The new Ford Broncos

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by C99c, Jul 14, 2020.

1. C99c

C99c Member

Thoughts on the new Broncos now that they have officially been introduced?

Hopefully they'll pull enough market share to have other brands get interested in building similar platforms. The more the better.

RickLB likes this.
  2. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I like them.

Wife doesn’t.

Moot point, as we can’t buy one anyway, but never hurts to dream.

If I could afford it I would rather have an early 90s model anyway.

C99c likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I like the looks. Reminds me of an FJ. It will be fun to see them start to appear out on the trails.

C99c likes this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

I'm the same way. I like simple and would rather spend $20K on a 30 yr old vehicle than be given most of the new stuff. Our 4th Gen 4runner was in the shop a while back and the dealer gave us a 2020 4runner as a loaner for a few weeks. It was ok, and if I were forced to buy a new car it would likely be a 4runner, but the biggest takeaway from it was how much more it made me like and appreciate our 3rd and 4th Gens.

You know someone at Toyota is kicking themselves for the FJ Cruiser, or it's expected replacement, not looking more like the Bronco does (and I like the FJ Cruisers). I know that they aren't hurting for profit, but had they released an FJ with similar features a decade ago they may have very well buried Jeep.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

Also, any manufacturer that debuts a new vehicle with a manual transmission option automatically gets bonus points from me.

6. C99c

C99c Member

Watching some YouTube video's of the Bronco with the wife and am increasingly impressed with some of the details.
    The little tie down things on either side of the hood will be great for strapping down boats or for attaching limb risers for those mall parking lots that having overhanging foliage.

The sealed switches and easy access drain holes are great.

Jeff Randall likes this.
  7. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

The new bronco looks sort of feminine to me. Sort of like the new Defender.

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

........bad....but not quite as bad as what they have titled a "Defender" !!

Strigidae, C99c and Jeff Randall like this.
  9. Jeff Randall

Agreed. It's just too smooth and pretty for my tastes. But then again I love old squared up FJ40s

Strigidae and timdgsr like this.
  10. Jeff Randall

The Grenadier has my eye

R Stowe and Strigidae like this.
  11. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

This is exactly the problem. Same thing Toyota did with the FJ cruiser, which is notoriously a girls car.

Jeff Randall likes this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

....... yes, they will sell them here. I am no fan of the auto gearbox but I think manual shifts have maybe a generation or so to go.

Strigidae likes this.
  13. Jeff Randall

I just like the fact it's a no-frills off road vehicle. Not sure why more auto makers don't do something like this. Must not be too much of a market.

Strigidae likes this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

...... outside of the US the Toyota 70 Series Landcruisers have that element of the market somewhat cornered. Middle East/Africa/Here are the biggest markets for these are they are the majority choice of mining, mineral exploration, NGOs and farming. They have been making this series since @1985 or so and it was always designed to cater to that market. They left the Landys for dead in the reliability stakes and just keep on selling. The Grenadier will appeal to the "overlanding" market who want something that splits between the "blank canvass" a 70 Series is and the more "luxury" appointed versions.

Jeff Randall and Strigidae like this.
  15. TerryD

TerryD Member

I'm digging the Bronco's factory 35" tires and mid range package avaliable with dual lockers.

Not crazy about the $40k+ price point for "mid range" but I guess that's what vehicles cost now...

I gave $4k for my pickup and $5k for my Xterra. I'm a poor judge of prices these days...

16. SteveG

SteveG Member

Not a bad start at all. I like the four-door. I’m thinking with a little Baja treatment, it might make a great sidekick to our current Baja service truck ,Wilson.
    FEE9BCCA-BBE7-47F7-82CE-100B4D176F29.jpeg

17. TerryD

TerryD Member

There's not. The number of us that would be happy with manual window, AM/FM, 4x4 with vinyl interior and at least one locker is minimal.

Most of the Pro4X Xterras (off-road package with locker but really nicely optioned) in my area are driven by mid-40s women. And they are plenty capable and were much more affordable than the Jeep but didn't sell as well and didn't appeal to us for some reason, so they stopped making them and doubled down on the Rogue...

18. Jeff Randall

I understand that. Companies have to go where their market is. Almost all Range Rovers I see on the road are driven by well-dressed, blonde haired women that can obviously afford to pay the repair bills.

BobbyRatTail, TerryD and Strigidae like this.
  19. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I watched the release and then read some accounts of the official premier in New York. I have to say, as a die hard Yota fan, that I think Ford has hit the nail on the head. The styling is throwback without looking dated, it roles off the show room floor with plenty of capability, and the range of $29k-$54k means there's a lot of options. I'm digging the steel wheels on the base, mostly just because I'm happy to see they offer them. I'm pretty firmly against any new platform the first year or so, but I'll consider one. If they put out an Eco Diesel I would be ecstatic. The prototype in grey with the white top is best looking in my opinion, and I hope the white top is an option they offer. Also, this thread needs a photo.

IMG_4359-768x576.jpg

That's my buddy's dad. He attended the reveal. HERE are his thoughts. I trust Jim. He's owned a 4x4 shop for longer than I've been alive.

That guy is doing it because he can, and I mean that in the best way. I don't know how many they'll get out on the road, but they'll be BA for sure.

I think the Sasquatch package can go on any of them, but don't quote on that. Sadly these days 40k is mid range. A buddy dropped right at 60k on a Gladiator, and it's cool and all, but not 60k cool to me.

Datilite and TerryD like this.
  20. ASH

ASH Member

At least they didn't turn it into a car like the new Blazer.

C99c, SteveG, OKcherokee and 2 others like this.