Dumbass n00b with a steel choice question for the ESEE guys.

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by 19-3ben, Feb 11, 2021.

1. 19-3ben

19-3ben Member

Hey guys. Total n00b to the ESEE forum, but not to knives. Been a knife junkie for years.

Anyway, a question has nagged at me ever since the introduction of the ESEE3 and ESEE 4 S35vn models. The steel choice doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, so I'm curious as to the reasoning behind it.

ESEE knives are known for being tough as hell, which all of mine have proven to be, beyond question. So why, when introduction stainless, would you go with S35vn, when in my mind the logical choice was either AEB-L or it's fancy baby brother Nitro-V. Both are known for excellent corrosion resistance but also for being crazy tough. So, I get that you'd sacrifice a bit of edge retention vs. the s35vn, but considering that ESEE has a reputation for toughness, it would seem that would be the priority, and Nitro-V is certainly no slouch in edge retention while being probably as tough as 1095. You'd not have the video of the ESEE guys breaking one of their own knives...

I have no doubt that the experience of Mike and Jeff and all the guys behind it at ESEE is greater than mine, and I assume that I am wrong. I know enough to know what I don't know, and what I don't know is WHY I'm wrong.

So I guess the question is why pick S35vn vs. AEB-L/NitroV? What was the thought process behind the steel selection? I'd love just a little insight on it and to find out just how much I don't know!

2. erik

erik Member

Probably because S35VN is an american made steel and AEB-L is not.

DirtySouth and 19-3ben like this.
  3. 19-3ben

19-3ben Member

See? Told you I'm a dumbass noob! It looks like AEB-L is from Uddeholm. For some reason I had it in my head that it was 'Murican.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and erik like this.
  4. erik

erik Member

No worries. You're not the first to ask that question. :p

The Marsh Gorilla and 19-3ben like this.
  5. 19-3ben

19-3ben Member

And if you're real lucky, another dumbass will be long shortly to ask it again!

Emac, The Marsh Gorilla and erik like this.