Front Runner Boxes...

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Andy the Aussie, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

....I see a few of you miscreants picture these in threads here. I have just discovered they are now available here in Aus (along with all the "Front Runner" gear) what are your thoughts on them ? Mostly looking at them for internal storage (my 80 has a deck in the cargo bay that lets me put boxes gear under and gear stacked on top).

I have Pelican and Space Case hard boxes for up on he rack when I use it.

Cheers all :D

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

While I won't say they're the storage solution for everyone they're pretty dang sweet for our purposes and I'll have a hard time trying anything else out. So far they've done a great job of staying secure without a crazy amount of attaching, and they definitely keep dust and what not out. I picked up two in May and two more in July. They fit perfectly between the fender wells of the Tacoma. I will say that you might want to look at the high top lid. We're going to get two of those and run them on our boxes we keep fluids and few other tall items in. A buddy sat on one of mine and the lid dented in some, but it popped right back up.

[​IMG]

My next Front Runner purchase will be their camp chairs. They fold flat and deploy really quickly.

Edit: Meant to say we just strap these down, but they also have cool corner mounts that lock them into the racks they make as well.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Datilite and Bushman5 like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Esee MISCREANT #1 here :D (is this like being a Deplorable, but Aussie style? )

this is why you want a lot of the Front Runner Boxes (specifically the WOLF PACK one, the larger box)

- stackable onto each other
    - lashing holes on outside of box
    - available extended room LID one can buy to ad more room.
    - compatible with Front Runner and other MFG's slide out drawer systems for 4x4's (see their website) I want that one for my Dad's Mazda pickup!

BUT

the most important reason you want one or ten...is the INSIDE STORAGE AREA has true 90 deg corners, flat.....no weird rotomoulding wasted space (looking at you Rubbermaid Action Packers)

IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0444.JPG

are they waterproof or dust proof or insect proof? NO. (there is no rubber or silicone seal per se.......they are pretty waterproof, rainproof, dustproof, unless you remove the lids in dusty winds.......like here in Lytton BC)

Do they help organize your gear ? YES 10/10 rating by me

do they MAXIMIZE the available space inside for your gear? YES. (10/10 rating by me)

nuff said.

the CUB PACKS are good as well, (i have TWO!) but not as good as the larger WOLF PACK boxes in my opinion.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Datilite, R Stowe and Zeek like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Thanks both, been at my truck with a tape measure, looks like I will be ordering 4x of them, three with the raised lips and one without... :D

R Stowe and Bushman5 like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

if you want i can take pics of the OD dimensions in inches of both the Wolf and Cub Pack boxes.

R Stowe likes this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Thanks mate I am good. I measure the boxes I am using here and then used the specs online. It's like they were made for my deck !

R Stowe and Bushman5 like this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Member

What about the MTM utility boxes? Lockable, stackable, tie down points and they have an o-ring seal...

martin_j001, Datilite and R Stowe like this.
  8. SteveG

SteveG Member

I've had some of these boxes for years now and have put countless 0ff-road miles on several vehicles (and one roll-over with them on the roof rack) with them strapped somewhere in or on the cars and seriously love them. The only drawback I see is that they are on the small side when carrying large supplies. I also see this as an advantage. What I like about them below:

-Truly stackable. I'm not talking Walmart bin stackable. These key into each other and stay together.
    -You can strap them down pretty darn tight without destroying them (I do, generally, notch the stand-offs on the lids where the straps lay).
    -They're not so big that when you load them with supplies, they weigh 200lbs... easy to do with commonly-sized storage boxes.
    -Durable. I toss them around quite a bit and have never hurt one.

I'm sure there are things I'm missing but, those are the highlights.

Bushman5 and R Stowe like this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Thanks all.

Zeek, I can get the MTm boxes here but they are not significantly cheaper than the Front Runner boxes either. I will probably but some of them anyway as they will actually fit in some gaps around the TLC better. I don't need the waterproofing inside the truck and for out on the roof I use the SpaceCase(s).

R Stowe and Zeek like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

11. SteveG

SteveG Member

Between my personal boxes and work, I think we’re uo to about 20... still loving these.

Here’s a cargo photo form our last Baja trip. They were tied down most of the time, but at the time of this photo, we were done off road and only pounding pavement for a day before loading the Bronco on the trailer.

60AC36D5-C955-4B6D-BDA4-76A2CF9F8264.jpeg

12. Andy the Aussie

Nah, they have been sitting in a cart (to buy) along with some of the raied lids but I have not pulled the trigger...mid-Jan I suspect.

13. McKROB

McKROB Member

@Bushman5 , do you have a Canadian source for the Wolf Pack cases?

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

15. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I just checked Canada Post with the product dimensions plus a few inches, and a weight of 7lbs. Regular parcel from a random Vancouver postal code to a random St. Johns postal code came out to $37.

Just food for thought.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    R Stowe likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

thats not bad at all!

R Stowe likes this.
  17. McKROB

McKROB Member

Thanks, I will check with my local off-road shop to see if they can maybe get them in too.

R Stowe likes this.
  18. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I just ordered two of the Wolf Pack models. Headed to Vegas in less than two weeks for SHOT, then on to Zion for 3 days to hike and play, so, will be able to store my outdoor gear in them on tope of the 4Runner.

SteveG, Bushman5 and R Stowe like this.
  19. McKROB

McKROB Member

EF3A02CB-3997-4452-91D3-769D0B66B3F6.jpeg
    Aluminum Zarges boxes are in a totally different league, and are substantially more money, but they are pretty awesome.

https://www.zargesusa.com/products/...attribute_pa_product_sku=40704&v=3e8d115eb4b3

I’ve got four Zarges Euroboxes for my survey equipment, (40704 x2, 40705 x2), and love them. Really durable and light weight, which makes them great for shipping (I bring mine as checked baggage all the time). They also stack well. There are lots of pics around of people using them in their overlanding setups (just google Zarges overlanding).

20. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Nice. They should do well. When we were in AZ they did a good job of keeping the dust out when I wasn’t running a camper. I need to order some high top lids for two of mine.