Grayl water purification systems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Se7eN, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

so, I’ve been looking at getting a grayl water filtration system. They seem to be incredible, but I wanted everyone else’s opinion?

Does anyone have one of these? Are they worth it?

I LOVE the idea of a water purification system that filters bacteria, hydrocarbons, and viruses all in one compact drinking bottle.

Sure beats my MSR miniworks EX, Nalgene bottle and water purification tablets to take care of the viruses.

Thoughts?

@Bushman5 @Jeff Randall

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

$$$$$

$$$$$ for replacement filter

Only filters 250 Liters of water...........before you drop big $$$ on a replacement filter. Considering that we drink about 5-10 litres of water a day on our bushwhacking hikes...... that’s only a filter lifespan of 25 - 35 days .

Better hope your water has zero sediment and is crystal clear all the time or that filter lifespan goes down big time

It only treats just under a half liter of water at a time........that’s like 3 sips of water...........means your going to be constantly opening , filling, putting the top back on, pressing down , drinking , repeating , just to get good drink of water (I tend to drink a liter of water every 30-45 minutes of heavy exertion - your intake may differ)

I think the concept is great for emergency use (for a couple days max) but for everyday use save your $$$ for steaks and just bandana filter crud out and treat with chlorine dioxide solution. (EF-Chlor, MSR , Etc ) . (That little bottle of solution I have can treat 200 liters clear water, 100 liters really dirty water), weighs less than 3 oz and costs less than $5

I would toss the GRAYL in the pack of recreational hikers for occasional or emergency use however. But your style of hiking and adventure is not really recreational.

Not dissuading you from buying one...... but I think your MSR pump filter is a far better choice than the GRAYL. Weighs about the same too.

I would personally upgrade your pump filter to the Katadyn Pocket filter pump . Only weighs 550 grams, has a nominal filter life of 50,000 liters (clear water) and is aluminum body (no breakage , rebuildable seals/O rings, inexpensive replacement filter) , no nalgene bottle required (has output port / hose) . Put your MSR into the truck emergency survival kit and the Katadyn into your pack

Or just boil in your Titanium canteen for free. Or boil in your new MKETTLE SAS boiler :)

My .02 cents CAD (.25 cents USD)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  3. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

That’s exactly why I asked. Seemed like a neat piece of gear, but it’s very “ Banff day hiker” gear.

Hey! @Bushman5 , maybe that’s what those hikers were banging around when the were trying to scare the “ bear “ away on our adventure? They were just trying to filter water lmao

I hear the grayl is hard to press down, even if the water is clear.

The katadyne pocket is a wicked filter.

And you’re right about consumption... we burn through water pretty fast, especially if we are cooking with it too.

Steak money is the priority lol

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

YouTube review

6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I’m not sold on it. I prefer a filter and boiling. I am working on a drinking tube setup for my HC canteen. If I can sort that out then I can have an inline filter. If I can’t worth that out I’ll do the same thing with a 2-4 liter dromedary bag.

7. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

I like how convenient the Grayl system is. That’s what made me interested in the first place. Time will tell!

BlueDogScout likes this.
  8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

It does seem convenient, I can concede to that point, but to me a cheaper inline water filter makes more sense with a water reservoir. Using canteens I don’t want to carry an extra bottle so that’s where my hang up is. If you carry bottles, @5col carries a great drinking tube system from source tactical. Just my opinion. If you like it, but it and use it that’s all that matters.

5col likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Get one a MILLBANK BAG (from thebushcraftstore) and some EF-CHLOR tabs.

Less than 6oz weight total

(If you do an order let me know. I want one too, plus other stuff)

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

It seems convenient, but I think unscrewing the cap, filling it, putting the cap back on, pushing up and down, taking 3 sips of water, repeating first step , will get old. Lol

I’d say buy it try it then bin it :D

BlueDogScout likes this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

12. Black5

Black5 Member

I looked HARD at one of those after I lost my survivor filter (thieving *$#&$).

I agree with @Bushman5 on everything he says. I read lots of reviews, and I was not impressed with some of the comments.

I still like the survivor pro because it filters viruses, and with the agricultural run off around here, that's a good thing.

Prior to it's loss, it never failed me and I never got sick.

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

some math:

the Katadyn Pocket pro will filter 50,000 Liters before slowing down and even then it goes for several thousand more liters. (this is well documented)

lets say you drink 8 liters a day filtered thru the Katadyn - that gives you 6250 days of hiking before the filter needs replacing. That is 17 years if you hiked every day. Now factor in weekend only hikes.........(damn work...grumble grumble) and you could potentially go 4 plus decades running that filter.

50,000 / the cost of the Katadyn ($435 , say $475 with taxes) = approx 1 CENT per liter for clean water.

not bad considering the katadyn is $475 with taxes.........the initial outlays stings...but you did drop $900 on a BUSSE......hahahahaha. One of your 16 hours days would cover it. Think about that.....1 long day of work = 1 Katadyn Pocket Filter.

think long term.......

the Grayl is short term. like a few days.

Don't be a Grayl. Be a Katadyn.

ok i'll quit now :D

BlueDogScout and Black5 like this.
  14. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So I’m just going to say bushy hates it... if you have one throw it in the fire. If you want one, think again lol Bushy Rule # 832 don’t buy crappy filters lol

15. CWB

CWB Member

We love ours

BlueDogScout, Se7eN and Bushman5 like this.
  16. BigJake

BigJake Member

I have one and like it just fine. I use it mostly at work, because there always seems to be something up with the crappy well we are on. It's not the fastest to use though. So for woods time, I like the sawyer or befree more as they seem to process water a little quicker.

Bushman5, BlueDogScout and Strigidae like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

@Se7eN , forget the Graly......get a SEYCHELLE canteen. It will fit into your existing canteen pouch and you get 38 oz of water.

for the price of the GRAYL , you can get TWO SEYCHELLE canteens. NO PUMPING REQUIRED. Just fill, cap and drink.

filters 100 gallons water. (380 Liters)

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: just ordered 6 , got em for $20 USD each - smoking deal from OpenTip ! - they are like $60 - 90 CAD up here..........

Two are yours. No idea how long until at my door. LOL....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    BigJake likes this.
  18. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

@Bushman5 lmao!!!!

You are the best!!!

19. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

These actually look really legit!!!

Bushman5 likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member