Wilson PACKLite

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Sam Wilson, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Hooo-buddy, just wait until the anodized guards and handles are put on there, and shoot some GunKote on those blades!

Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  2. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Handles are machined and done. Caps and guards are next, and will probably take until the end of the month, for technical reasons too boring to share. Then we do anodizing. Getting there, folks! Also, I have upgraded the compass in the buttcap to a glow in the dark/luminous model, so that is a plus I feel good about. upload_2023-2-15_14-4-49.gif upload_2023-2-15_14-4-49.gif :):)

Sam

Bushman5, Strigidae and Twoody88 like this.
  3. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Got a final production sample in. Buttcaps are nearly done, and then off for anodizing. Looking good! upload_2023-2-21_16-10-54.gif upload_2023-2-21_16-10-54.gif

[​IMG]

Sam

Strigidae, KnOeFz and Bushman5 like this.
  4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Nice work. These are going to be phenomenal.

Bushman5 and Sam Wilson like this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Bushman5 and Sam Wilson like this.
  6. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Thank you, getting very pumped!

Thank you!

Sam

Strigidae likes this.
  7. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

I went ahead and took all of the components and GunKoted a unit, (this one has an early buttcap, the latest ones are slightly different), just to see what we are looking at. Whoa. I am beyond pleased! The base unit with anodized handle/guard/buttcap will look slightly different finishwise, but will be very tough looking also, with the Type III anodizing. These are going to be great, guys!

[​IMG]

Sam

KnOeFz, Strigidae and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  8. Strigidae

Nice!!!

Sam Wilson and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

@Sam Wilson , epic. Just epic.

I might be a month late in sending my payment once you have these ready.... work is picking up slowly

Sam Wilson likes this.
  10. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Thank you!

Don't sweat it, bud!:)

Sam

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

thanks man !

Sam Wilson likes this.
  12. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

Sweeeet!

Sam Wilson likes this.
  13. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

OK guys, getting down to brass tacks here. Machining is nearly done, and some parts are being anodized already, followed soon by the rest.

I have been going over this and trying to figure out the best way to make the options available to everyone, without me losing my mind and destroying my business model of having a simple product that can be made readily available to everyone through a painless checkout at the website.

At this point in time, and I would like some feedback on this, the best way I can figure to do this is to have the base model, which has the anodized guard handle and butt cap, and a GunKoted blade, ready for sale right out the door at the website.

Then, I will offer the custom shop, which will allow you to get a fully GunKoted knife, potentially pick another color of GunKote, and potentially a different color of kydex, upgraded compass, and also a satin hand sanded blade, which there has been a good bit of interest in, etc.

I don't want to mess with the pricing on the base model, and a tremendous amount of work was done to bring it in at the $300 price tag with the leather belt loop and kydex sheath included ($275 for just knife and sheath), making it a great value in my opinion, especially with all the work being done here in the U.S.

But the customized options are not cheap, as all of the upgrades require very skilled labor (me). Whether it's a hand sanded blade, or a fully GunKoted model, or whatever. So what I'm planning on doing is having the Custom Shop available and if you choose to get the upgraded finishes, you can select from several different available options.

Custom Shop models will also be marked "Custom Shop" so people will know it is a factory authorized modification. Let me know what you think. Also, pictured below is a satin blade with hand sanded flats and machine surface finished bevels in a tester handle/guard. Feedback is welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sam⚔️

Bushman5, Strigidae and KnOeFz like this.
  14. Strigidae

I think its a solid idea sir.

15. DYSPHORIC JOY

Is full tang an option?:D

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

:D:D:D:D

17. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Thank you. A lot to juggle, but we're getting there.

@DYSPHORIC JOY Absolutely! At time of checkout simply enter coupon code "me-iz-dumb2023" and I'll make sure you get exactly what you deserve in your package.

Sam

erik, DYSPHORIC JOY and Strigidae like this.
  18. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

I have to get all of this put onto the website and streamlined here in the next week or two. But the way it looks like it is going is there will be two ways to purchase the P.A.C.K.Lite knife on the Gear Convoy website.

#1 is to purchase the stock/base model, which has the OD GunKoted blade, OD anodized handle/guard/and buttcap for the price advertised, which is $275 with sheath, the hand crafted leather belt loop and attachment hardware/clip adds $25. There will be no customizations to this model, and it will be available on the website for immediate purchase.

#2 is to go to the "Custom Shop" on the site. This will give the option of a fully GunKoted unit in either OD or Wilson Gray, a hand sanded satin blade (on the anodized or GunKoted body), and the choice of OD or black kydex sheath.

There will be one price for the finish upgrade, whether it is full GunKote, the change to Wilson Gray, or the change to a hand sanded blade, $60. If you choose to get the hand sanded blade and full GunKote on the rest of the knife (excluding the blade, obviously) there will be a discount for not having to coat the blade, i.e. $60 for the satin blade and only $30 to GunKote the rest of the knife.

From there, you can also select black kydex instead of the standard OD kydex, a $5 upgrade. This is simply because of the logistics of stocking mostly OD kydex, and having to keep black sheaths in stock. The only caveat to the Custom shop is that you must select a finish upgrade (full GunKote in either OD or Wilson Gray, or a hand sanded satin blade) to be able to add customizations. Otherwise there will be too much mixing and matching of options for this to work.

Knives that are done through the custom shop may have an additional 5-10 days processing time added for custom options, depending on volume of request. I am still undecided if the Custom Shop knives should be marked with "Custom Shop" on the blade or not, so please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Sam

Strigidae likes this.
  19. DYSPHORIC JOY

That is a lot of work to not mark Custom Shop.

Wilson Gray just pops also.

Sam Wilson likes this.
  20. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

I like the Custom Shop mark idea, also. I don't want to make it too busy, but I think that is the way it is going to go. Will be very small and retro stylish. And thank you.

R Stowe and Strigidae like this.