Nissan xterra thoughts?

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Backwoods Runner, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Well I am up for a new vehicle, just took a new job with a pay cut (good for long term career goals). So I'm not looking to spend to much. There is a 07 4x4 xterra with 154000 miles on it for $6900, I'll get around 500 for my current vehicle on a trade in, if I can talk them down to around 5500 I may go for it. I know about the tranny cooler issues and if that hasn't been done on this rig yet I will do the bypass asap. Any experience with higher mileage xterras? From the carfax the previous owners seem to have taken it to a Nissan dealership for nearly everything.

2. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

My wife's got an '09. The air sensor valve stems in the tires are junk, seams like she ends up with a flat tire every few months because they start leaking. Other than that, no major issues.

Backwoods Runner likes this.
  3. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Cool, been looking at them for a while and the conclusion seems to be if you can get over the gas milage and take care of them they will run forever. Going to look at a 2011 with just over a 100k today.

TerryD and Jeremiah Jones like this.
  4. TerryD

TerryD Member

How'd this work out?

5. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Awesome, I think I was talking to you in another thread about the squishy rear suspension and dealing with that. Other than that the little truck has been awesome. Put 13k on it since November (twice across the country) and couldn't be happier.

The Marsh Gorilla and TerryD like this.
  6. TerryD

TerryD Member

That was me! I didn't make that connection sorry.

I love my 07. Looking forward to having it back mobile soon.

7. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Yeah I can imagine, what have you done to mitigate the SMOD issues with it being a pre 09 or what ever year they supposedly fixed those issues? Bypass or new radiator? I know it hasn't been documented in the newer trucks but I definitely monitor my coolant and tranny fluid much closer than I would on other vehicles.

8. TerryD

TerryD Member

Funny you should mention that, it had SMOD when I bought it. A buddy in Richmond picked it up for a song and had the transmission redone. I happened to be in the market for another smallish 4x4 to knock around in and he made me a price I couldn't say no to.

He had it bypassed but I had the radiator replaced when the timing chain tensioners needed replacing and they hooked the cooler back up. I've had it about 50k miles and 3 years and I'm extremely happy with it though.

It's got about 190k miles on it at the moment and I'm nearing the end of swapping in some 3.69 geared 2011 Pro4X differentials but the rear had a bent shaft so I'm waiting on those parts to arrive. Supposedly be here Friday but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

received_202782740954304.jpeg

9. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Nice! I have definitely seen some damn good deals on these and frontiers with smod. There is actually an Xterra on a car hauler one block over in front of a shade tree mechanics shop that appears to be an earlier second gen (4 spoke wheels) that I keep hoping to see the owners outside and ask what the deal is, I'd love a second one to mess with even if it has SMOD. If it was cheap enough I'd bypass and flush the tranny a few times and see if I could bring it back, if not get the tranny swapped and drive the crap out it. In my mind if the rest of the truck is solid, well maintained, and the price is right I'd have no problem buying one with smod and getting the tranny swapped.l

I love people telling me that it's a mini van, then I tell them its a body on frame solid axle rear leaf spring suspension truck with a true hi/low 4x4 system that is a little beast off road even in stock form.

TerryD likes this.
  10. TerryD

TerryD Member

The 4 spokes mean it's probably an SE which has all the fancy stuff!

11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Oh wow a Nissan........ :D almost as quaint as a Jeep .... ;) :D

12. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Haha, not all of us feel the need to follow the crowd;)

Strigidae likes this.
  13. TerryD

TerryD Member

I personally can't afford to drive a Toyota. I bought my 2007 Xterra for what 90s 4runners with 300k miles sell for..... and I didn't have to put head gaskets on it.....

Backwoods Runner and Strigidae like this.