ear protection suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by indulf, Nov 1, 2016.

1. indulf

indulf Member

2. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

I have 3 pair of those and they are great for the money, batteries last a long time.
    [​IMG]

BlueDogScout and hma153 like this.
  3. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I have used that same pair for years. They are about the best you can buy on the cheap. I find them comfortable, good at muffling the bad sounds but amplifying the good sounds, and the battery lasts forever.

I do have some custom molded plugs I use sometimes but the ones in the OP have been my go-to for years and years.

hma153 likes this.
  4. Rich275

Rich275 Member

Ditto the other posters. I like that they come with a plug in wire so you can attach comms as long as they use a 3.5mm plug. I'm on my second pair.

5. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Loaned mine out today at the range to a rather nice looking guest of a club member who was not cool enough to make sure he had all the gear his guest needed. He also couldn't get her grip fixed so she'd stop causing herself malfunctions. It was painful to watch and not offer assistance.

Theodore, Delkancott and JMJ like this.
  6. ny700

ny700 Member

Great pair for the price. I'm really cautious about my hearing especially since a shoot a lot of high powered rifles with large muzzle brakes. I usually double up with foam plugs under electronic over the ear

7. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Agreed, If indoors or as you stated, I always double up.

Talking to a guy at work in his early 20's last week and every time I would say something he say huh and said I was mumbling. After talking with him a bit I realized he could not hear worth a crap and know he's likes to shoot. So I finally ask if he uses hearing protection when shooting and he responded with a no. I responded without really thinking, you are a dumb ass.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Delkancott, evilunclegrimace and JMJ like this.
  8. JMJ

JMJ Member

I've been wondering about the model in the OP myself lately. I've had custom molded plugs for about 10 years and love them, also have a couple of the cheapo Winchester muffs for my wife and myself that function ok. I'm like some of you if I'm shooting my braked 7mmRM or anything excessively loud I double up on ear protection.

9. ny700

ny700 Member

So here is an odd question. Does anyone know if 1. Would molded hearing aids provide ample protection, and 2. Would insurance pay anything towards molded professionally tuned ear protection

10. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

11. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Beat me to it - was going to post the sale link myself.

12. Benson X

Benson X Member

I think I need to pick up the Howard Leights. I've use a buddy's set and they worked fine, and the size is nice. They are not as thick/bulky as some of the other electronic 'muffs out there.

Which leads me to these: http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/walkers/electronic-muffs/gwp-xpmb.aspx

I picked-up a pair of these (^^^) from Costco year. They were on sale for $39, and I figured they must be great for the price. Performance-wise, they are great. Very responsive, adjustable sensitivity for each side, and the amplification is decent w/o sounding digitized.

Bur, their size is obscene! They are so damn bulky I can't even get a proper cheekweld while wearing them. On many occasions, I have to re-adjust my sight-line for every shot and typically the stock ends up bumping/pushing the muff off my ear due to their size. If you don't get a good seal - you don't get good (safe) protection. Also, the battery covers are flimsy and fall off easily. I'm very surprised I still have them on each side.

13. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

if required for work , I do believe they will cover it.....(at least up hear in Canada).

15. C99c

C99c Member

Just a heads up for anyone who purchased these from Amazon: there are reports from multiple sources that some are fakes.

Amazon is apparently aware and has notified and reimbursed some folks.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017