Hidden Woodsmen Haversacks

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by koolaidnd, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Kevo

Kevo Member

Ah got it. That looks like a pretty solid carrying system too.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

The haversack was too much sometimes the mother works when I want less. The haversack is still good kit I just carry less. When I have space I want to fill it.

Kevo likes this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Member

My thought on the haver is to pair down space from my current day pack so I quit overpacking haha. Same thought process. I'm going from a rush 12 with a whole bunch of crap hanging off of it.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

The more you know the less you carry. I see two good methods for reducing. One (least preferred) go to smaller pack first and pick and choose. Second (preferred) you keep a gear journal or have reflection after each trip, reduce gear and then buy a smaller pack. I can elaborate on the second method if you would like...

Kevo likes this.
  5. Kevo

Kevo Member

Please do!

BlueDogScout likes this.
  6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So the log is important. You track what gear you use and frequency of use. When you get back to sort everything into 3 piles. The first pile is the stuff you used constantly. (Knife saw, cook pot etc) the second pile is stuff you used but less frequently (20 sticks of fatwood, spork, 12 pairs of socks, lantern etc) and the 3rd pile is stuff you didn’t use. (Rain Gear and first aid stuff don’t go here even if not used) the 3rd pile goes away. The second pile gets evaluated. The first pile is maintained. All items can be replaced with smaller better items as you can. You can also put a category in your log to see what you carry the most of (paredo graph) then you can look at what you can improve with lighter/smaller items or multi use items.

Kevo and Strigidae like this.
  7. Kevo

Kevo Member

That's a great system! I could stand to do that for every one of my gear sets. I'm a what if type of packer and it makes my back hurt.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I understand that lol I went from 60 lbs dry weight to 25lbs using this and buying better/lighter/smaller gear. Always trying new stuff. Don’t forget just like Kephart cup you can keep things because you like them.

Kevo likes this.
  9. Kevo

Kevo Member

I just ordered a Finnish gas mask bag from @5col to see how I like a haversack before putting down for one of these.

5col, BlueDogScout and RocketmanDane like this.
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

5col, BlueDogScout and Kevo like this.
  11. Kevo

Kevo Member

BlueDogScout and RocketmanDane like this.
  12. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I like my haversack for what it is. I use it to carry the absolute minimum, maybe 5 pounds total. I see the massive loads of stuff that some people carry in a single shoulder bag and it makes me cringe.

BlueDogScout and Kevo like this.
  13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@koolaidnd
    I agree with carrying the minimum amount of stuff.
    IMO you should carry in a haversack (I am sure I’ll forget to list something)
    Water storage, bottle, pouch etc. (ideally nested with a cooking instrument mentioned below.
    Cooking pot/ cup/ dish which ever fits your needs best
    Shelter wether a tarp, blanket, poncho or similar to protect you from the elements.
    Fire making kit
    Cordage
    Knife and sharpening tool
    First aid kit
    Gloves
    Extra socks ( I am big on dry feet)
    Food

@Kevo Thanks!
    I really tried to be practical with the bag.
    I like the waist strap but hanging on the side of the bag just isn’t practical so I added that small pocket.
    The blue liner is multi functional. I found that items would slip out if the bag was pressed wrong so it stops that. The bottom flap functions to cover the inside pocket for extra security. It also lets me create a separate area under the lid. I simply fold the fabric over the lower items and then place items in and cinch the top cord. This is extra helpful if you need to carry something that won’t let your outside flap close.
    For the shoulder strap I really wanted options. By making the strap swappable I find it far more functional based on what I am carrying. I have long used it as a diaper bag and the original strap works fine. But when I stuff it with gear I swap to a wider and padded strap for comfort.
    The one modification I am going to do next is add buckles and straps to the lid. Mine has seen such use that the metal snaps are starting to come loose to easy. So I have long thought of it and am now going to added the straps for more secure closure.

Kevo and BlueDogScout like this.
  14. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Agreed too much weight is bad on the back in a shoulder carry. With watermy MCC weight like 9-10 pounds but it’s everything but bedding.