Coronavirus Concerns

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Delkancott, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

I salute you sir! We will need more of this attitude in the days, weeks and months to come. Great to see the good coming out in times where selfishness could prevail.

2. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

Amen.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Man, honestly I couldn’t tell you how many hours I have saved. It used to hover around 240 until they made us start using it.

I’ll bet I’m close to 200 hours.
    I won’t miss 40 hours at all.

4. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

I wish I had some of mine back, but having a baby with some complications set me back on a bunch of PTO. Anyway, your generosity will hopefully go a long way to someone in need! Cheers to that!

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  5. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I hear you, I used a bunch of mine with our first one.
    Hang tough!

6. Frigin

Frigin Member

Good for you for helping out fellow co workers.
    In MA governor baker just announced no more daycare

Strigidae likes this.
  7. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

8. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Hhmmm...
    This might last beyond my five gallon bucket of rice and extra case of charmin.

9. C99c

C99c Member

A lot of folks with experience in these types of things are saying that we night not see the peak of the outbreak in the US until late summer. The downhill end could easily stretch well into the next flu season which has the likelihood of bing catastrophic due to an already sick and weakened population.

It's going to be interesting as China gets rolling again fully to see if there is is a high rate of re-infection.

We've not done a garden in the last few years but absolutely will be this year. Every little bit helps the longer this drags on and the worse the panic gets.

10. Jeff Randall

The key (absent a vaccine) seems to be timing the isolation phase compared to non-isolation phases. If you isolate too long then natural herd immunity is reduced and infection rates can peak again later at the same rate as the first go-round. Looks like the initial round is going to be at least 5 months from what I'm reading.

11. C99c

C99c Member

True. I just hope that we don't have any other major disasters, natural or otherwise, this year. A terrorist attack or bad hurricane season stacked on top of this would be a nightmare.

12. Jeff Randall

Wife and I were just talking about this last night. Volunteers and non-volunteers are still working when it comes to disasters and emergency services and I assume will continue to do so, but it does put a strain on a lot of things due to what's taking place with this virus. Interesting times indeed.

13. ASH

ASH Member

The timing is what I have been thinking about. My dad wants me to stay home, my gf was complaining about how exhausting shopping was yesterday and that we didn't need to go to any more stores after yesterday. I told my dad we couldn't hide from this thing forever it's going to get worse before it gets better. We don't know how long it will last. By the time there's a vaccine, there's a chance it won't even be effective anymore. I told my girlfriend we have to keep shopping, if we start depleting our supplies now we won't have any when we really need them. Of course there was no need for her to drive 30 miles away to a empty Publix and picked over Walmart when the local grocery store has anything we need.

14. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I work in federal emergency response (full time wildland firefighting, but we get pulled into nearly any other disaster if there is a need for people familiar with ICS and or chainsaw and tree work) and right now while we are still working, there is some major concern about how any large fires will be dealt with. Large fire camps are pretty unsanitary despite the best efforts of camp management. Due to the fact we travel nationally, if this gets into the national wildland firefighting force it could spread quite quickly and mean some serious changes to how fire is managed and camps are set up. We are all following it closely to say the least.

15. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

First death in the state today.

Happened to be someone we know.
    Mid 50s, no underlying health issues.

16. CWB

CWB Member

wife got notice today that she's off for possibly 8 weeks+ due to her low immune system and they're not scheduling any surgeries at Shrinner's hospital where the works. this sucks ass financially.

Frigin likes this.
  17. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Sorry to hear that. It obviously is worse for folks with complications, but there’s a lot of bad cases out there that don’t really line up with who you think would be at risk.

18. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

my wife was also laid off. Her last day is tomorrow.

19. Frigin

Frigin Member

So we had a lady in hardwick a town over from me today call the cops. She had two guys in full white suits come to her door and tell her they needed to test her for the virus..........now is when it will all start happening. One reason I’m not mad I have no work I’d rather be home to protect my family. Not like the banks going to take my house anytime soon.

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  20. jafo

jafo Member

pennsylvania governor shut down all business state wide that are not considered 'life sustaining'. Lots of industries are still going to continue but service jobs are gone practically overnight. The financial devastation resulting from this is going to be overwhelming.

anecdotally, official guidance for fed workers is to do maximum telework until further notice but informally people are being told to expect to telework for 2 months.

C99c, The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.