Ak and Com Bloc Weapons Pic Thread

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by HoneyBadger47, Nov 25, 2018.

1. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

Here it is, the com bloc weapons enthusiasts thread. Post as you please!

Currently the collection is a M59/66 yugo sks , a Chinese M53 (M44 but Chinese), a Vepr in 762.54r and a RAS47.....

I do live on the left coast for now so excuse the index...

The Vepr is the pride of the collection and will eventually be dressed as a SVD/m91 Clone, but for now its more or less as I bought it. Its pictured with a meridian brake but its currently sporting a Lantac (west coast laws make it very difficult to not get the look when sporting a flash hider on a LEGAL rifle). The optic is a sight mark wolfhound 6x44 which is decent, just heavy. Will be replacing with something more appropriate eventually. Was mounted on a MI mount till it broke; mine has actually broke twice in different spots.... Carolina 10 rd mags as well as the stock Molot 5, I have had some feeding issues form the 10 round mags, especially with the steel Tula ammo.

The yugo sks is a pleasure to shoot, had to have the grenade launcher removed so it is sporting a JMAC brake and a mag wedge rail. I will out shoot my buddy's Mini 30. Its a very fun and handy rifle, and would recommend them to anyone willing to clean the cosmoline off of them.

The M53 was bought more or less as is. Was at a local gun store looking for a mosin and saw it on the wall. The previous owner put the plastic stock on and apparently neglected it. The shop cleaned it up and cerakoted it and priced it to sell. Its a shame that this happened to it but it is what it is. I use it as a scout rifle, especially when I'm scouting for hunting spots in the off season (pigs and coyotes are pretty much open season year round and I consider them a target of opportunity whenever presented).

The RAS47 not seen was not one of my better choices but I honestly haven't had any of the reported problems. I also baby it and pretty much use it as a loaner when I go to the range with someone new to firearms or someone who does own but wants to shoot a com bloc pattern rifle.

Eventually I want to add a Finnish mosin, an AMD65, a M76 or PSL (depending on what I do with my VEPR; I'm intrigued by the 8mm Mauser in an ak pattern rifle), an M92, an RPK, and probably a rifle dynamics rifle if the wallet will allow it (wood stock with the Romanian dong hand guard ideally). I would love a valmet but they seem harder and harder to find at an acceptable price. Maybe even an SVT40 or more SKSs if they are priced right; they definitely are not priced like the used to be.

fullsizeoutput_d9.jpeg

PQoFecXoTAa84NaYh+9XCA.jpg

Kaw-liga, JohnGer and Strigidae like this.
  2. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Now you are speaking my language....

Gonna let you in on a little secret....I am a HUGE AK fan....I can't get @Jeff Randall or @Patrick Rollins to even put a round down range but I am a fan.

I am an Arsenal fan-boy but it's hard to beat the Chinese when it comes to AKs...

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

...this is why they are in charge Shane... ;) ;) AKs serve their purpose of course however :D

Kaw-liga, shaneadams90 and Strigidae like this.
  4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Polys were still around $250 last time I checked in 88. Has the price changed any over the years? 4E83C905-71ED-48AD-B350-4D1A244F8614.jpeg

5. shaneadams90

Tragically I lost ALL of my guns in a tragic Jon-boat accident....however I do keep some photos around to make remind me of the good'ole days....

Photo carpet-bombing in bound...

Saiga Made Arsenal with Russian Folder from factory....pretty rare and one of a my few safe queens...
    IMG_9236.jpg

SBR--way too much fun.
    IMG_9237.jpg

Some of my miscreant "friends" and an AK class with a guy that remains nameless...
    IMG_9240.jpg

Arsenal SLR 101s....milled gun runs like a Singer sewing machine...
    IMG_9241.jpg

If you know....you know..... Bakelite goodness. Tula and Izmash.
    IMG_9239.jpg

Arsenal SAM7....refinished the furniture in Russian red.....Yes, I know it's Bulgarian but I like it....so there.
    IMG_9242.jpg

Typical day at the range with another buddy that shares the same affliction...
    IMG_9244.jpg

IMG_9245.jpg

AK Class.....some good campfire stories about this class...
    16711967_10211154652096359_3974508037876427175_n.jpg

PSL is fun to shoot but it's no tack driver....still MoM at 300 yards though.... (minute of man)
    IMG_9246.jpg

6. shaneadams90

Actually with Trump in the Whitehouse they've dropped in value....I'll take pity on you and give you $200 on it....but not a dollar more!

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  7. DYSPHORIC JOY

That is what I admire about this place, good honest folk who are always eager to help a feller out. I think I will just throw it back in the closet pile with 90 series rifles since none of those gas systems come close to the AR series.

8. shaneadams90

I grew up going to gun shows with my dad....I can remember his scoffing at CRATES of AKs that were SUPER cheap even then....Good LORD if I had a time machine!...

I know a guy that ran across a widow that did not know the value of her collection....this guy inquired about a Polytech Legend....she priced it to him for what was on the box....thankfully the guy has some morals and paid something very close to FMV.....and she was stunned....ultimately this guy ended up liquidating a very large collection of guns for this woman.....That guy is nicer than people say he is.....so I hear.

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  9. DYSPHORIC JOY

I have enough Polytech and HK 90 series stories to provide at least three nights of campfire fodder.

10. DYSPHORIC JOY

I knew a similar guy with a similar story only the guns were SP89s among other German weapons......in the late 90s!

11. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

The new imported psls with Russian glass are $2k+. Saw a post somewhere of a old rusted mosin for $350. We live in strange times....
    These bans are also really cutting into ammo prices and availability. Can still get 7.62x39 for about $.21 a round but the cheapest I’ve gotten 54r was $.48 and I have stayed away from 5.45 because it’s nearly impossible to get bulk purchases where I live. Local shop carries the hornandy box of 20 for $8.99.

But can’t beat bakes and wood on an Ak. Definitely one of the best combos.

Kaw-liga and shaneadams90 like this.
  12. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

E00ACB46-2365-41D4-932B-FA42150DBDC8.jpeg

The family out on a desert trip.

13. Andy the Aussie

Of course when they all grow up...AK/HK/CZ/Steyr they want to be a FAL... :D

14. DYSPHORIC JOY

15. Andy the Aussie

....Indeed :D :D

shaneadams90 and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  16. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

You and my good buddy would get along great with your fal love. It’s a great rifle, honestly probably the best 7.62x51 battle rifle of the Cold War (G3/cetme have definitely been sold more, and m14 pattern rifles are good but not as good.... my own opinions not facts). It’s actually his mini 30 my sks will our shoot so it’s definitelt a little tit for tat. But when it comes to the fal, I look to what Israel and South Africa did. Both tried it and ended going with an ak pattern rifle.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  17. Andy the Aussie

It’s open to debate that there are more G3’s in service (at least 90 countries went the way of the FAL and the G3 only came around as the Belgians were still pissed at the Germans and would not licence them manufacture and the M14, while a great rifle, I use to have a couple of Winchesters were really a dumb dumb move on the part of the US).

The world moved to 5.56 and AK patterns are usable is that calibre. Many moons ago I had a Valmet 71s, it was a nice rifle but arguably too heavy for the round. I had my SLRs long after the 71s moved on. They are of course quite different approaches to a fighting rifle (7.62 vs 5.56) and each have their place. We here trialled the Galil against the AUG and M16A2 (and others that were eliminated along the way). The Galil was the winner in the practical trials, the M16A2 made the most sense, but the AUG was chosen. I could go into why but nothing related to the rifles themselves.

For me, unless it was to be an entire CQB environment then I would happily clutch an L1A1F1 to my chest (I would add a couple of easily available mods) and never be worried :) :)

That is not to say I truely dislike or hold the AK in disdane !!

18. shaneadams90

I had a DSA paratrooper for a while and could never warm up to the FAL platform...I wanted to like it, I really did, but just never found the same comfort level with it...maybe a few thousand more rounds downrange and I would have, but that was another issue.....ammo cost.

I got in early on the 7.62x39 when ammo was still cheap and did what any good gun guy would do....I bought it cheap an stacked it deep....same with 5.56. I can go out and shoot my ONLY AK that didn't go down with the Jonboat and not worry about replacement cost of ammo.. I can't say the same for x51 ammo....or even 5.56 (although it has come way down)

19. DYSPHORIC JOY

You are killing me dredging up old memories. Steel core 7.62x 39: 99cents per 20rnd box at my local Gas Station. SKS with milled trigger group $49. HK 94: $359.
    FAL: Buy one get 3 free with loop for boat anchor use and extra carpenter’s clamp in case you want a scope mount option:D

20. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

It would be a tough debate for me (for a 7.62x51 battle rifle) between a FAL pattern rifle and 7.62 Galil or Valmet.

Im not the biggest fan of 5.56 as a caliber but it is gaining popularity here for AK pattern rifles. 5.45 is getting harder to get, especially in comparison to 5.56/.223. Comparing 5.45 to 5.56 isn't. the fairest debate because of the time difference between their development. I believe the thinking into the 5.45 and the AK74 is sound in that the round was built around the 16" barrel, which to me is the "Goldie Lox" barrel. It gives you enough length to reach out for MoM but is still handy. The Recce Rifle concept that has come up in the last decade is a great concept.

The AUG is a great rifle, would almost prefer it over an AR pattern rifle because of the operating system. I just have difficulties with the idea of a bull pup.

Kaw-liga and shaneadams90 like this.