Show me your axes!

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Klynesquatch, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JAD

JAD Member

@Southern Gent -- Owning a hand hatchet as I do, I absolutely believe it can substitute for a large knife quite easily. Especially if paired with a nice smaller sized knife (like a large knife might by anyway).

Klynesquatch likes this.
  2. Theodore

Theodore Member

Where I am a large knife is a poor substitute for an axe:) I will let the people who play in the jungle defend the large knife and machete.

3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

For me in NJ a large knife (8"+) replaces a hatchet but not a large axe. My CPK Light Chopper is much more useful than most hatchets but couldn't replace my Velvicut Hudson Bay, especially in winter time when I need an axe in the woods the most.

4. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

Let me know how you like that over your GBs. He's a very talented individual, I enjoy following his work on Instagram, and I have a soft spot for NC small businesses. His belt hatchets are just about double the cost of a GB hatchet and his recent curly maple handled hatchet nearing 4x the price. I know you're not buying wall hangers so just curious what you think.

5. chorpie

chorpie Member

California Pizza Kitchen makes knives?

6. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

That's right.

7. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

For me, the cost isn't stopping me from ordering one of his axes.. it's the damn year wait that I can't do. I completely understand why there's a wait but I can't wait a year for an axe.

8. Theodore

Theodore Member

I find a large knife Is the second or third choice for any given task I may have to do. I own large knives and machetes that I "reviewed" and never used again. Im still trying to get rid of a couple. I like the hudson bay pattern. Makes a great belt/camp axe.

9. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

My Rinaldi Trento came in today. Lemme sum it up real quick. Damn.

otis and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  10. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

Flick the bit and listen to it sing. :D

11. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

I did, haha. Man, what a beast. Shaved the hair right off. Glad I went for the special grade.

otis and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  12. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Hate indoor photos, but I just had to do it. What a beast:

[​IMG]

Sure makes my Roselli look small. Of course, it is small:

[​IMG]

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  13. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

Yes his wait times is pushed on out there now, probably a big factor in what they sell for. Really just curious how his hatchet compares/differs from the Gransfors Bruxs hatchet, since I 'think' SG has one to compare.

Keep an eye on his dealers they seem to be popping up semi regularly. I like his little saddle axe and will try to pick one up.

ManOfSteel and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  14. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

As do I @FeralGentleman. I'd pick one up if it popped up for sale but I want that 28" Camp Axe bad.

15. Theodore

Theodore Member

So I hear the Ames true temper (marked true american on the handles) are a thing of the past. I called the the company when saw this on another forum. It is true. They will continue to sell striking tools, as they call them, but not this line. Nor, do i think american made, as the Ames true temper is. So of course, I ran out and had my local hardware store order one.[​IMG]
    This is the Michigan pattern. 3.5 lb head and 36 inch handle. This pattern evolved from felling big and during the winter frozen pine. And the fact that of all the patterns this one is still made is telling.[​IMG] The easiest way to tell the Michigan is the rounded poll.
    This is a hardware store axe. No doubt. It is a cast head. There is deffinately a good solid inch of hardened steel behind the edge. (Stickers removed)[​IMG]
    Speaking of the edge, it is a bit uneven. And I need to take the file to it as they "rolled" the edge at the factory. Only ever so slightly.[​IMG] The marking leads me to believe I have gotten one from the last year of manufacture. The bit is at a good angle and it looks like it will be a good felling and bucking axe. It is a 35 dollar full size axe. The handle is hickory. I believe it is made of board stock. On one side of the swell knob it is flat. The entire rest of tbe handle is rounded well and fits my hands nicely. Unlike Collins and Huskey who use board stock and leave it flat the entire sides. Those flat sided handles render an axe unusable to me. The grain is running less than ideal and contains heartwood. Again, $35 axe. The eye is good and the head sits perfectly in line with the handle. It is fastened with a wooden wedge and the newer round ring everyone seems to be using. It is solid.The paint is crap, it is already coming off. That is ok, I am going to help it off the rest of the way. The handle will be sanded, and a better edge will be put on. Then we will see what the axe that Michigan pine made can do to some frozen maine pine:)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Dagwood and ManOfSteel like this.
  16. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

FortyTwoBlades and Theodore like this.
  17. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I've heard of Nupla before but mostly as a fiberglass handle maker. If memory serves correctly they were one of the first big names pioneering them.

The Warrior likes this.
  18. Theodore

Theodore Member

Three and a half or four pounds is my limit for felling and bucking. Splitting is a different matter. You start swinging a six pounder looking looking like Olive Oil, you go home looking like Popeye.

Dagwood and The Warrior like this.
  19. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Haha, I hear ya. I'm decently sized though. I can swing an 8lb sledge with one hand. Well, I could 5 or 6 years ago anyways.

I was watching a few videos of a guys swinging 4lb council tool axes., seemed to work very well.

20. The Warrior

The Warrior Member