Looking to buy 3D handles for old ESEE4 in Germany

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Peter Kozlowski, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Peter Kozlowski

Peter Kozlowski Member

Hi,

Day before yesterday my ESEE4 did me a huge favor. My gf fell down a hill on a hiking trip and broke her leg. The knife helped me cut down a small tree for a walking aid, a couple of branches to stabilize the leg and then we got down the hill, little by little, until we found some help and could call in a helicopter for evacuation.

But I tore my hands in the process. The normal handles just don't fit my paws.

Is there a way to upgrade the existing ESEE4 to 3D handles? And if so, how do I order them? (I could not find 3D handles in the list of replacement handles on the main site store. And I could not find any approved distributor in Germany with any replacement handles on their website.)

After my recent experience I am going to be carrying this knife forever but I would really like to replace the handles.

Thanks
    Peter

KnOeFz and DiscoveryLover like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

As far as i know, there is no replacement sales at this time.

If you need it quick you could look at “the knife connection”s website for aftermarket scales.

Im fairly positive ESEE will sell a stand alone scale set at some point but not at this time.

Glad the both of you are safe and sound. Welcome to the forum.

Peter Kozlowski likes this.
  3. Peter Kozlowski

Peter Kozlowski Member

I checked out "The knife connection" and ordered new handles but the shipping costs are insane. I ordered 2 handles and they charged 52 dollars for mailing with DHL. I checked the DHL price list and sending something of that size to the US (prices should be near identical in both directions) is less than 20 dollars. I ordered a book of comparable size (I mean comparable to 2 sets of handles) from Amazon 3 months ago and they charged me less than 10 dollars for shipping (as companies usually buy the fees in bulk and get better prices).

I paid them but I think it's sad that the only real source for this type of stuff is a storefront that will overcharge people 3 to 1 on shipping.

EDIT: I have to apologize for what I wrote. I just talked to a friend and he pointed out that I had checked prices for "Päckchen" instead of "Paket". I thought this was a reference to size but it is a reference to a specific type of shipment. Shipping an insured package costs what the people at "The knife connection" are charging. So I need to apologize. I misrepresented them unintentionally and I am sorry for doing so.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Strigidae and KnOeFz like this.
  4. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

Buying in the US has its downside for us europeans. Especially if you get a import tax bill attached to you pachage that also charges tax over the shipping cost....
    Been there... Done that..

Positive thing.... you'll forget all of it it quickly next time you bring your Esee to the outdoors

Peter Kozlowski and Strigidae like this.
  5. Strigidae

The other option is making them yourself. Drill press, files and some micarta.

KnOeFz and Peter Kozlowski like this.
  6. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

And some skills, talent or lots of luck :p

7. Strigidae

Maybe.

Peter Kozlowski and KnOeFz like this.
  8. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Maybe find a knife maker in your area and have them make contoured handles for you? It’ll make it unique and might cost the same or less

or

muse sandpaper and contour the handles

9. Peter Kozlowski

Peter Kozlowski Member

Getting the tools and materials would probably cost more than just buying them and produce worse results. The question would be how many tries I would need to get it right and how much material I would waste in the process.

I am definitely tempted to make a handle at some point (I once got a one-day blacksmithing course for a birthday and made a blade and then spend the next two week finishing the knife with handles and a sheath. I never used it because I did not trust the blade to survive real use and just kept it as a souvenir but I did enjoy the process). But I would probably rather go with some nice wood and make a leather sheath afterwards...basically turn an ESEE into something that looks less tactical to take with me when I go camping with the family.
    Sanding down the handle will not work for me. My problem is that the handle is already to skinny for my hands. The skin on my palms folds up when I grip it. Nothing short of complete replacement would really solve my problems.

Caleb O and Bushcraft_Dave like this.
  10. Gunn

Gunn Member

Balsa wood mock-ups? Easy to sand, might lead to something.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  11. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

If you’re looking for custom made handle scales in Europe I’d hit up The Leading Edge Knife Works (out of the UK). He made me a set of g10 scales for the PR4 with a little more girth to them which are great. He does everything from sharpening, scales, to friction folders. If you’re looking to add some real estate to the esee 4 handles (and pay better shipping for your area) I’d give him a shout.

he does business off Facebook and Instagram. Not sure if he has a site yet.

12. Crag the Brewer

Crag the Brewer Member

Another option, if you are wanting a larger palm swell is to make fillers/liners under the stock scales.
    I added brass shims to a Becker BK-62 once to increase the handle thickness and it made a World of difference.
    if your are concerned about weight, you could use G10. I defiantly plan on doing it more to other knives.

13. Peter Kozlowski

Peter Kozlowski Member

I decided to buy the extended length scales from TKC and they make a world of difference. They are a bit thicker than the standard ones (although I would prefer to have them even thicker and I might add a liner like Crag suggested) but the length is perfect. They are also a little bit heavier and paradoxically that makes the knife feel lighter because it changes the balance point.

The knife is a lot closer to my idea of "perfect" than it was before.

Crag the Brewer and KnOeFz like this.