My First Post on ESEE!

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by The General, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Welcome! It really is a great place here! Between this forum and the old ESEE forum I have been around a little over a decade. Just joined BushcraftUSA a little over a year ago and that seems to be a great place as well.

2. The General

The General Member

Thanks!

Ha, regardless of the knifes performance, sounds like you have a keeper at home. :)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. The General

The General Member

Thanks. I actually was going to sign up there the same day, but after the experience I had with Bladeforums, I figured I'd come straight to the source. Glad I did.

4. Bozho

Bozho Member

Perhaps it needs a good sharpening?
    I don't really like the design and handles of the Beckers, but on the ones I've had the steel was decent.

5. The General

The General Member

I must have tried to write about using the ESEE 5 yesterday 3 different times; but simply, it's perfect for my needs. Splits wood better than anything I've ever used (with less safety concerns) in 1-3 good swings. I think my 3 and 5 cover my needs...

However; I am looking for a small, simple, and easy to deploy knife that will fit into my pocket in the city for when I don't wish to draw attention. My first thought would be the Izula, but I don't need a blade that thick for this and would prefer it if it was folding. Has anyone used any of the ESEE/Expat folders (Zancudo, Avispa, Expat Medeliin)? I'm considering ordering one, but I figured I'd see what your experience with them. This one would only be used for regular city knife tasks, I won't be beating on it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

The 5 is no doubt an uncompromising blade that will serve you well.

The General and Strigidae like this.
  7. The General

The General Member

I am really starting to see this. Honestly, if I can find an effective way to for it to sit flush on my leg (maybe I'll just tie the top of the molle backer to my holster as it seems the molle straps are more loose than the one on the 3 or 4), then this is my go to knife. It does everything I ask it to with zero issues including everything I used my 3 for, but I will keep the 3 as it also did everything I asked (except larger splitting and prying). Perfect combo in my mind.

Have you had experience with the ESEE/Expat folders?

8. Bozho

Bozho Member

If you're not really into folders, like I am, my honest advice would be to get something more premium and stick to it. Buy once, cry once - this is my mindset for folders. Of course if you plan to have several ones, then you can surely get some of these models for a rotation.

Bustedaw11, sv4, nofuss and 1 other person like this.
  9. The General

The General Member

What's the best folder that ESEE makes? I'm open to others, but to be honest, my experience with ESEE's products is what I would expect when I'm buying a tool for life and it hasn't let me down yet (except handle and size on the 4 as a survival/woods knife, I just sold it yesterday).

10. Bozho

Bozho Member

I'm not saying they are bad, but I would get a Spyderco or Benchmade personally, made in the US, better materials and will give you joy and pride of ownership.
    No need to be a super steel and golden plated handles, but good grippy G10 and S30V blade will be more than enough for a solid EDC blade.
    Now if they make something as good as the fixed blades, I will be all over it.

11. anomad

anomad Member

The Churp is another ESEE design, if that hasn't popped up on your radar yet. I had never heard of it till someone mentioned it here.

You can also read about the Ontario RAT folders and the evolution to the Avispa. There is some history to these designs some of us older guys remember.

The General likes this.
  12. Bozho

Bozho Member

The RATs are a good design, just don't wash them with hot water, so the scales won't warp :D
    I had two and got rid of them, because within a year of use the locking liner moved all the way to the right. Other than that they actually cut pretty well.

13. The General

The General Member

Ha, actually always wanted a Benchmade knife.

Which models would you suggest? It's purpose would be regular cutting, food prep, and possible self defense if required. I would prefer to buy one tool once.

14. Bozho

Bozho Member

I really like the looks of the Persidio 2 - full size, S30V and a decent price. Also the Spyderco Manix 2 XL. I am waiting for one of these to become available in the EU (they're out of stock) so I can get something for EDC. Until then it's the Izula 2 :)

15. The General

The General Member

I'm leaning towards the Expat Medellion. A folder version type of the ESEE 3 shape immediately caught my attention.

Anyone have experience with the Benchmade Bugout? It's probably going to be between these two knives, or, lord have mercy if you guys keep pumping me up, I may just get both (they are both already in my cart to order :D).

16. sv4

sv4 Member

I find that the Avispa carries well but the action is not that great. There is also a bit of issue with the pocket clip pressing against the lock bar, in the right side tip up position. As for the Benchmade Bugout and the sister Bailout, I have them both and much prefer them for EDC because of the slim design and good action. I particularly like the aluminum scaled Bailout with the M4 blade.

17. sv4

sv4 Member

I agree that the ESEE folders have so far been a bit disappointing and not up to par with the quality of their fixed blades.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bozho like this.
  18. The General

The General Member

Then you sound like the person to talk to! Truthfully, the purpose for this knife is 100% for the city. General utility cutting, food prep, and emergency self defense (I prefer to walk, so dealing with loose aggressive pitbulls and meth addicts is just about daily here).

Would the Bugout fit well for this and are there any suggestions you can give for these?

19. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Member

I’ve had my fair share of Spyderco folders (Delica, PM2, Native, Dragonfly) and while I like them a lot, the Benchmade Bugout quickly became my go-to EDC blade. It does everything I want it to, it holds an edge well and almost disappears in my pocket. It would be my recommendation.

20. The General

The General Member

Thank you. Is there anything you wouldn't do with your Bugout? I'd like to know it's limitations.