The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

If you're not familiar with Col. Jeff Cooper and you're interested in shooting and the outdoors, or just good writing in general, you should take the time to do a study on the man and some of his writings. Well worth the time. All of the high-speed firearms instructors out there these days: Proctor, Hailey, Yeager, Costa, [Insert your favorite] are all standing on his shoulders.

Ever hear someone say, "I messed up. I was walking around in Condition White"?

Do you understand what someone means when they speak of the 4 Firearm Safety Rules?

You can thank Cooper for both of those concepts, as he solidified them and then preached them to the masses. Take some time to review them, it's a good practice to check yourself from time to time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper

In fact, his Principles for Personal Defense should be required reading for all Americans. Here's a free .pdf copy for you to read:

http://www.twistedwiretactical.com/Twistedwire/Book_Club_files/Principles_of_Self_Defense.pdf

[​IMG]

One of Cooper's pet projects was coming up with the "One Rifle". We've all been there, right? At one point or another, we've all asked the question, what if I HAD to only have one knife/gun/woman/whatever? And then start trying to whittle down to something that can do it all. There seems to be something inherent in us to try to be as reliant as possible as simple as possible.

Regardless, Cooper decided on what he termed the Scout rifle and set about to design the best one that met his (self-imposed, arbitrary) criteria. I won't try to re-preach his message. After all, I've attached it below in his own words.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Expat

3. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Art of the Rifle is a great book. I read it at least once a year.

CooterJohnson likes this.
  4. Expat

Prior to his passing away, Cooper worked personally with Steyr to create his personal criteria approved Scout:

Cooper took this rifle to Africa and hunted successfully with it.

https://steyrarms.com/steyr-scout.html

Later, other manufacturers came out with their own Scouts. Ruger has been particularly successful with their model--the Gunsite Scout. Gunsite is the famous shooting school where Col. Cooper worked for so many years teaching some of the masters their craft. Later, Mossberg and Savage have come out with their versions of the Scout.

5. Expat

Art of the Rifle is a GREAT BOOK!

People think because they can lie on the ground and shoot some cans or Zombie targets with an AR, they are a rifleman. Not so. A real rifleman is not so easily found these days.

ChristopherRC, CooterJohnson and JMJ like this.
  6. Expat

Personally, I got a Ruger Scout (known commonly as the GSR for Gunsite Scout Rifle) a few years ago and mounted a Leopold Scout scope on it. I absolutely love this rifle. It is short (16" barrel) but powerful (.308). Yeah, I know you lose a bit of the ballistics shooting a .308 out of a 16" barrel but that's not the point. The point is that you can still do some damage both up close and far away in a platform that allows you to carry all day in the brush.

Here's a pic of mine. The most unique aspect is probably the forward mounted scope. Many people hate this concept. I love it. I can shoot with both eyes open but have a one-focal plane advantage of the crosshairs to aim in. It makes for very, very fast site acquisition, even in dense woods where it can sometimes take you a while to find the target in the brush.

[​IMG]

(I don't know why I can't rotate that thing!)

[​IMG]

One thing not pictured is the Ruger magazines. I prefer the new Magpul ones better. Better springs, tighter fit and I think a better quality overall.

This is my ONE rifle. I'm not selling my AR's or anything else cause they all have a place. But I've come to grab this thing first. And I know that I can put down anything that needs putting down (2 legged or 4 legged) with it.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

7. Expat

For those of you that are fans of Richard Mann or James Yeager or the history of the Scout rifle, here's a video you might enjoy. Recently Yeager purchased a Savage Scout rifle and went to Gunsite to take their Scout course. He video taped all of it and it is worth taking the time to watch them if you are into Scout rifles. The videos actually provide a lot of instruction from the Gunsite people who really know their stuff. The below video is just one in the whole series:

8. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I love the scout scope setup. It makes for way faster target acquisition if that's your goal. And for that 16" scout rifle, I'd imagine that it handles quick and nimble enough for close quarters shooting. Nice one Expat, I may have to give this Ruger a try as my next rifle!

Zeitgeist likes this.
  9. Expat

Secret of the Universe #4,495

Want to be a better shooter? Do what this 4 minute video tells you and you'll be better than 90% of the people out there. It's the secret to all successful shooting.

10. JMJ

JMJ Member

Truer words are hardly ever spoken!

Cooper is one of my all time favorites! His thumper concept caused me to try the 450bushmaster, and his involvement in the 10mm caused me to acquire a pistol chambered in it. I've never been let down by any of his ideas I tried. I was let down by hornady and remington for dropping the ball on 450B ammo so I traded that upper.

Zeitgeist and CooterJohnson like this.
  11. Expat

I regret not being around and being able to get training from these guys. Most of those masters are gone. And unlike a lot of the good instructors today, they were pioneers. They weren't regurgitating everything from those before them. There wasn't that much to regurgitate! Cooper was not just a great shot, he had a superior mind, born to invent and direct all things related to shooting. A genius.

CooterJohnson, jlowrance and JMJ like this.
  12. jlowrance

jlowrance Member

Heres my 308 the day I bought it. Hand down my favorite rifle.
    [​IMG]

13. Expat

Glad to hear that. I really like mine too. A lot of people dislike them and that's ok, I'm not trying to convert anyone.

But most of the complaints go like these: "My .300 win mag is more powerful"; "My .270 shoots flatter"; "My AR-10 holds more rounds", "My 12 lb, heavy barreled, bipoded sniper rifle is more accurate". And all of those statements are true. But those guns are very specialized in their application and do a poor job crossing over to other applications.

The Scout rifle does average or better in EVERY category. Mauser action, 10-round mags, light, powerful, etc. It's a good all around package. Can you get half MOA out of it? I don't know. But I know this: I'll never be shooting at any man or beast that's half-MOA size.

14. JAD

JAD Member

Does the forward scope mount subject the optics to greater dynamic forces? In short, is there a greater tendency to "shoot" the scope out because of the location. This is not something I've ever experienced or have first hand knowledge of, but rather something I've only heard talk about. I guess the suggestion is that the scope's optics can not only become maligned but actually broken if your scope is not up to the dynamics of the caliber being shot. Is this bullshit or is there something to it?

I love posts like this and I don't even own a hunting rifle.

Zeitgeist likes this.
  15. Expat

I've never heard that. But this scout scope has been in use on many rifles for many years. I'm on a scout rifle forum and I've never read anyone having a problem with that. It sounds a bit like BS to me. First of all, it's only a .308, not some 500 Nitro Express. And the scope is designed for that. It's not a .22 or pistol scope. More importantly, Col. Cooper recommended it and shot it like that for years. I would take his suggestion over the average "expert".

Zeitgeist, CooterJohnson and JMJ like this.
  16. JMJ

JMJ Member

It's the original general purpose rifle. And for most folks that have a reason to need a rifle I'm pretty damn sure it'd fill every possible need. At least here in the lower 48.

Zeitgeist, CooterJohnson and Emac like this.
  17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I struggle with the "one rifle" concept not because it's a great idea but because I'm a gun guy. Buying more stuff has always been fun for me.

It's time for me to get a ruger gunsite rifle. My days of having specialized guns is over. I can't afford to have a small child and lots of toys anymore. All purpose has found a spot in my collection.

OKcherokee and CooterJohnson like this.
  18. Expat

I'm certainly not against guys having a bunch of guns. But, if they aren't an investment or an heirloom or something, eventually, I think, "Man, I haven't even gotten this gun out in 7 years". Then, I start wondering why I hold onto it when I can turn that money into a more useful piece of gear, or even a hunting trip. As I get older, I find I'm more interested in accumulating memories rather than things. When I was younger, it was all about the toys. Now, it's getting to be all about the experiences. Just my $.02

kreeves, Solo, Blake G and 8 others like this.
  19. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

That's the truth. I've sold off most of my stuff. Had to put family first. doing this has really made me appreciate the One Gun.

20. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

By far, the Scout rifle is my favorite rifle. I find myself grabbing it more often than anything else. Its my hog gun, bear gun, deer gun, and knock around gun. Everyone who is a Cooper connoisseur should read Art of the Rifle. Many misconceptions as to what a Scout Rifle is, and isn't. Col. Cooper rolled in his grave when Ruger made this rifle in 223/556 ("poodle caliber")!

JMick and Expat like this.