Vehicle choice and setup..

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Andy the Aussie, May 23, 2020.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....Paul Marsh is an iconic character in Africa and this short vid has a lot of great philosophy around setting up vehicle and considerations around how failures occur.

Sadly you guys don't get the 70 Series trucks in the US (and we here don't get them with the 1Hz diesel - it's a slug on the road but very very forgiving !!!!!!!)

Strigidae, Datilite and C99c like this.
  2. C99c

C99c Member

There are some of those trucks in the US, but mostly they are here with special permissions and/or for a limited time and purpose.

Every six months or so I run up on an Internet post where someone sees a car hauler full of them and gets super excited. Usually those loads are headed to Virginia or similar destinations for government purposes (training).

There was a rumor several years ago of a company out west that was attempting to import some so they could retrofit them for the US market. No idea if that ever happened.

Also, there have been some that have been brought in and driven for a short while, usually on Florida plates. They usually disappear fairly quickly. My guess is they are confiscated when someone notices.

They are very cool.

3. C99c

C99c Member

I noticed he mentioned that even in South Africa they don't get the "flat tray" flat bed models like you do in Australia @Andy the Aussie. Any idea why?

It seems like that would be a popular option world wide.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. Andy the Aussie

I think it is twofold, those tub backs are made in the Toyota plants in the Middle East and it is just easier to fit them up. ALL the 70 Series arrive here as a cab chassis and the trays are made locally (cheaper to ship them here that way and the tray is all people want (I am the exception....I want a bucket back !!!).

You can get a permit to register one of these in the US but it is a limited 365 day registration. The Patriot Campers guys here in OZ just had one of the 79 series customs in the US attending all the big shows and such. You can only do the one registration for that period and it has to exported back out and in again to register it again as I under stand it and they cannot be for back to back periods.

C99c likes this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

...another good one !

9.55 to 9.58 is my favourite quote !!!!

Willow and Datilite like this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Strigidae and TerryD like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

In New Zealand...