Advanced Bushcraft October 2019 Rollcall

Discussion in 'Randall's Adventure & Training®' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 3, 2019.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

With a little over a month until Advanced Bushcraft class.

Who is planning on being there?

Any tips or tricks for the first timers?

Additional “non required” gear recommendations?

Hotel recommendations for those in need? (Comfort suites looks all booked up)

Dinning or gear shopping recommendations?

Must visit places in the area?

(I’ll be there :) )

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    dm1995 and mtngoat like this.
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I’ll be there.

As for gear I’ll tell you what @Patrick Rollins told me, bring what ever you want.

On Saturday night we all got together and had a massive cook out over the coals so I am bringing food just for that I am also bringing a smoker so feel free to use it if you want.

I will be camping onsite so not worried about a hotel but there are a few in town, there is a good Mexican place near the farm as well as a Cracker Barrel. If you need anything there is a Walmart also.

I look forward to meeting you.

3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I’m still 50/50 on whether to stay in a hotel. I have a nice 10x10 tent that takes about 5 minute to set up I can use. I’m thinking that keeping my truck intact (no sleeping platform installed) would be better.

Only hesitation I have is I would need to find a pay to shower spot. (I know sometimes KOA or state parks have a place to shower)

If a big cookout sounds like it’s going to happen I would gladly bring extras :)

I think for gear that I am going to pack a tub of different gear, knives etc. And swap out as needed or to lend to folks who might need or want to try something.. I’ve got plenty of goodies and gadgets to try.

It will be good to put some faces to names. I might just wear my “hello my name is” patch most of the time. I think is funny.

4. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

That’s how I usually pack my gear for this class, put it in a tub and swap out as needed. I feel you on the shower but there’s always the leach pond. I think the friends that are going with me got a hotel so I may crash their shower.

I am going light on the tent just bringing my hammock, I’ll be back up there for the parent child class with my big tent for my little princess.

RocketmanDane and Strigidae like this.
  5. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy Member

Me (quinton)and a buddy (james)are coming from Oklahoma,plan to camp.
    Whats the weather like in Alabama at that time?
    Just bringing basics,nothing i wouldn't take camping or hunting.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  6. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I think if you stay in a hotel you miss out on a big part of the Bushcraft class experience...A big portion of the fun is the Hang Out after class around the campfire amongst the students...

Bring any gear you want to try out....

Not much to see in Gallant Alabama....

Walmart and some fast food are close....

I would NOT buy a bunch of gear BEFORE this class bc you will likely be buying MORE gear after the class...bring what you have...plan to use it, test it, and there will always be MORE options to use/test/discover in the class.

Bring WATER, Food for lunch/snacks/ etc.... a comfortable chair to sit in....tarps are good....folding table/kitchen if you have it make it nice....it's a relaxed setting and a car camping trip...so whatever you would normally do for that....

A good backpack to tote stuff from classroom to bum camp..and back....etc...

Paracord or some kind of cordage if you need to make an impromptu shelter..

Weather?....who knows....could be 30 or it could be 64....it could rain, snow, or you could get sunburned....it's the Farm in Alabama...so if you don't like the weather.....wait a minute and it will change....come prepared for anything....Layers are key.

7. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I was getting ready to say about the same thing.

8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@shaneadams90
    Can you officially or not recommend a local campground that has pay shower facility’s?

Being 30 days or so out I’m getting pretty excited!

As far as gear I’ve pretty much cut myself off from spending on new stuff. Like @shaneadams90 said i am sure their will be plenty of new things I “need” after this class.

The one item I’ve really considered buying was the JG axe but instead I am going to wait and get my hands on one at the class before I make that decision.

I will have to see if I can find it... But I should have a full spool or 2 worth of 550 laying around (that is ALOT of 550 cord) If I can find it I’ll make sure to toss in extra JIK someone forgets some.

When I read the description I think it says their is officially only 12 students.. and it looks like so far we account for 6 of the 12 :)

1. @mtngoat
    2. Mtngoats friend
    3. Mtngoats friend
    4. @coopsdaddy
    5. Coopsdaddys friend
    6. @RocketmanDane (me) (Dane)
    7. @Kaw-liga

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    mtngoat likes this.
  9. shaneadams90

No one takes showers at Bushcraft and you don't want to be the guy smelling "pretty" by the fire....no camping facilities close by that I can recommend.....

I am sure there will be a JG Axe floating around you can use and SEE used by the man himself...

dm1995, mtngoat and RocketmanDane like this.
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@shaneadams90 IMO showers or a dip in a creek is very important. :)

Heck If it was allowed I would have planned to bring my small 12 ft pull behind camper( smaller then most utility trailers) . But that would be stretching the primitive camping definition a little bit.

Not sure @Jeff Randall would appreciate it..

On a side comment I really like it because it all set up to not need power hookups and an you can easily spend a week in it before you need to dump water. I also like it because it’s small enough to just leave hooked up for a whole trip. I have dragged it back and forth cross country and love it . But I digress!

I was trying to not spend any more money on gear prior to the class.. But everyone with the spoon and bowl carving convinced be to order a spoon knife and tool.

The 2 questions I’ve thought of.
    #1 Does ESEE send a email prior to class with info such as show time etc?

#2 Is it possible instead of ordering gear specifically through the ESEE website. Are items such as extra sheaths available to buy at the class.. ( I was thinking probably no..)

@mtngoat what type of smoker are tou bringing? Might just take you up on that offer :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    mtngoat likes this.
  11. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

@RocketmanDane it is a tower smoker similar to this one
    EC22AE2D-FDD3-4932-B5D2-B32621AA73AD.jpeg

Nothing fancy but it works.

Zeek and RocketmanDane like this.
  12. shaneadams90

Feel free to bring your camper....we have plenty of places to park it... although there are no power/water hook ups so you will need to be self contained....no creeks but there are a few leech filled ponds....feel free to help yourself....Jeff hasn't ed the leeches in a while so I'm sure they will be glad to see you.

Glad you got a spoon knife you will love it till you use one of James'.....you will throw it away once you order one from James Gibson....

Patrick will send an email out that will answer all the questions you've asked and MORE....

We NEVER sell product at the classes and rarely even mention that we are ESEE Knives....we like to keep the two separate to keep the instruction honest. You have time to now to order what you need....

you can find what you need here:
    https://eseeknives.com/esee-store-categories

or here...under GEAR:
    https://randallsadventure.com/gear/misc-gear

mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  13. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Id grab a hotel and save your pennies for what james gibson has to sell. His stuff is top notch and not expensive. If he goes to his car follow him and buy everything in his trunk. Trust me.

shaneadams90 and mtngoat like this.
  14. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

This is the best advice I have heard in awhile.

shaneadams90 and Strigidae like this.
  15. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

James usually has at least one sentry posted in case the crowd gets out of hand. 589619F4-5000-42F8-9BF8-2684CCEFE750.jpeg

mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  16. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Only reason we hired Patrick was to be Gibson's bodyguard.

17. shaneadams90

everyone knows James doesn't need a body guard.... if things get out of hand he just drops a smoke bomb and ninjas outta there...

kreeves, mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  18. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Yes, Patrick carries his smoke bombs

mtngoat, shaneadams90 and Strigidae like this.
  19. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@shaneadams90

Heck if it is allowed I will just drag my camper with me. Im going to have to drive my truck anyways and it doesn’t hurt the gas much. Yes self contained is 100% a yes.

All joking aside on the showers I did manage to find a place under 10 minutes away that will let you shower for $5 so I’m good on that. Which is a additional bonus because the 15 gallon waste tank for the toilet and sink goes a lot farther with no shower water. But somehow I feel that the shower thing is going to be a running joke :)

I actually skipped a step on the spoon knife evolution . The one I have on order is a JG spoon knife. :) It will be ready in time for class.

Copy that on the buying ESEE stuff. I

@Strigidae
    Oh I have been warned about JG and his shenanigans :) I have a feeling that the 2 small items I have on order won’t be the only JG items I end up taking home

mtngoat likes this.
  20. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Count me in fellas, I look forward to seeing you all there!