Truck gun/Home defense/farm gun

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by RedEyedHog, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Solo

Solo Member

I got the Mohave Green and Red in my local. I have had plenty of run ins with Diamondbacks and I was cool with two sticks. Rarely have they been aggressive and coming at me. A dozen run ins with Reds and they stayed put. The Greens you can’t take any chances with. No know cure. You got maybe two minutes to call your loved one and say goodbye.

Now I venture with the bold dog in the sticks. I not going to take any chances on anything smaller than the 12g semi to protect my best friend.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

CroFab works on the Mojave Green bites from what I have read. They are not doubt highly venomous. That said you will always have more than a couple of minutes, even with a nip from more neurotoxic elapids (the Green is approaching the venomous'ness of many elapids from the reading I did) allows time for management of the hit. Guy was bit by an Inland Taipan just north of here (not a native to the area, being kept as a "pet") and he made it even after pontificating a little about calling an ambulance. Snake Catcher that attended to ID the snake for the medical staff said that even his blood ran a little cold when he saw what it was.

I too care for my pups and snakes are one of my biggest worries....I live in town here and only 30mins ago whacked a Red Belly Black on my front stairs...scared the bejesus out of me as it is cooling off here and they should be all away for winter now !!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  3. Solo

Solo Member

upload_2019-10-12_10-28-48.jpeg

A 12.5” Grendel AR pistol is a great choice.

4. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

I'm guessing you already have plenty of guns to choose from to be the "truck" gun! I know I'm late to the conversation but lets be real. HAHA!

5. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I am the last person to give advice on just having “one gun”. Objectively I would consider my skill level. Handguns are difficult for the majority of people to shoot. Shotguns are extremely effective but have recoil that bothers most if using most loads. .223 rifles have low recoil and with optics are easy to shoot but they have their downside I am not a big fan of the .223 outside of varmint hunting and if I could ever get that empower job the military would convert to 6.5 grendel lo mas pronto posible.
    Long guns are a pain to carry.
    But push come to shove I would recommend a shotgun. A breach loading gun can be made substantially shorter than a pump or auto, which is great for clearing rooms in your house. It will also kill deer and small game effectively. It is also extremely intimidating if that matters.
    Buy what you think you will enjoy.

Strigidae and ASH like this.
  6. ASH

ASH Member

I never paid attention to that until recently. One of my customers had a single shot .410 in a overhead rack in his truck. I thought for sure it was too short to be legal, until I realized how short the receiver was. I was used to seeing really long barrels on breach loaders.

7. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

8. BobbyRatTail

BobbyRatTail Member

Datilite and STPNWLF like this.
  9. Mike Yax

Mike Yax Member

I know I am late to the conversation but I really think ranch style and scout style rifles thrive in home defense and overall use and abuse situations. Something short and compact like M1A Scout or SOCOM, like a Ruger Mini 14 etc. I am only suggesting those because that is all Ive owned, used or own.

For an every day kind of use rifle that you are attaching to off road vehicles and just beating up and taking with you while you are out and about I highly recommend not going the AR route mainly just because friends and family that do always seem to have problems with them. Id rather buy one M1A that will last and still function in bad conditions and just is more accurate, funner to shoot etc than 3 ARs.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

Are your friends and family using factory built AR-15's and factory ammo? I live in Las Vegas, NV. The dust capitol of the US. I take my LMT's and Colt's into the desert all the time and never had a single issue with any of them. I shoot in the ass searing heat of the summer, in the rain, wind and even snow. Never, ever had an issue with any of them.

Lostviking, Solo and Mike Yax like this.
  11. Mike Yax

Mike Yax Member

Tbh no most are built and self modded or cheap, you have a point.

12. Solo

Solo Member

I concur 100%. I train in the Nevada desert also. AR’s and Glocks mostly. Well built quality or decent factory built guns run.

Open top actions like the mini14 I leave at home. The M1a is famous for jamming up when dirt or mud gets in the action. The AR is a sealed or covered bolt and keeps the crud out. Just go watch the In-range mud and sand tests.

The Nevada desert environment also makes me a believer in the 6.5 Grendel. The open range and vistas make IDing a threat at over a thousand yards or even being engaged at that range very possible. In the process of getting that gun all ironed out and a handload tuned and doped now.

It is a magnified optics environment also. Next range trip will be trying to run n gun 50-100 yards at lowest power, which is 3x magnification. Trying to test the viability of a 3x9 RECCE build.

Datilite likes this.