Precision Rifle Competiton

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bcamos, May 14, 2019.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Picked up a WieBad Berry Bag from Snipers Hide. Hopefully it'll be more versatile than my current options.
    I was hoping to be able to pick up some sort of pump pillow or barrier specific bag but I don't think that's going to be in the budget.

upload_2019-5-22_18-45-42.png

Wisdom, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  2. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

And I'm in business! Now I just have to make it there haha

upload_2019-5-23_8-36-13.png

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Make sure to wear some big jim overalls or something. NO ONE likes to get beat by a farmer chewing on a piece of grass.

Zeek, Bushman5 and Bcamos like this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

HAHAHA Oh ****.... I know exactly who I can borrow a pair from. I can wear my straw hat and big muck boots too.

5. Strigidae

Exactly. In the cycling world we called it "the kid in jeans." You were racing up a hill in all your kit and a kid in jeans and no shoes on his moms bike passes you.

6. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Always be aware of the man who doesn't look like he knows what he's doing. Always.

Hammer, Bushman5, Bcamos and 2 others like this.
  7. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Yes sir! The ones dressed for the job are usually the ones compensating for lack of skill haha

Zeek likes this.
  8. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Ammo should be showing up today. Weathermeter arrived yesterday. It makes the ballistics apps so much more effective (I think).

I'll probably end up selling the Wiebad because it basically covers the same size and purpose as my current rear bag. Or I'll hang onto it as a spare or something.

I just ordered a Black Branch Gecko 2 for use as a barricade bag.
    [​IMG]

9. Strigidae

Diaper filled with doll parts would be better. Especially if an arm falls out during a movement.

10. Strigidae

Hope you get some range time to get your initial dope figured out.

11. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I will. I took a half day off of work next Friday so I'll get a few hours on the range the day before the match.

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  12. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Ready to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek, C99c and Strigidae like this.
  13. Strigidae

Good luck! You will do great!

Bcamos likes this.
  14. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Thank you! I sure hope so haha. What originally gained my interest was how cheap this match is compared to others. Seems like most other matches give out real gear as prizes so the entry fees can be a couple hundred dollars. This match is meant to just be fun so the prizes are t-shirts and stuff, which keeps the entry fee way down. However, being my first one I've had to procure a lot of gear, and with needing some practice on top of getting some actual DOPE with this new rifle setup we're going a day ahead of the match and staying in a hotel.

Add all that up and this $50 match has turned into a $500 weekend haha. That's okay though, the next one will just be the cost of the match and ammo!

Zeek and C99c like this.
  15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

You will do fine. Good luck and keep us posted !

Strigidae likes this.
  16. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

This was probably the most fun I've ever had behind a rifle. We got there on Friday, some of the Pro shooters were there and they really helped me get everything straight. We chrono'd the rifle and then shot out to 850yds with constant 5-8mph gusts. The guy I was working with also taught me how to build a stable position on a barricade.

On Saturday, we got my buddy setup with his loaner rifle and dove right in. In the prone positions, I'd say I did pretty well for someone shooting .308. I made solid hits on the 1050yd target (the farthest target of the day). What really messed me up was the positional shooting, and fighting the wind. I have enough ammo to shoot next months match, but after that I'll probably be looking to switch over to either 6.5 Creemoor or 6 Creedmoor. Overall, I learned more in those 2 days than I ever have by reading or watching someone else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

One issue that came up, I was having problems with my 10rd mag staying in the gun. During bench/prone shooting, my 10rd Pmag stayed in and fed just fine. But during the match, my 10rd Pmag would fall out after pulling the trigger. I'd slam it back in, load the next round, pull the trigger and the mag was back on the ground again.

A guy at the match let me borrow one of his 10rd Accurate Mags and it had the same issue. But my 6rd Pmags don't have that problem at all. While inserting either the Accurate Mag or the 10rd Pmag, I literally can't rip them out of the mag well (testing the mag catch) by hand. But when loaded, they both just fell out while shooting. I assumed it was a recoil + magazine weight thing just compounding together.

I should be able to adjust the magwell fit by adjusting the trigger guard position on my chassis. I'll give that a try to see if that helps at all.

I will say, I got pretty impressed with my speed to dig a new mag out of my magazine holster and get it in the gun to finish the stage before the timer went off haha.

Zeek, IW17 and Strigidae like this.
  18. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Just finished up my second match on a Saturday. I felt that I was way more prepared for this one, but I shot worse than my first match. The wind was insane with the hurricane coming into the region and I was just kind of in a funk all day. But overall, I had a good time and I’m looking forward to the next one.

Good news is, I had no magazine related issues all day. Though I've found that when I slam the bolt home, the firing pin will drop. This is the first time I've noticed this with my Triggertech trigger, and it seems to happen no matter where the pull is adjusted to (it's set at about half right now, so not super light). However, it only happened twice during the match and I had to really slam it forward for it to happen. It didn't cause an ND, just light primer strikes.

19F2CE9F-493F-47C1-87D0-D7F1E10F4222.jpeg
    1B466FE6-E1CC-40DB-8418-845EBB7F633B.jpeg
    FF2EB430-E7D7-4AB9-9833-E13FF0057CC0.jpeg
    86B188DE-8095-4BBF-8375-C92277E2F5F0.jpeg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    IW17, Strigidae, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Zeek likes this.