Looking esee edc. Agk or rb3-bo

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Canadianknifeguy, May 5, 2022.

1. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Hey I'm looking at getting a new esee knife. I have had a izula 2 and currently have a cr2.5 but would like a larger knife as well to add to my daily carry(to be honest money burning a hole in my pocket). The knife has to be 3.5" or less due to lenth restrictions and fairly versatile for daily tasks to picnic and whittling. Just looking for a good all around knife.

So my options are the agk or the rb3-bo and possibly the jg3 but I personally dont really like the look of it(jg3 mostly the angle) but reviews are saying it's very good)

I'm looking at ordering hopefully this weekend. Any info on which and why. To be honest I'm leaning towards the rb3. That said is there anything on the blade life from sharpening (supposedly lots of metal removed when sharpening?)

I do not have a dealer near me so I cannot go handle them and decide that way sadly.

Thanks

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I only have the RB3 so mine is a biased opinion, you would be hard pressed to find a more comfortable “out of the box” knife. There’s a reason modded versions are as rare as hens teeth. As to excessive wear, there’s a thread at the bottom of this page “Show off your RB3’s” I think….Several that date to the year they came out. Even those who choose true scandi sharpening show minimal wear down.
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed.

Canadianknifeguy likes this.
  3. erik

erik Member

the RB3 with its scandi grind will excel at carving green wood.
    The AGK with its flat grind will be more versatile.
    If you have XL hands, the RB3 grip may be a bit small.
    the Rb3 is smaller and lighter if grams matter to you.

I have an AGK and have used it to field dress and process a deer or 3.
    I do not have an RB3.

4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Id look into the xancudo as well for EDC. Another option to ponder, sir.

5. erik

erik Member

Love my xancudo - and if you don't like orange, drew redbear makes some pretty good aftermarket scales for cheap.

6. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Well the Xancudo is now the top of my list! sadly also the most expensive here of my list lol. oh well.

The orange actually is good as it screams tool and my cr2.5 will match.

Any hotspots on the handle?(medium hands) My only real gripe of the izula2 and some other brand knives I've used and held are hand feel. I just like a natural hand feel no weird bumps and such (not that these have that).

7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I think it fits the hand better than my izula 2 but ive not had any issues with the Iz2. Everyone, and i mean everyone, has a preference and different idea of what feels good in the hand so take that for what its worth.

Stray Round likes this.
  8. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Tis true, and again the izula 2 was good I just needed to modify the handle and choil if I wanted it more ergonomic for me.

I think this knife is closer to what I like as I do like the esee sheath and clip as it works well on clothes without a belt and is secure. I'm still tempted by the rb3 though....

9. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Erik which would you say has the better hand feel in your opinion? The Xancudo or the rb3?

10. erik

erik Member

Xancudo - the RB3 handle was too skinny for me.

11. erik

erik Member

Here's a comparison shot:
    Despite only having a 3-finger grip, the xancudo is very comfortable in use.
    The agk has a thin, but full length handle that works great and the canvas micarta is plenty grippy, even when covered with biological matter in freezing temps.

IMG_20220506_222812686~2.jpg

12. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Thanks for the comparison pic and info. what size hands are you? I got basically a tighter full grip on the izula 2 with medium>large hands.

I like the idea of the rb3 more but the Xancudo would go well with the cr2.5 for a coverage of all tasks while drawing no attention.

As for the agk it was more on my list as it's cheaper and at the time better option over another izula 2 for just a larger knife.

Wish we had them here to handle. A bunch to think on.

13. sv4

sv4 Member

Have you considered the 3HM? Blade length is close to 3.5" and I found the rounded handle to be very comfortable. I have also tried out the RB3 and the JG3 models at the local dealer, and find the RB3 comes a close second to the 3HM for balance and in-hand comfort. Didn't quite like the handle ergonomics of the JG3.

14. erik

erik Member

sorry - yes, it was the JG3 handle that was too small for me.
    If they had put the JG3 blade on an RB3, I'd have one. (just not a big fan of scandi for the woods I play in)

3HM is a good alternative -- VERY comfortable handle even for my XL-XXL wide mitts.

IMG_20220507_082658501~2.jpg

15. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

I actually really want the 3hm but the minute amount of length over makes all the difference sadly to me. I just want to be above reproach if I run into anything in regards to carrying it. That said the police friend said I wouldn't have a issue carrying a slightly larger knife but you only need one issue to mess it up. Hence sadly not considering the 3hm though it checks every box but length for me

I actually agree with you Erik that the jg3 blade on the rb3 would be cool and be a good fitting knife.

Well im still no closer to making a decision... The Xancudo is the safe bet but I also like the rb3 for the size but too am not sure on the scandie part. I like the akg but it seems more single purpose compared to the xancudo and rb3 imo.

16. erik

erik Member

The agk will do anything you ask it to.
    It was designed as a skinner/caper and meat processor, but will do any camp kitchen chore, fire prep, etc...
    Plus it's thin, light, and easy to carry.

And it's supposed to be released in S35vn "soon", which will make it even better.

17. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Good to hear and That is what I'm thinking too. I started with the agk as my choice as it was bigger than the izula 2. But the rb3 draws me in but I have a mora eldris that is a beast for small carvings.

I think it's between the agk and the rb3, the akg for versatility but I like wood carving and possibly the possible better handfeel on the rb3 and my cr2.5 can do the more detailed or prep things it may not do....

Thanks to everyone for their info and help I'll post what I have decided.

Lol "soon" like the mythical cr 3.0? I'm fine with 1095 it will just raise the price from super expensive here to outrageous. Though less maintenance would be very nice.

18. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Good to hear and That is what I'm thinking too. I started with the agk as my choice or another izula 2 to replace the one I traded as the price was just above. Then I think my cr2.5 fits most things and thats where I'm hung up on that I just want a bigger handle and blade but still edc. I think it's between the agk and the rb3 more leaning to the akg for versatility though I like wood carving.

Thanks to everyone for their info and help I'll post what I have decided.

Lol "soon" like the mythical cr 3.0? I'm fine with 1095 it will just raise the price from super expensive here to outrageous.

19. sideshot

sideshot Member

I got the Xancudo with the hole in it for a piggyback knife for my Junglas and love it so much I am going to keep the stock sheath mounted to the Junglas and I just ordered the Architect Sheath so I can carry when I don't need the big guy

20. Canadianknifeguy

Canadianknifeguy Member

Well one knife purchased (fallkniven r2) in between and a yearish later I am the proud owner of a 3hm! Just arrived today and should be my new edc or at least in the rotation with the cr2.5.

TerryD likes this.