Looking for a case

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Jeff Randall, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

to store an M4 style rifle in the vehicle full time. Lots of different cases out there but wanted to see what y'all suggest.

2. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

Pelican is the best. Boyt can be had for about half cost (palmetto state) and is still pretty good.

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Hard or Soft Jeff (minds out of the gutter children ;) ) Hard cases provide greater protection and, to some degree, security. They are however bulky and obvious looking, a pain to grab and run with as well. Soft cases offer less protection for the rifle and are harder to secure. They are however easier to squirrel away behind a seat or space, can be much less obtrusive looking and easier to grab and run with if needed. Goals and your own thinking will dictate it from there.

4. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I don't have one, but I have hunted with a fellow that had a truck vault. Very nice setup for an SUV. You also can put other stuff in with it without taking up a lot of space. He keep his dog box on top of his.

5. JMJ

JMJ Member

I've got a Cabelas soft two rifle tactical case in army digital camo, I think they only offer it in black now. Made from really durable nylon and has overbuilt zippers. Molle loops across the entire front and comes with two molle pouches for storing 3-30rnd magazines or other gear and more can be added. I've used this thing a lot since 2010 and it still looks like new. I think I paid less than $80 for it. It's capable of storing two 20" fixed stock ARs, but is much more suited to M4 sized rifles. image.png
    image.png

Voodoo Tactical makes a case that's very similar if Cabelas no longer carries the one I posted.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Hide it in blankets. Gun cases get stolen. Blankets not so much.

JV3 and JMJ like this.
  8. JAD

JAD Member

@Strigidae -- and you wonder why they pick on you.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

JMJ, Strigidae and chorpie like this.
  9. chorpie

chorpie Member

A pelican hard case seems the way to go if you're looking full time and it's sharing space with other things. that way you can secure it in the vehicle, and can also not worry if you need to toss things on top of it temporarily

JMJ likes this.
  10. Mudman

Mudman Member

11. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

[​IMG]
    Part 1 ofthe project.

Strigidae likes this.
  12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Sad thing is i was being serious.

Tango now thats cool!!

JAD and JMJ like this.
  13. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

Yep. Had to back down and think smaller. The RPG was longer than the width of the truck bed.

Strigidae and JMJ like this.
  14. JMJ

JMJ Member

I usually have my case/s under blankets or jackets in the extended cab of my pickup. I've been thinking about one of the tennis racket style carbine cases lately or a "grey man" backpack tall enough to fit a carbine broke down in the main compartment.

15. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

For a few years in the 90s, I had a soft top Wrangler. A company made a metal box that bolted to the floor and had an open side that was flush with the lockable rear swing gate. Instant lockable trunk. It was awesome.

anrkst6973 likes this.
  16. Dougmau

Dougmau Member

The Pelican I had even had wheels. I had cutout in foam for everything. Little heavy but will protect it for sure. Plus it was Airline Aporoved and locked.

17. Goose

Goose Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    JMJ likes this.
  18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

3Ridges is on the right track Boss. Something hard,lockable,and bolted or otherwise attached to the vehicle is what you want. Even if you had to go custom made. ( Don't try to bs us either, we know you got plenty of money with all the knives we've bought ;) ) All joking aside here's why. Some years back I was on my way home from a hunt, I pulled into a 24hr big box store about 9pm, pulled into a space not real far from the door,hopped out and locked her up. I got like 3 items and hit the express lane, maybe gone a total of 7-10 minutes. My drivers side window was missing/shattered, my rifle in a case was gone from the rear floorboard,so was my gear bag sitting on top of the case,and my climbing stand from the rear seat. While the LEO's were doing their thing I noted one very particular fact...my extended cab was the only vehicle in sight that had mud on it. Both fingerprints and blood evidence was found but I never got my rifle or anything else back. You're a smart man Boss dude, but don't get slack and think it couldn't or wouldn't happen to you. That "mud" fact has always stuck with me, I was targeted by a waiting thief. And you can't tell when your ride might be next on the list.

19. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

Is this going in a Jeep? if you are looking for a secure permanently fixed device I have some experience on those.

20. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

4Runner.