Fly fishing

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Strigidae, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Member

6x size 18 - 10. 18 is the smallest I could handle with my fat fingers lol.
    I would use a set of forceps to hold the fly if for some reason I went smaller then 18.

Strigidae likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Sweet! Thank you!

No kidding! Some of those flies i would need a magnifying glass!!

Mike Smith likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Roll cast for the win. Thank you!

Kevo likes this.
  4. Kevo

Kevo Member

I take it you were able to get back out for some casting?

5. Strigidae

Yes. Challenging river. Fast moving and deep. Had to almost relearn what to do.

Kevo likes this.
  6. Kevo

Kevo Member

That's awesome! We've been getting rained on for a week so I haven't been able to get near the water. Was that on the Tenkara rod?

7. Strigidae

No. A beginner fly rod. Wasnt sure what the conditions would be like and wanted to be able to cast far as well as close.

Kevo likes this.
  8. Kevo

Kevo Member

Definitely nothing wrong with that! I only ask because I've been thinking about picking up one of those to keep in my backpack when day hiking. They're kind of pricey though so I'll be waiting until I can get ahold of a used one.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. Strigidae

They are light and handy. Effective too. Ive heard the tenkara folks are pretty exclusive. Not seen that yet but heard it from a guide.

C99c likes this.
  10. Kevo

Kevo Member

Just like most things, I'm sure there's a few guys that get a little too serious about their hobby tool of choice. Dig enough and I'm sure you'll find someone who exclusively fishes with a sharpened stick and anyone who doesn't is a filthy casual.

11. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

I am super interested in this. I find it fascinating and the next level per se. I usually have great luck with spinning rods, it not boring by any means. But I'd like to be a well rounded angler.

I have a St. Croix 4wt-8 with a Cabelas reel. It was my dads, he passed recently. I don't think I'm ready to take it out for multiple reasons. Im looking to chase trout mostly and then open it up later.

Matter of fact, I am heading up into the mountains east of Santa Fe to fish the Pecos this weekend. Hopefully, I'll get into some browns, I dont mind working for them and I'd rather fish the tough spots where the lazy folks dont venture into. I've set my Cadence spinning rod up and my wifes micro lite with a bubble, bead, swivel and about a 6 foot leader of mf to get use to trying fly's. Going to try some woolly bugger, prince nymphs and midge. Supposedly, nymphs and wb's are still doing well according to Fish and Game.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest. More so for direction. It seems that you can really get out in the weeds on fly fishing--multiple rabbit holes.

C99c and Strigidae like this.
  12. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

That sounds awesome! I've done some backpacking southeast of Santa Fe, up Windsor trail around Stewart Lake. Really beautiful country.

I'm a n00b when it comes to fly fishing. But it is a very Zen-like experience.

C99c, Strigidae and shivermetimbers like this.
  13. BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter Member

Hey guys, im about to go on my annual canoe fishing trips in the boundary waters in canada. I thought about taking a fly rod this year. What do i need to catch smallmouth and pike on a fly rod? I already have a bunch of flies and a rod and reel. Do i need steel leaders? I can kind of cast but i have never been fishing with a fly rod. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Can i cast out of a canoe?

C99c likes this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

Yes, you can cast out of a canoe. I don't know anything about pike fishing though.

BoTheHunter likes this.
  15. Strigidae

Im no expert but when i need info for fly fishing i go the "Mad River Outfitters" you tube page to start. They have tons of videos and i find him entertaining at the least. He could be completely wrong but its where i go.

C99c and BoTheHunter like this.
  16. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Smallmouth are just fun on a fly and in a lot of places they seem to act like they have never seen one. They can be very aggressive on different types of streamers. Pike on the other hand take totally different tackle, 8-10 weight rods big reels with good drags and huge flies. If you are going to outfit for pike you are going to need to make an investment. As far as leaders go most people use wire but we have found that 30# mono works just fine most of the time and we get more strikes it seems

C99c, Strigidae and BoTheHunter like this.
  17. BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter Member

The fly rod i have is an older pfuger that my pappaw used to take to montana fly fishing. Would that work for pike? Were i go the pike are normally only about the size of your arm.

C99c likes this.
  18. Kevo

Kevo Member

Love catching smallies on the fly! I like streamers, poppers, craw patterns, and san juan worms if they are real finicky. I usually use a 6 wt rod for relatively small fish.

C99c and BoTheHunter like this.
  19. BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter Member

Can some of yall post some pics of flies i can catch smallies on? Thanks, bo.

C99c likes this.
  20. BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter Member

I checked him out and he has some very informative videos.

Strigidae likes this.