Reloading thread??

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Paycheck, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I'm looking to get into it, just now getting all the pieces and components together, hoping to load my first few 300BLK next week or so. I couldn't find any threads on the subject, so maybe some of you more experienced reloaders can share experiences and info....not just for 300BLK, but reloading in general: cheap components, dos and don'ts, tips, basics etc.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Here you go...
    Link

3. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

Sweet. Wonder why it didn't show up on search.

Strigidae, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  4. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Some of the reloading component companies have some good videos on YouTube. There is some other really good information on there also but you almost have some experience to weed out the B___ S__T and it can be dangerous.

5. Solo

Solo Member

My first time reloading for the 300blk , I got a case stuck on the die. Haven’t been back since. My whole setup is in boxes now.

I may get dies and components for the 6.5 Grendel when I get enough used brass to make it worth it.

Haven’t jumped into cans yet and my blk out upper just started to run without jams, so I never saw the need.

I got my first Grendel for x-mas and think it is a great do all round. I’m now hooked on that and the cheap steel cased Russian ammo.

6. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I only reload 9mm, 25-06, and just now getting into .308

I've done thousands of pistol rounds, just a few hundred rifle rounds.

It's a great hobby. You CAN save money if you do it correctly. The reload snobs always look down on me but I only use Lee products. And I never tumble my pistol brass. And I get the brass for free from friends or range days. Order bullets online and you can load some cheap ammo.

I do it to be able to shoot more. I don't necessarily do it to get the most accurate rounds. Pistol accuracy is virtually irrelevant for my use. Once I get a rifle round that is good enough, I just go with that. I don't keep playing with loads. My end goal is to kill things that taste good, not put 3 rounds into 1 hole. That is something that has no allure for me.

gobblegobble likes this.
  7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

What powder do you use and where do you source it? For 9mm.

8. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Titegroup. I have bought it at local gun stores and Cabela's.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. ny700

ny700 Member

Some tips if you want to call them that:

Remember that the published load data is generally very conservative (and that’s a good place to be when starting out) but the data is specific to the components and measurements.

COAL is one of the biggest factories to squeezing the most accuracy out of your rig, but it will also adjust cartridge capacity and therefore pressure so you can start chafing your tail a bit as you adjust one as it will change the other. Most rifles like the Bullet right at the lands +/- .001-.002. It’s often best to start there with a conservative load and build up from there. Assuming it fits In your magazine.

Pick a powder you have access too. Talk to your local gun store and see which powders they have been able to keep stocked. Nothing worse then spending the time and money working up a load to then not be able to consistently get a specific component.

Be mindful of temperature. Some powders are more temp sensitive then others. If your best load is at max load and it’s 70* out. You may have an issue if your shooting in the heat of summer and your ammo is baking in the sun or a hot chamber.

Invest in a good chronograph. The only two these days worth getting are the magnetospeed line or the labradar. They are both pricey but easily worth their weight. Which one I would suggest really depends on intended use, how into this you plan on getting and how many various firearms your shooting. Both are very accurate.

Keep accurate data logs. 1. For safety 2. To make sure your not wasting time and money guessing on what you did.

Remember 100yards is a good start but depending on what you plan on doing it may it be enough to really highlight the changes in variables. Since your talking 300blk long range isn’t your game but you may see a big shift at 200 vs 100 yards especially if the bullet isn’t stabilizing well

JMick and Zeek like this.
  10. Solo

Solo Member

I have a problem with the magnetospeed. Hanging on your barrel you change the harmonics and POI. So you can’t tell which load gives you the best accuracy.

11. Strigidae

Just a question, but isnt the magneto speed for finding speed of the projectile only?

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  12. Solo

Solo Member

Yes, which is why it is nearly useless. How do you determine which combination at which powder measurement gives you best accuracy? Can’t use it for handguns either.

13. Strigidae

Ladder test?

14. ny700

ny700 Member

3A461D0C-6666-4002-AAEF-CCC0F01D0438.jpeg 98D0B217-99FD-4FDB-94CA-9691F7A38435.png

Actually my experience having shot a couple thousand rounds over about 8 rifles is that the magnetospeed has very little effect on accuracy.

Now yes there is often, especially with smaller barrel profiles, a POI shift. But that is not the same thing as accuracy issue and one clearly isn’t zeroing a scope while doing load development at the same time.

Now the hand gun statement that is clearly an area the magnetospeed was not originally designed to solve hover they certainly can be.

Also companies are designing extension tube mounts to solve the barrel harmonics issues like the one David Tubb used for King if 2 mile. And my position is if David tubbs signs off on it than it’s valid!

But this is also why i like the labradar. The one thing I know for sure is between the sporter midelnof the magnetospeed which I have the V3 version and the labradar thatbive been running for the last few months, I will never have an old school chronograph with the screens on it again

Solo, Strigidae and Zeek like this.