Coronavirus Concerns

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Delkancott, Jan 30, 2020.

1. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

She’s having some stones removed here quickly, and tomorrow will have her gall bladder removed.

They moved us to a larger hospital for the endoscopy. It was like going through airport security to get inside. Temperature taken, questions asked, ID given, name entered into the computer, have to wear a name tag.
    Everything except the body scan.

This will be the new normal for a while I’m afraid.

2. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Hope everything goes well for her.

Yes I believe that there are going to be quite a few changes for the next 6 months to a year...

I heard on the radio that the they extended the Canada and Mexico boarder closures until at least July 21st.

3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

It’s interesting how from 1 county to another the virus can be so much worse or not. My parents live in a rather low case county and the connected county not more then 10 miles away is slammed...

Big difference IMO it truly social distancing. People never really filled up any area of business before. business was ok because while not full. Businesses is steady all day.
    People have not really changed their habits just steady through out the Whole day as normal.

The other county packs them in during reduced hours and cases are through the roof..

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  4. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Saw this article while reading the news this morning...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...not-be-a-4000-explore-america-tax-credit/amp/

They are throwing around the idea of a $4,000 tax credit for people who go on vacations or business travel during 2020 or 2021. Not sure if it will get passed but an interesting idea to simulate the economy after the pandemic... Hopefully there will be a vaccine or something first so that it doesn't just contribute to the spread if passed...

5. Frigin

Frigin Member

Well I’m going to VA beach in August. So that sounds good. And no way in heck any vaccine is touching me or my family.

FAL'ER likes this.
  6. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

I'm wondering if there is a vaccine I don't know about???

Every public place I go only about 20% of people are actually wearing masks the way they are suppose to
    be.

Its sad to realize that my fellow Americans just don't give a ****.

I find it disrespectful and irritating, I also think the news is a joke saying all the progress we have made is
    going down the drain due to this second wave.

What progress, there would not be this huge second wave if everyone would just put on a mask....

JV3, BobbyRatTail and Adventurer like this.
  7. C99c

C99c Member

Nevermind.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  8. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I agree.
    And it does not surprise me.

If you have dealt with workplace safety at all, it is mostly a joke to many people also.

I mean, they are trying to help you keep your eyes and fingers, why can’t you just wear glasses and gloves?
    People are just downright defiant.
    We’ve had two employees die in three years using the same piece of machinery, yet people still fight putting on the seatbelt or using the wheel chocks.

JV3 and BobbyRatTail like this.
  9. ccwaters

ccwaters Member

You should have left your initial response stand, I think it was appropriate.

First I'll start out with I'm not a denier, it is a real thing. That out of the way.

Numbers have been cooked, financial incentives for positive results, death, diagnostics, were put in place. Intentional/negligent placement of positive individuals into high risk populations. Questionable origins with power/big money backers. Faulty data with erroneous non-peer reviewed coding which when revised multiple time still does not match reality. Media fear mongering, faked/edited videos/news to purposely incur maximum fear. These are all facts available to anyone who cares to observe.

My little community of Ely MN (population 3306) cruised through this with very little difference from many years I've been here. My BIL works locally in elderly care, they thus far have successfully put into place measures to protect those under care. Other then some crazy prices for some food items, and an initial rush on TP, local businesses effected by government guidance everything has remained relatively normal.

We are now well into the towns life blood tourist season, people from all over have flooded into our little community which is used as a gateway into the BWCA. I would guess maybe 10% of the population and visitors use PPE.

The highest traffic businesses are two little grocery stores and a Dollar General. the employees at the DG uses no PPE, Grocer employees wear masks, but they may as well not.

Sitting and observing employees and individuals who choose to wear masks is comical at best. This because the masks are seldom used properly, nose fully exposed, loose fitting, inadequate, I could go on.

This entire time we've had two confirmed cases, one was a cruise ship attendee, one of unknown origins who worked at the local Dairy Queen until they became ill which caused a shutdown of the DQ for a week. No other cases, even among the DQ co-workers.

I guess I'm one of those 60 yo "disrespectful irritating people" mentioned. Now IF I were to get sick. whether it be COVID-19, or one of the MANY other Corona Viruses like the common cold I would do my best to not pass it on to anyone else. In 50 years I've had a common cold maybe 5 times, and H1N1 which was quite nasty.

My prediction, this will all go away, or get much worse, depending on the outcome of our upcoming elections.

I'll now get my Nomex underwear ready, independent critical thinking is your friend!

FAL'ER likes this.
  10. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

At the end of this year I'd like to know total deaths in the United States in 2020 from all causes (old age, falling off a cliff, heart attack, vehicle accident, disease, etc.) and compare that to total deaths in the USA last year. We all have differing opinions on what's happening here. Let's just keep the discussion civil and try not to get too passionate about our assumptions.

timdgsr, BobbyRatTail and Strigidae like this.
  11. ccwaters

ccwaters Member

From what I've read annual deaths from all causes are currently on track to be well below statistical averages. Which I've been watching closely, and I think will be quite interesting, especially when it is broken down.

12. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

For Wisconsin the state says we had 25,763 people test positive and 757 deaths. Of the deaths 536 of the people were age 70 or older and 661 people were age 60 or older. I would assume a decent portion of the younger people who died had underlying health issues but don't know for sure....

13. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I’ve heard that lots of accidental deaths are already down due to people not being out as much.

Many hospitals were hurting in March and laying off people because they cancelled all elective procedures in anticipation of a virus surge that never happened.

As for the other comment about “cooking” numbers, I’ve heard of them being purposefully manipulated, but in the opposite direction.

I know personally a doctor that early on had patients with symptoms and was instructed by hospital administration to NOT test them. Another doctor went ahead and was reprimanded for it.
    At another hospital in town, an administrator told me that while the total number of deaths statewide at the time was only 5, they had already seen 30 deaths due to Covid.
    Again, instruction was to cover it up.

Now, I’m sure it has gone the other way just as much.

In March and April I knew of nobody that had it.

Currently as they say it is increasing, I now know 3 people that are quarantined and waiting test results, as they were in contact with people that are confirmed to have it.

Hospitals themselves here are now reporting an increase in cases showing up at the ER.

JV3 and BobbyRatTail like this.
  14. Jeff Randall

The more cases they find out about, the lower the death rate will be.

15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Masks have not been compulsory at all here...... the evidence FOR them is pretty weak. So far our C19 numbers are pretty good despite a poor start. Living on an island helps !

16. ASH

ASH Member

Andy, you are lucky you are an Austrian. Those other Aussies are facing limits on the amount of tp they can buy.

17. Jeff Randall

But Aussies don’t need toilet paper

ASH likes this.
  18. JV3

JV3 Member

while the rest of the country spikes, nyc area is now moving on to indoor dining and stuff by first week of july.

as far as the numbers being manipulated either for increasing or decreasing i don't know since i don't follow it that closely...what i do know is my sister and mom are both nurses in the local area and they both have seen the scary rate of people getting sick and it's now winding down they say.

my mom caught the virus about two months ago and has since recovered and back to work. i also have friends of friends who've passed away from it and they're young and healthy too (30's and no known preconditions)...so i know this virus is real and the effects can be devastating.

as far as the mortality rate is concerned the more people get infected the mortality rate will go down for sure...but we're on pace for a staggering number of dead...~100k+ dead is not a small number in my book for something that can be easily prevented.

masks...there's a reason why doctors and nurses wear them especially during a patient's surgery. no one questioned their usefulness before so why now? i'm sure it's not to prevent them from smelling a stinky patient..it's to protect the patient. people carry multiple knives, multiple firestarters, and practice a gazillion ways to build a shelter in the miniscule chance of them getting stuck in the woods and needing to survive...and yet some people won't wear a mask for the miniscule (i believe it's more effective than that) chance that it does prevent the spread of the virus?

what it comes down to is people being selfish. i'll deal with the slight discomfort if it means there's a small chance it'll save someone's life or prevent someone from losing their job from a business getting closed again.

chorpie, Flex, Delkancott and 4 others like this.
  19. ASH

ASH Member

It depends on exposure, I'm in close contact with the same 10 or so people every day. We have only had 443 confirmed cases in my county. I may briefly come in close contact with another 6 or so people from the community on days I go shopping or eat out. A mask would be pretty worthless in my case. If I have a cough, I'll just stay home.

JV3 likes this.
  20. JV3

JV3 Member

that's good that you'll stay home if you're coughing. there are people who don't display all the symptoms though...even at it's peak illness my mom rarely coughed but she was definitely bed-ridden sick.

some people just don't care though even if they're coughing...even before this virus just think about how many people go to the bathroom, poop, then walk straight out of there without washing their hands. i was at popeye's yesterday to pickup an order and there was this lady without a mask talking loudly on her phone on speaker...i guarantee she was spraying saliva all over the place.

regardless of what people's beliefs are i think if 99% of us wore a mask for the whole month of march right off the bat this would be gone already.

BobbyRatTail, skx013 and OKcherokee like this.