My First Post on ESEE!

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by The General, Feb 9, 2022.

1. The General

The General Member

Haha same. I'm still very much in love with my 3 and would probably shed a tear if I sold it.

You actually have all the ones I was considering; ESEE 5, Junglas, and Laser Strike. What do you find each one best at and what you would avoid each one for?

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Without the stiffener it would fold over when I bent down.

DSCF1400 (2).JPG

I put in a strip of kydex to make it more rigid.

DSCF1398 (2).JPG

It changed the Hang.

DSCF1399 (2).JPG

I have never tried Bear Fat on the Divot, it might get runny in the heat.
    Vaseline, Wax, Pine Pitch and green leafy materials have all worked for me in the Divot.

3. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

The Laserstrike is the best general purpose field knife I’ve owned/used. It works well for anything I’ve used the Izula 2, 3, 5 and 6 for. I’ve chopped/hingecut 4” sweet gum trees with it cause they were blocking the view from a deer stand. 672E9D9D-7DBE-478B-ABF3-59A4857C0C14.jpeg It’s the main reason I parted with those other models and picked up a second LS(pictured) as a main user since my first one is sentimental due my best friend modding it for me. I find it and the 5 cover most all the same tasks, but I’d say the LS is better at doing more detail/finesse work that smaller blades are typically choice for. For me the only things the 5 beats the LS at are splitting wood and prying when absolutely necessary. Barring those 2 uses I always grab a Laserstrike over my 5.

My Junglas has pretty much become an essential work tool for me. And it’s usually the first thing I grab going outdoors unless I’m strictly hunting/sitting in a stand. I really prefer it over my 5 for batoning because it gives a lot more blade to work with so I don’t feel so limited to log sizes. There’s a lot of techniques to use it like you would a smaller blade through making it stationary for pull cutting or using a cordage lanyard around my forearm and holding the spine to skin a deer. I do prefer batoning with my 5 if it’s logs with a lot of twisted grain or knots in it. I’ve put the Junglas through that in the past and it’s help up fine, but there’s a little peace if mind that comes with 1/4” thick 1095.

Zeek, Not Sure, Bozho and 1 other person like this.
  4. The General

The General Member

Ah, gotcha. Smart idea! I usually carry my knives on a leg holster via molle, I'll keep this in mind though if I decide to carry it another way. Thanks, and you gotta let me see those babies out of the sheath!

5. The General

The General Member

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Sounds silly, but if the Laserstrike was more of the shape of ESEE's main knives, I would have bought it long ago. Something about the Laserstrike shape (handle and blade) bothers me for some reason, but considering that you use both and find it effective, I may need to give one a try.

Great tips for the Junglas! Have you found any limitations for the Junglas? I had a similar use blade/machete, but got rid of it as I didn't feel confident in it holding up when I needed it most.

6. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

The only thing I like to do specifically with my knives in 1095 is sharpen out the rough bevels. I like smooth bevels because I feel like they rust less.. if your using it, it's not gonna have rust on it anyway though. Otherwise I use mine and bk2 for all sorts of chopping and splitting chores. They split wood great because of that thick blade.

7. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

The Twins.

upload_2022-2-10_13-3-53.jpeg

8. The General

The General Member

Love it, they definitely have seen some use. :) What's the deeper hole in the divot on the OD green 5 from?

That quote in your signature is wisdom, did you write that?

9. Bozho

Bozho Member

Welcome aboard!
    The 5 is something that I'm also looking at, for processing wood during winter hikes. The extra toughness would be nice for sub zero temperatures for sure.

With 3, 4 and a 5 you have quite good tools. Now it's time for something bigger :D I have the Junglas 2 and it is awesome for a larger outdoors knife, for lighter chopping tasks.
    An Izzy 2 might also be great for you, and a 6, and some HMs. It is a disease and you need to have them all :D

10. The General

The General Member

That makes sense, less open surface area for moisture. Hows the bk2 vs the 5?

11. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

That's just Wax that is squished out from yesterdays Fire.

Quote is from this Book,

[​IMG]

Strigidae and The General like this.
  12. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

I think this is a little better than L. Gonzales's Book.

[​IMG]

Neither are about Skills, more of a mental attitude about Survival.

The General likes this.
  13. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

The LS seems like it’s the second least liked knife in the main line of Esee’s, with the CM6 seeming to be least loved. It’s not the prettiest knife but it’s been more than functional.

The General likes this.
  14. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Welcome to the forum! If you can't find the answer or help in here then you're not looking hard enough lol. It's a great forum with a ton of great people.

The General likes this.
  15. The General

The General Member

@Not Sure , well now I know why you did what you did with the ESEE 5 molle backer... Just got mine and I didn't realize it folds by design. I actually just removed the top half and it sits like my 3 and 4 on my leg now. :)

Not Sure likes this.
  16. Bozho

Bozho Member

For me the LS was an amazing blade, but a strange handle design. I am sure that the TKC scales make it feel a lot better.

17. The General

The General Member

Well look what just came in. :)

ESEE 5.jpg

ESEE 3 & 5 Sheathed.jpg

ESEE 3 & 5.jpg

Still waiting on the pouch, had to remove the top half of the ESEE 5 molle backer due to the folding part as Not Sure mentioned. I was surprised it didn't weight as much in the hand as I thought.

Bluelew, Bozho, Bustedaw11 and 4 others like this.
  18. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

They really do transform it, the stock scales can be nice with a lot of file work.

The General and Bozho like this.
  19. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

Not nearly as nice as the 5. The steel is almost rough cut on the spine and such. The thick powder coat hides that but once it starts wearing down you can see a lot less went into finishing work on it. I also believe the bk2 1095 chips a lot easier then esee steel does. For the price though they are a lot cheaper and get the same jobs done. My bk2 was a gift from wifey (as was my bk9) so it's special to me either way.

20. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

Congrats on the new knife btw, looks good