Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. IW17

IW17 Member

Gun prices around me haven't been crazy. A bit above normal but deals are still out there. Ammo on the other hand...

Zeek likes this.
  2. ASH

ASH Member

There's nothing to buy around here but 1 box of 28 gauge shells. I did install the new arch angel stock that I got a couple days ago on a old M44 Mosin this afternoon. The dang stock cost more than the rifle did, but the reviews say it makes it much more enjoyable to shoot.

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

At the shops today, could have bought all the Win 9mm in bulk I wanted for @.50cents a round Aussie. They were well stocked on all calibres in loaded ammunition, lots of brass, primers of all makes and sizes. Projectiles were a bit light on for what I am use to seeing though.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Locally the primary source for ammo is the W-mart

The problem is that most the W-marts have stopped selling guns. = They don’t sell ammo.

Those that still sell guns only sell hunting rifle ammo.

IMO, because of this people think that ammo is “drying up”. And start to panic buy the ammo.

Hence almost no ammo to buy locally..

5. ASH

ASH Member

It's not just a local problem though. Anything online that is not marked up 400% is sold out as well. Importation bans also have a lot to do with it, just look what it did to the price of ak's. There are talks now of banning all importation of ammo and nearly all high end competition type ammo comes from Europe. Add in the effects of china virus on the production of components and also the effects on our factories. They can't just up the output like they have in the past.

It's really hurting the new shooters, I have a guy at work that wants to buy his first pistol but when I find him something reasonably priced he thinks on it too long and they sell out. It also doesn't help that he doesn't want a 9mm, because he thinks the ammo is harder to find. This guy analyses things to death and I don't blame him, but that just doesn't work well in today's market. He wants to find the perfect gun and right now he's thinking that it needs to be a .45. He just isn't knowledgeable and experienced enough to know what is really best for him and he doesn't want to buy a less than perfect pistol to learn on and figure out what he really likes. He thought he wanted a 1911 until I explained that they are all metal and only hold 7 or 8 rounds. I also tried to explain that being all metal wasn't a bad thing with a heavy round like a .45, but he thinks it would be too heavy even though he's a 260 pound man that can tote a extra pound of steel.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    RocketmanDane and IW17 like this.
  6. TerryD

TerryD Member

Not @anrkst6973 quality food but doing a hot and fast on some pork ribs with the Vortex.

20210130_184047.jpg

Bluelew, Strigidae, JV3 and 4 others like this.
  7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Looks dang tasty to me! :)

JV3, C99c and TerryD like this.
  8. TerryD

TerryD Member

They turned out pretty good! Next time I'll hold off on the sauce a little longer.

9. C99c

C99c Member

10. ASH

ASH Member

So, I was looking for fleece lined leggings for the gf and I came across these "scrunch butt" leggings. The reviews indicate that women love them, I guess they mold their flabby butts into a more flattering shape. They look awful to me, some of them look like a huge bung hole from the outside, the rest just look like their butts are trying to eat their pants.

DiscoveryLover likes this.
  11. IW17

IW17 Member

You should be more upset that apparently they make these for men:eek::confused:

Zeek likes this.
  12. ASH

ASH Member

I thought it was bad enough when I saw reviews by men including pictures in the women's section. There was even a question by someone claiming to be a straight male like 6'4", I think it said, asking if they would cover his ankles.

13. ASH

ASH Member

On a brighter note, I have invited my coworker to come over one day next week to shoot my pistols. That way I can demonstrate the differences between them to help him figure out what features he likes.

RocketmanDane and TerryD like this.
  14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I have been hearing from family across the country that their is not only ammo but a Pistol shortage.
    When I went to Academy today thou of the normal probably 40 pistols they carry there was at-least 15 available. Oddly not the “oddball” pistols that you normally see left over. They actually had a ok selection of XD’s and Glocks in that 15ish.

My go to recommendations for new gun owners is normally a Mid size Glock a XD or a S&W style snub nose revolver.

My go to favorite thou for anyone is a .22 pistol. I have been able to shot non stop through ammo shortages with a Ruger Mark 3. At $300-$500 depending on features that’s easy to pay for in larger caliber ammo costs IMO.

Bluelew and ASH like this.
  15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

My “Gun show” trip ended up being ok. IMO they should have called it the “Ammo show “ thou.
    I would say that at least 50% of the tables carried primarily ammo which was INSANELY priced..
    20% carried Firearm accessories.
    20 % carried firearms
    10% “other” type tables.

I managed to find a couple items I was looking for at a “OK” price. Def paid the “gun show tax” a little thou.

1 item in particular on the used market I think is going to be a Dimond in the rough type find. A whole lot of cleaning and elbow grease and I’ll have a awesome new toy :)

The most interesting find thou at a survival supplies type table thou.

[​IMG]

Drew RedBear, Strigidae and TerryD like this.
  16. ASH

ASH Member

He thinks that he really wants a XD, I have one he can try if he comes. He originally said he wanted a Glock, but I told him I really didn't suggest it for his first carry piece. I don't want him to shoot himself in the leg.

17. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I got a message back from the manufacturer and looks like my new to me toy was built in 1988.(According to a few internet searches the 80’s were apparently good years for production)
    I Have gone through it 2x now and am still finding places to clean.
    I think I am going to dig out a hand polisher and go over all the internals next.(Once I stop finding places to clean)

18. ASH

ASH Member

I had to put down a fox this morning. I didn't want to, but it's been after my chickens. My girlfriend wants to get it stuffed.

TerryD and DiscoveryLover like this.
  19. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

There is ZERO useful ammo available locally. Has been for months.. And waiting lists at stores are long..

I’ve long tried to stay out of the Ammo trading and private ammo sale scene. People esp now are paying crazy prices for ammo and people think their ammo is worth $$$$$$.

I finally reached the point with a couple calibers that I had to try and wheel and deal.

Long story short I am sure the other guy will make some good money off what I traded him. And I am sure he thought he was pulling a fast one on me.

Little did he know I got exactly what I wanted and need. I made out better then I would have last weekend at the gun show. And honestly it would probably have been years until I needed to dip into that ammo anyway. And what I got I’ll be using now.

Overall a win for me today. :)

For context. This guy brought a scale to weigh the bulk ammo. Then tried to tell me how much I was apparently “short” on my bulk packs. Of which I told him he was free to open the seal and count them. But if he did then he had to take them in trade. This guy was talking ounces per round and which weighed more or less depending on bullet type...

It Just makes my brain hurt.. 2021 off to a interesting start...

Skip808, ASH and Drew RedBear like this.
  20. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Well.... I'm gonna be a grandpa again.

Skip808, TerryD and RocketmanDane like this.