Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Sheepdog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

Don't know much about axes. Here in Central FL is not exactly logging country. I typically just pick up an axe and start chopping away. I have tried to learn more. As of a day ago, I didn't know what a poll was. Nevertheless, I just received this in.

[​IMG]

Handle wasn't coated with polymer, which is nice, but I put a light sanding on it and knocked off the warnings and branding. I coated it in its first dressing of BLO.

[​IMG]

The edge came with a pretty substantial bur, which I put a stone and steop on and quickly made it shaving sharp.

[​IMG]

The grain orientation is nice.

[​IMG]

It does look like the head has a poor fit on the shoulder. We'll see if it becomes a problem.

[​IMG]

It carries light, like a hatchet, but feels heavy when swinging. The flat edge looks like it will work great for planing.

Overall this is the nicest axe I own. We'll see how it works out for light chopping and making things.

Kaw-liga, FortyTwoBlades, JAD and 2 others like this.
  2. Sheepdoggitydog

Sheepdoggitydog Member

Nice man! Put a few more coats of that BLO on it.

3. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

One of my buddies uses this as his main chopper on overnight trips and for general woods. He's put it to good use.

I've read elsewhere that the fit varies, but his is good. I've used it some and beard allows for a good grip when doing detailed work.

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

I got to play around with it a little bit this morning. It is a decent little chopper. As for planing and carving, it works really well. I'm digging this little axe.

R Stowe likes this.
  5. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Very nice man, congrats.

6. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

I have one of these. It's actually made by Hults Bruks, or Hultafors. It's rebranded by husquavarna and has a pretty crummy finish on the grind and handle compared to what they ussually do. But the fitment of the handle and steel is on par with the other swedish axes. Little bit of sanding and you just saved 50 bucks.

For actual chopping and general non carpenters axe things it does pretty ok. Dosn't bite very deep because the bit is so wide and has no real curve to it. But the flat bit chunks out wood pretty good. Splitting isn't so great, but its not really made to. The head though is very heavy when comparing it to other axes with similar handle lenght. Overal not a great design for general use.

Oh, but the mask is actually good. Like better than gransfors and wetterlings.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

It's got a pretty good sharp bit for cutting things and a pretty good dull bit for pounding things. I think overall it will work out better than what I had. I intend to buy the whole Husqvarna hand-forged line for the homestead.

8. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

If you wanna make that thing fit better you can sometimes soak the whole head in BLO and it'll make the wood swell and keep it tight. Also make sure you put a healthy coating on the end grain of the handle.

9. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I have shopped these off and on when I think about buying a small ax. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on it.

ChristopherRC likes this.