Reptiles and Venomous Creatures: Encounters and Identification

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Sep 8, 2016.

1. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

2. BrianRowe

BrianRowe Member

This is a canebrake rattlesnake(Crotalus Horridus) I found a few years ago while messing around on a airplane patch here in S.C. Canebrakes are by far the most prevalent rattlesnake species here where I live, but thankfully they represent lower envenomation numbers than copperheads. The consequences of a bite from these can be pretty bad.

9DE2DE99-6D87-4A04-993E-85D9AB90AC97.jpeg

CWB, The Marsh Gorilla, Josh and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

One from the news here.....

https://www.news.com.au/national/qu...h/news-story/36033061f425439edbb1274e38a38570

..... that is a freaking big Eastern Brown (for the uninitiated they are suppose to be the second most venomous land snake slithering).... !!! Five feet a bit thicker than a garden hose is much more common.

This is a pic from a couple of years ago....the mother was taking it and didn't realise what it was moving behind her daughter initially....

[​IMG]

CWB, The Marsh Gorilla, Josh and 2 others like this.
  4. Josh

Josh Member

Ok so ya that is wild. I had to look it up. Apparently they are the #1 Venomous snake for Venomous snake bites in Australia.

Joy

5. Andy the Aussie

Yes they are, the Inland Taipan is the most venomous but they reside in the most remote, arid and areas with the least habitation so encounters are rare, only bite I am aware of in recent years was one being held by an idiot in a collection just north of me here. Next come the Eastern Brown then the Coastal Taipan. If you look at the areas inhabited by those two on a map it is clear to see why the Eastern or Common Brown (as it is also known) has more encounters with people. I have had Eastern Browns in my suburban backyard for example.

The Marsh Gorilla, Josh and Strigidae like this.
  6. Josh

Josh Member

I was talking to a guy in India once on the phone. He was from Microsoft support. Really nice guy. We got talking for a while waiting for updates and the such. I asked him if he ever seen a cobra in the wild. He said no and asked If I saw a rattlesnake. I said no. I explained where I was from and while they are around just very rare. He said the same about cobras. He said he would be more afraid of rattlers than cobras.

Australia just seams to take the cake as far as places that want to kill you. 5 of the most deadly venomous snakes, Salt water crocodiles, sharks, giant spiders, deadly jelly fish...

I Definitely want to go there regardless.

7. Andy the Aussie

The Marsh Gorilla, Strigidae and C99c like this.
  8. C99c

C99c Member

9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

10. IW17

IW17 Member

Water snake. Not sure exactly which species, banded I believe, but definitely non venomous.

11. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

12. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Beat me to it.

13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

That’s good to know it wasn’t venomous ! It scared the h@ll our of me when I was trying to squeeze up a creek for some photos. Nothing like looking down and seeing this guy slithering by... Ill knock on wood a little here... I’ve lived in the south a little over 4 years and I have seen maybe 2 other snakes then today’s. Plenty of Gator/ crocky creatures but luckily not many snakes :)

CWB, The Marsh Gorilla and IW17 like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

A couple of nights ago a friend called needing help (over the phone as she is a couple of hours away)....seems her cat had a snake cornered (and a bit injured) at her front door. Asked what it looked like and eliminated the possibility of it being a small python that they get around her. Pretty much knew what it was going to be but didn't want to go there yet.

She was unsure if it was alive as it was laying motionless next to her front door. Said a life check was Step 1. Got my test report back of "F#ck yes it is" .... now she has two young boys a cat and dog, and this is on her step. She is a smart girl (woman) and takes direction well. Instructed her to get a cardboard box and shovel....once she had those I said you put the box between you and the snake (it was a knee high box) and use the edge of the shovel and wait till it is flat and hit as close behind the head as you can and press !!!!

After an agonising few minutes she call back reporting "mission accomplished" and she had killed her first snake.

Eastern Brown.JPG

I didn't tell her what exactly it was till the next day. She had enough excitement for the day.

15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie
    What type of snake?

16. Andy the Aussie

Eastern Brown Snake...also called a Common Brown Snake..... I will leave you to Google that up.

Strigidae likes this.
  17. IW17

IW17 Member

18. Andy the Aussie

..... that about sums it up !!!!

Strigidae and IW17 like this.
  19. Josh

Josh Member

No need to look that name up. I have seen enough Steve Irwin shows to know what the Common Brown Snake is!!!!

20. IW17

IW17 Member