just want to get my hands on that axe:) )

The Warrior likes this.
  15. FortyTwoBlades

Looks like tons of shoulder left on it, so even if rehung you can reuse the handle. :)

The Warrior likes this.
  16. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Handle is way too long for that particular axe. I looked it up, and that pattern Norlund came with a 24" handle.

17. FortyTwoBlades

Yeah. Tend not to see HB's on anything over 28".

The Warrior likes this.
  18. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

I need to get some handles for all of em. Been too long, haha.

19. FortyTwoBlades

In the event that you want optimized handles sketched up just let me know. All I need are a couple good photos and one measurement for scale. :)

The Warrior likes this.