PRISTINE Water Purification Tablets are CRAP!

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bushman5, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

These PRISTINE tabs are readily available here in metro Vancouver, and relatively cheap. 50 blister packed tablets per sealed foil pouch. Treats 50 liters of water for about $8 CDN or so.

20180617_120416.jpg

But they f-ing freaking SUCK.......even new ones turn to gooey mush inside the blister packs in less than a few weeks. And who knows how long they may have been on the rack at the store.......

You literally have to scrape out the tablet with a safety pin or similar. This package I bought NEW today, but i have had this problem over and over and over again with the PRISTINE brand. The tabs turn to sticky doughy GOO

20180617_120421.jpg

my KATADYN tabs are way more expensive, and about the only thing that happens to them is they turn to powder in the pack after awhile ...but they are STILL usable, all of the tablet, even in powder form. Not so with the Pristine .....you have to use two or three of the melted sticky tabs just treat one liter of water. And they dissolve SO SLOW .......over an hour. I can treat water with the KATADYN tabs one the spot - right now,done! dissolved, gone, treated!

1 out 10. Esp after being told by Pristine that i should store the tabs in a cool dry place. Seriously? do you people at Pristine even hike?

:mad:

Reno Lewis likes this.
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Guess I'll be sticking to Katadyn, despite the higher cost. Will always prefer a filter, but tabs are good to have.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ good as backups to a main filtration system. However my load bearing rig is about dropping weight....hence the tablets over the heavy pump

4. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

Maybe the cat peed on them.

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

hahaha...no....they are new. This is about the 10th pack of tabs I have purchased, from various stores, and I've had this issue with all of them.

Its something in the binding agent......

anyways, this is the last time I buy these. Shame.....they are really cheap ($$) to buy....

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

picking up 4 x 100 tablet packs of Ef-Chlor Tabs this week.

they are inexpensive ($11 CDN per 100 tab package) and they treat 50 to 100 Liters PER tablet. (so for hiking i'll have to chip off tiny amounts of tablet per canteen.....but for camp these will be great for the water jerry cans)

also the only water purification/sterilization tablet in the world that is DOD and World Health Organization approved.

4 x 100 tabs treats approx 40,000 liters.

research article on Ef-Chlor

7. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I've never seen these, but thanks for the heads up.

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

cheap on Amazon.

these tabs have multi use......treating drinking water, disinfecting vegetables and fruits (washing) , disinfecting dishes and cutlery, surfaces etc (the Ef-Chlor)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  9. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to read that research article when I get settled down tonight.

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

its a very good read. Extremely indepth, with actual lab tests and results

Andris94 likes this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Update 2023

got another package of the Pristine tabs to test. Was hoping my feedback to Pristine would have resulted in change to the binding agent in the purification tabs.

Sadly , still the same crappy product as before, turns gooey and unusable after a few weeks

ZERO outta 10

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    Jtallen83 likes this.